AuthorTopic: Shadow of the Colossus GB De-make  (Read 4652 times)

Offline Suzaku

• View Profile

Shadow of the Colossus GB De-make

on: August 29, 2008, 11:48:32 am
Hey. I used to dabble in sprite editing quite a bit, but I have barely touched the stuff for a year or two now. I was browsing through Kotaku and came across a link to this: http://www.wayofthepixel.net/pixelation/index.php?topic=5016.0.

Suffice to say, I was inspired, and this is the result:

Everything's from scratch, though the Colossus is based pretty closely on some production art. I kinda cheaped out on the Colossus half-way through... doing 8x8 fur tiles was getting annoying. With the original's stark visuals and washed color tone, I figured the scenery would translate well to a gameboy color scheme, so I just tried to focus on the bright bloom-type sky, a detailed horizon, and simple, dark ground. For Wander, I kept him very simple, keeping all of the detail in the cloak so that it would be the focal point of the sprite.

The animation's really jerky and simple, but I really only animated it as an example.

My basic idea was that it would play a bit like Zelda II: The Adventure of Link, using a mixture of top-down gameplay and platforming. You'd start in the temple, head out to the overhead world map with your horse, and track down the Colossi. They'd be larger, but perhaps not to scale, and you'd have to figure out how to "get on". It would then switch to a sidescrolling platformer style "level", where you would climb and defeat it. The thrashing and stomping of the Colossus would be simulated by a the moving/panning/animated background, with Wander being tossed about. The Colossus itself wouldn't really move, except for possibly the feet and arms (as seperate sprites), and would act more like the real background for the stage.

Offline PypeBros

• Pixel Padawan
    • PypeBros
    • View Profile
    • Bilou Homebrew's Blog.

Re: Shadow of the Colossus GB De-make

Reply #1 on: August 29, 2008, 12:32:03 pm
graphically nice, but programmatically speaking, you're doing stuff the GB could never handle.

Much like the NES, the GB has only *one* background layer, so scrolling the far-away scene while the colossus moves is just impossible unless you reprogram all the characters to mimick an animation (which the hardware couldn't do fast enough for a smooth animation).

Offline Elrinth

• Hello peeps
    • View Profile
    • Elrinth's personal webpage

Reply #2 on: August 29, 2008, 05:58:33 pm
what if the collosi is of sprites then?
"Truly, if there's evil out there, it lies within the heart of mankind!" - Edward D. Morrison
Mai fav games: Seiken Densetsu, Rockman, Doom, Final Fantasy, Zelda no Densetsu, Metroid, Kid Icarus
Fav consoles: Sharp Twin Fami, Super Nintendo Jr., Wintendo Gamecube

Offline ptoing

• variegated quadrangle arranger
    • the_ptoing
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/2191.htm
    • View Profile
    • Perpetually inactive website

Reply #3 on: August 29, 2008, 06:59:27 pm
Sprites can be 8x8 or 8x16 on the Gameboy, and only 8 sprites in on one line I think. And even then there is also a total amount of sprites you can have.
So no, sprites would not work.
There are no ugly colours, only ugly combinations of colours.

Offline Dusty

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: August 29, 2008, 07:06:44 pm
Regardless, good work there. The clouds don't look finished, but I still like the background.
Perhaps you should try finding another hardware with similar restrictions but with more than one background.