AuthorTopic: Spaceship-general practice  (Read 3613 times)

Offline Shrike

• View Profile

Spaceship-general practice

on: September 11, 2008, 03:11:52 pm
I made this to try out some Hue shifting, AAing and dithering. i may make a little minigame out of this.  ;D

well, here goes nothing:

i consider it done, but i really want some critique. It would be against a black background, like a space shooter. I LUV GRAPHICS GALE!

-[edit]-
Just realized it could benifit from some more contrast.  :'( well, ill fix that later. New:

Changes-
1. Added much more contrast
2. changed greebles on back top
3. color re-vamp
« Last Edit: September 12, 2008, 12:13:47 am by Shrike »

Offline Oltar

• View Profile
    • Akira V.3.0

Re: Spaceship-general practice

Reply #1 on: September 12, 2008, 09:56:58 am
Very cool spaceship, but maybe you need more contrast ¿and more extended pallete?
My english sucks.

Offline EyeCraft

• What are you scared of?
    • View Profile
    • Death By Dev

Reply #2 on: September 12, 2008, 10:25:14 am
It's a nice start, but there's more you could be doing with the palette, which would give you more ammo for your AA. The forth purple from the right in your ramp is strangely desaturated, since the shadow purple and the pink midtone on each side of it are much more vibrant. As that purple is now, you could pretty much merge it with one of the greys to give you room for another colour. So you could add another tone between the second and third purples. Or whatever, point is you could have another colour, possibly. Also, the pinks largely are a waste, you could probably get another colour from one of those and diverge the remaining pinks to give more contrast and get more use out of them. Overall there's very little contrast to the palette in some places and large jumps in brightness in others. I find colours are most useful when they're friendly with their neighbours in a diverse neighbourhood. That terrible analogy is meant to mean: the ramp as a whole covers a wide range of tones, but its a smooth progression from dark to light.

So, it doesn't seem to me like this piece is really shaded? It just seems to be coloured. If you're just out to practice AA/dithering/hue shifting, well okay, but I feel you best gain an understanding of those things by integrating them into existing art practice. It just doesn't feel like there's any form, and AA/dithering/hue shifting to me are techniques for communicating form better. But whatever, I'm basically ranting...

Offline _MoRLOK_

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: September 13, 2008, 07:23:25 am
« Last Edit: September 13, 2008, 07:25:06 am by _MoRLOK_ »

Offline Shrike

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: September 13, 2008, 08:07:26 pm
Thanks for comments everyone!
@EyeCraft:
i think i sort of understand what your saying, but it seems hidden in a mass of mumbles. My weekend brain cant process it, can you be more clear?
Okay, i get it. work on my palette and stuff. Cool, working on it now.
@_MoRLOK_:
Those are neat, but what are you getting at? I-
OH.

okayyy.... i get what your all saying now. uninteresting lightsource, boring design? Change of palette? if so, I'm making a new one now. I'll get a more plainular look going.
Expect updates! Fanx!

Offline Shrike

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: September 13, 2008, 09:39:10 pm
Update:

Complete re-vamp. Improvement? Step backward? Maybe i should stop finishing things before i post them.  :-[ next time ill post a WIP, sorry. I think its better, but i just realized its still really softened. What do you guys think? keep or harden it?
« Last Edit: September 13, 2008, 09:42:12 pm by Shrike »