AuthorTopic: First sprite  (Read 17243 times)

Offline sfried

• View Profile

First sprite

on: August 25, 2008, 03:08:23 am
I started using GraphicGale lately and I was wondering if I could get help about how to best approach animated sprites: Should I start them all in the computer and just proceed from there, or should I draw each frame and scan them? Right now, I'm using a Tablet PC, but even then, it took me awhile to edit this first frame. And even then I still think it's crude and rudamentary by my standards:

I will admitt I got some help from a certain "Blank Blood" game (for certain color schemes and approximate head sizes), but I just used it as a basis and starting point while the rest I made from a preconcieved idea. I'm also not to sure about the ending proportions since even though they may look right (image was doubled in size for clarity), they might be particularly...usable gameplay wise.

Offline Jasch

• View Profile

Re: First sprite

Reply #1 on: August 25, 2008, 05:54:17 am
I like the 3/4 stance -- reminds me of sprites in LucasArts' SCUMM engine games, circa Day of the Tentacle.

Personally, I think that the medium of the keyframes should depend on the medium of origin.  Put another way: if it originated on paper, do the keyframes on paper and scan them in; if the sprite originated on the tablet or with a mouse, then stick with that.

My rationale:  Personally, my drawing style changes when using different tools; to keep the frames' style consistent, I'd use consistent tools. :)
« Last Edit: August 25, 2008, 06:07:09 am by Jasch »

Offline sfried

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: August 25, 2008, 06:34:12 am
I like the 3/4 stance -- reminds me of sprites in LucasArts' SCUMM engine games, circa Day of the Tentacle.

Personally, I think that the medium of the keyframes should depend on the medium of origin.  Put another way: if it originated on paper, do the keyframes on paper and scan them in; if the sprite originated on the tablet or with a mouse, then stick with that.

My rationale:  Personally, my drawing style changes when using different tools; to keep the frames' style consistent, I'd use consistent tools. :)
Well, I attempted to animate it straight out of GraphicsGale, and here's the result. I know it's missing certain keyframes from when she lifts her hand to when she puts it back on her waist. I definately cheated on alot of areas for something so minimalistic. In the end, it's still looks kinda funny.

Offline TomF

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: August 25, 2008, 11:21:32 am
Is her hand supposed to be in her pocket? If so then the bulge should change when she takes it out.

Offline Shrike

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: August 25, 2008, 03:21:32 pm
seconded. also, i think there should be some thinking time between the glasses lowering and the hand going to fix them. and maybe run the animation a little slower?

Offline sfried

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: August 25, 2008, 09:02:29 pm
Here's a small update for now. It has the minor corrections, but I have a class to catch, so I'll do the major revisions later (like adding more keyframes).

and maybe run the animation a little slower?
What browser are you using?

Offline Shrike

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: August 26, 2008, 12:13:42 am
Umm... Firefox. Looking better now, maybe add a few subtle highlights or shadows to the hair in the back? try to add some more form to it.
like this:

i didn't really mess with the brightest highlight on the top at all, just the lower half. hope it helps!

edit
i just realized that i fudged up the face shading, sorry. fixed
~Shrike
« Last Edit: August 26, 2008, 01:31:50 am by Shrike »

Offline sfried

• View Profile

Reply #7 on: August 26, 2008, 02:01:12 am
Umm... Firefox. Looking better now, maybe add a few subtle highlights or shadows to the hair in the back? try to add some more form to it.
like this:
edit
i just realized that i fudged up the face shading, sorry. fixed
~Shrike
What is the trick to creating the patterns for shading? I've been trying to figure that one out...
« Last Edit: August 26, 2008, 04:45:01 am by sfried »

Offline sfried

• View Profile

Reply #8 on: August 26, 2008, 07:10:43 am
Latest update, now with newer and improved keyframes and better timing. I also added shadows to the back of her hair as suggested, abeit I applied it in a different manner to maintain consistency with the style.

I think I've flogged this sprite long enough. Any tips on how I should approach more drastic movements? Should I draft my animation on paper and them recreate it pixel-per-pixel, or should I just draw in the program as I go along?

Offline AdamAtomic

• natural born medic
    • View Profile
    • Adam Atomic

Reply #9 on: August 26, 2008, 07:24:10 pm
You've got a pretty large character, so its hard to say what would be best.  I (and many others) have found that using a tablet to block out color blobs in an animation program works really well.  You can mess with the timing and basic motion a lot that way, without wasting too much time trying to get the linework just right.