AuthorTopic: Mockup Frenzy #8: Megaman!  (Read 296103 times)

Offline Luzeke

• I draw, therefore I ink.
    • View Profile
    • inkBot

Re: Mockup Frenzy #8: Megaman!

Reply #30 on: August 20, 2008, 01:32:28 pm
Here's what I currently have on my guy: Brute Man!

I think I overshot color restrictions with 2 colors with the axe. The level theme is going to be a medieval battlefield with wooden siege machines and stuff  ;D

Edit// May change the axe, it looks a bit off...

Offline floatvoid

• View Profile

Reply #31 on: August 20, 2008, 02:31:54 pm
Aaah badass start, floatvoid, looking forward to seeing where this is going :D  At least on my screen your cowboy looks a little bit like a terrifying owl right now, maybe better delineation between the 'stache and the...cool clint eastwood mexican shawl thingy?

Thanks :). I see part of the problem here, as that's supposed to be a giant beard, not a 'mexican shawl thingy'. Although, that's not a bad idea.

Offline huZba

• MekaSkull
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/19396.htm
    • huzba
    • View Profile

Reply #32 on: August 20, 2008, 02:43:36 pm
Only Pietepiet's character is within limits so far i think?

Bruteman would flicker even if he was alone on the screen. Also it's using all the allowed 4 different sprite palettes by himself.
Check out the cinematendo thread for restrictions.

Offline Luzeke

• View Profile
    • inkBot

Reply #33 on: August 20, 2008, 03:24:45 pm
I used Stone man for size reference, but maybe he got just a little too big :P. Anyway, hacked away at the colors and scaled him down to using 2 palettes max.  :)
Also fixed the axe. Does it look better?

I'll see what I can do to scale him down, without loosing the effect I wanted.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2008, 03:26:18 pm by Luzeke »

Offline huZba

• MekaSkull
    • huzba
    • View Profile

Reply #34 on: August 20, 2008, 03:58:15 pm
Still no go. One sprite is 8x8, 3 colors + alpha (one color is always alpha? Can't have a tile with 4 colors without alpha? have to check on that)
I can't slice bruteman to 8x8 pieces without some pieces having too many colors.
8 sprites per scanline and at the tip of the axe there's a part that needs at least 7 sprites. So width is the issue here.
Notice how stone man is exactly 4 tiles wide and 5 tiles high. The face has two sprites on top of each other. Same with the red sphere.
So at maximum stoneman has 5 sprites on one scanline. Megaman has 3, so that's a total of 8, so stoneman probably flickers when you shoot at him.

I'll check around for NES sprite editors to see how the enemies are built.

-Edit-
Here's how stoneman is divided. His legs are mirrored and use the same tile.
also portrait   16 tiles + 3 sprites make the final image.
(NOTE that the black is actually transparent in the portrait and shows the BG fill color, so there's no black in the tiles or sprites.)

Technical things aside, i really like bruteman. He fits megaman and has character. With a bit of headscratching it should be possible to get a result very similar to what he looks like now AND meet the restraints too.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2008, 05:19:08 pm by huZba »

Offline mice

• View Profile

Reply #35 on: August 20, 2008, 05:07:38 pm
Sprites can be 8x16 as well.

Still don't get this, we're supposed to do a mockup, right?

Offline Luzeke

• View Profile
    • inkBot

Reply #36 on: August 20, 2008, 05:50:11 pm
Tried to make him smaller without sacrificing too much. I guess he's still too big :durr:. Made so that the feet uses the same sprite.
Then I tried to further make him less wide.

De-widening > Further De-widening > 8x8 breakup of the leftmost sprite.

Technical things aside, i really like bruteman. He fits megaman and has character. With a bit of headscratching it should be possible to get a result very similar to what he looks like now AND meet the restraints too.

Thanks  :)

Offline Krut

• View Profile

Reply #37 on: August 20, 2008, 06:14:12 pm
You could prolly´ save up a tile by mirroring the top of the head (and retouching the shading on that part), one tile on the shoulder pad could get the same treatment also.

Offline huZba

• MekaSkull
    • huzba
    • View Profile

Reply #38 on: August 20, 2008, 06:29:55 pm
Start counting the colors in the tiles  :) In the middle there's plenty with 4 colors, which is 1 too many. Use one palette with black, white and orange. And other one with black, orange(could try something else?) and red. I guess 2 unique palettes for the enemies is the maximum, cause megaman always hogs 2 for himself, of which the other one is rotating when you charge and the other one is white, black and face color. I guess the face colors can be used on the enemy palettes too.

It's getting there, just a bit more sprinting and we have a nes-able boss.
I find this NES stuff, pondering the same things as the developers of ancient times, extremely fascinating.

Offline Pietepiet

• View Profile
    • Pietepiet

Reply #39 on: August 20, 2008, 06:42:56 pm
I find this NES stuff, pondering the same things as the developers of ancient times, extremely fascinating.

I fully agree. I'm still a bit confused, though. I divided MegaMan's original sprite into 8x8 tiles, and he also has a few tiles which have four colours, mainly around the face area. How does that work exactly? I see StoneMan has a seperate tile for the eyes/mouth. Does that one get pasted on with code, or something like that? And does that apply to MegaMan as well, then?