AuthorTopic: READ FIRST! - Introduction to the new section  (Read 60234 times)

Offline ter-o

• Elitist scum
    • View Profile

Re: READ FIRST! - Introduction to the new section

Reply #10 on: August 28, 2008, 04:09:45 pm
The biggest problem with doing this is that others can and might take parts of it and call it their own. While no self respecting artist ever would, that doesn't mean others won't. It's a risk, especially if your work is quality. And since the ripper has the model and skin, it can look more legitimate to the people they are trying to fool.

But it's worth the "risk" for the good of the community. I wouldn't be too worried about ripping, coz in the end it will always backfire at the ripper itself. I still haven't seen a ripper who've gained anything in a long run. If they use it for applying a job, the ripper's lack of skill will be apparent in no time etc.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2008, 04:11:19 pm by ter-o »
I don't know everything, I just know everything else.
Try not. Do, or do not. There is no try. -Master Yoda

Offline Conzeit

• Camus
    • conzeit
    • View Profile
    • CONZEIT

Reply #11 on: August 28, 2008, 09:50:22 pm
maybe we should declare anything posted here is in a creative commons innitiative for the sake of education?

think about it, the risk here would be the same thing as with the sprites, people HAVE taken a bunch of pixelation sprites and put them up in their page as if they were their own before

Offline ptoing

• variegated quadrangle arranger
    • the_ptoing
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/2191.htm
    • View Profile
    • Perpetually inactive website

Reply #12 on: August 28, 2008, 11:13:58 pm
I am not for that tho, everyone should decide under what kinda copyright they want their stuff.
There are no ugly colours, only ugly combinations of colours.

Offline Squiggly_P

• View Profile

Reply #13 on: August 29, 2008, 01:48:52 am
I don't know if there are that many services out there for realtime 3D on the web, but one way to get a more in-depth level of scrutiny for critiques would be to use a service that would allow people to see your model / animation loop in realtime in the browser.  Since this is geared towards a low-spec sort of hardware, I don't think performance of a 3D java or flash applet would be impacted that greatly by the detail in the models.

This way people could see the model, rotate it around, maybe see a looping animation if there's one available, and even check out the wires and shaded and unshaded versions.  I know there are some sites that are trying to be "like youtube, but for 3D objects" type of sites.  perhapse embedding one of those (if that's possible) might be a servicable alternative to distributing the actual files.  it would probably aid in file-format issues.  You'd probably end up with people asking constantly how to open 3ds files in whatever app all the time if youu started distributing the files.  I think it would be best to avoid as much as possible the software-specific issues that tend to pop up on a lot of 3D sites.

Anyway, I'll do some googling and see if I can suggest a service as well.  I've always been more deeply involved in 3D modeling and animation than pixel art, and I'll probably make more use of this section than any other section in here, now, as far as posting goes.  This could destroy my lurker status.

Offline ptoing

• variegated quadrangle arranger
    • the_ptoing
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/2191.htm
    • View Profile
    • Perpetually inactive website

Reply #14 on: August 29, 2008, 02:03:24 am
I know a guy who coded a java or flash or something .obj viewer. I think you just had to throw stuff into a folder where the applet was and it would work. I will ask him if he has it available for download somewhere, so people who have an own webspace will be able to use it. I am sure he will give it out.
There are no ugly colours, only ugly combinations of colours.

Offline GMRK

• View Profile

Reply #15 on: October 26, 2008, 10:26:04 am
is there any program to make easy low poly human-shape models?
i use sketchup from google for buildings (i can't unenable the AA) but its really hard to is it for human models.

thankss :]

Hello all.

I've lurked here for while, this is my first post.

For human figures a good place to start for source meshes is Make Human:

http://www.makehuman.org/blog/index.php?post=s1210243808
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MakeHuman

I think there is a degree of control over polycounts but it's at least a good starting point to create a mesh which can be used as a template or reduced and optimised itself.

There are also many good threads on CGTalk, esp. Steven Hägg-Ståhlberg's body topolgy discussion, again not necessarily for low poly modelling itself but a good starting point for producing human forms in 3D:

http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?t=108412

Hope this provides some help.

« Last Edit: November 04, 2008, 09:25:47 am by GMRK »

Offline Conzeit

• Camus
    • conzeit
    • View Profile
    • CONZEIT

Reply #16 on: November 05, 2008, 03:40:11 am
I found something interesting on that issue of creative commons, it's a license that I think pretty much fits one on one with art-forum netiquette...something to think about.

http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-sa/3.0/

it allows to remix (I am thinking of edits for crits here), You must credit however the artist wants you to, you CANNOT make money off of it, and if you share it you must use a compatible license.

I want to clarify that if you want to share it in a different way, the artist can give you the consent to do it however you want...

I couldnt see the harm in doing that in a webforum, since that is pretty much what goes on and what people automatically expect.

Offline Jakten

• The Bionic Vapor Boy
    • View Profile
    • Levitating Rocksquatch

Reply #17 on: June 09, 2009, 04:42:03 pm
I was looking for some reference for mega man legends characters, I wanted to see how they went about making them. Then I got to wondering if anyone knew of a resource page similar to the game sprite archives only for 3D models. I've seen lots of people rip models from games so i wouldn't be surprised to see one.

Also ptoing, did you ever manage to find out if that guy had an .obj viewer we could use? I think that would be really neat.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2009, 04:46:06 pm by Jakten »

Offline .TakaM

• View Profile
    • Fetch Quest

Reply #18 on: December 23, 2009, 10:51:58 am
Anyone else thinking this section should maybe be renamed to "Non Pixel Art"? We're getting a lot of amazing stuff in this section that isn't exactly low spec.
Life without knowledge is death in disguise

Offline Elk

• Choice Architect & Nudger
    • elkdarkshire
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/4683.htm
    • darkshire
    • darkshire.elk
    • View Profile

Reply #19 on: December 23, 2009, 11:25:47 am
Should rename it to "No Pixelnazi's Welcomed" :O
Open for business