AuthorTopic: [WIP] [NO PD WORK HERE] ZOMBIE'S SPRITE SHEET  (Read 6043 times)

Offline Zombiechao

• View Profile

[WIP] [NO PD WORK HERE] ZOMBIE'S SPRITE SHEET

on: August 21, 2008, 08:39:56 pm
Hello! I am having a bit of trouble getting critique for my work on other sites such as Sprites-inc Bob and george and Spriters Block (If you see my works stolen and put on another site please contact me) and would like to get some good critique. I am making a sprite sheet in the style of megaman ZX advent and would like some critique and some advice on how to develop my own style. This work is scratch and as stated above not PD. This means I did not use any other persons work to make this except for references. For references I used many of the characters from ZX advent. Here is my current version of my sprite sheet that I am working on. Please critique each individual article of clothing seperately because the guy is going to mix and match. I still need some help with giving his jeans the correct texture and with his kick attack. His battle armor (visible in the bottom) is incomplete because I don't know what to do for his pants. Can any suggest a better pallete for any articles of clothing? I don't know what else to do with his steel sword (lazer swords suck).
Edit: Please CC

Offline AdamAtomic

• natural born medic
    • View Profile
    • Adam Atomic

Re: [WIP] [NO PD WORK HERE] ZOMBIE'S SPRITE SHEET

Reply #1 on: August 21, 2008, 10:28:50 pm
If you see my works stolen and put on another site please contact me

I really wouldn't lose sleep over that, or whether you have your own "style."  Just focus on creating good art!

I think your shading and colors in general are a great start.  The forms are a bit blobby/pillowy, and the dithering just makes things more indistinct.  Especially if you are inspired by megaman ZX sprites, you want first and foremost to have good clean forms that read right away, even at this small size.  His face looks a little funny to me, like he has a pinocchio nose that is too far down.  The kick animation is very hard to crit since he has no upper body and there is no actual animation to view.  The handle of the sword looks nice but the blade looks very erratic/nonsensical, almost like a very, very exaggerated katana edge.  Think about how light might actually strike a flat sword blade; probably you will not see a black and white sine wave!  There are loads of games with pixelated swords out there, all the recent Castlevanias come to mind as a place where you could look for inspiration.

Good luck, and welcome to pixelation!

Offline Zombiechao

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: August 22, 2008, 06:16:17 pm
I don't understand. You typed that I dithered. Where did I use dithering? This is Dithering.

Offline sharprm

• INTP/INTJ
    • View Profile

Reply #3 on: August 23, 2008, 05:41:06 am
Its a bit noisey so thats why Adam said it looked dithered. You may have intended to convey detail rather than dithering. However, still consider cleaning it up.

I'm not comfortable with outlines yet so I did an edit for my own learning, take what you want from it. 

When I was doing it used one of Helm's post as reference:

http://www.wayofthepixel.net/pixelation/index.php?topic=6286.msg73507#msg73507

Goodluck. I like the pinochio nose though, reminds me of Astroboy.
Modern artists are told that they must create something totally original-or risk being called "derivative".They've been indoctrinated with the concept that bad=good.The effect is always the same: Meaningless primitivism
http://www.artrenewal.org/articles/Philosophy/phi

Offline Zombiechao

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: November 15, 2008, 03:52:04 am
THREADREVIVALCANNON ACTIVATE! PHEWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW!
I don't like the edit. I think it makes the chest look bad and ugly. I made a few edits of my own hoever. PLEASE CC

Also what color should the guys armor be?
« Last Edit: November 15, 2008, 04:53:01 am by Zombiechao »

Offline EvilEye

• Game Developer Extroaordinaire
    • View Profile

Reply #5 on: November 17, 2008, 07:34:53 am
The pose and character design are very good, but the colors are way too contrasted. And some parts look flat because of overshading.

I did an edit myself here below, yours is on the left mine is on the right.

Offline Jad

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: November 17, 2008, 11:34:22 am
I really like the blobiness of the original pants though.

The brighter arms and shoes work very well, though.

(critting edits, fun)
' _ '