AuthorTopic: Mockup Frenzy #8: Megaman!  (Read 296081 times)

Offline MtŪ

• View Profile

Re: Mockup Frenzy #8: Megaman!

Reply #180 on: September 02, 2008, 07:50:37 pm
Very nice stuff thats been posted so far!
Here's my last update.
I tried to adress the crits I got and changed some of the stuff that wasn't originaly mine, like the E-tank and HPbar.

Offline Dusty

• View Profile

Reply #181 on: September 02, 2008, 08:09:55 pm
That really screams Megaman... love it.

Offline xenobond

• View Profile
    • Portfolio

Reply #182 on: September 02, 2008, 10:03:30 pm
Really cool, MtŪ.
Choice of colors look great and really sell that Mega Man look.

Offline QuickSilva

• View Profile

Reply #183 on: September 03, 2008, 07:25:26 am
Hopefully Adam will put all of the mockups together into the first post at some point so that we can look at them all in one place.

Jason.

Offline Delkaes

• View Profile
    • Zombie Holocaust

Reply #184 on: September 03, 2008, 08:45:56 am
yop, redoing my mockup, changed the grey stone to some aztec chimp rock. redo the rock floor, but i don't know if i must keep the flashy floor (at left) or the new chocolate floor at right.

edit :

update 2 colors, i can't decide  ??? maybe purple looks better  and so the rocks need to be flashy since the back ground is totally black. comments on ?

« Last Edit: September 03, 2008, 12:51:07 pm by Delkaes »

Offline Ben2theEdge

• I'ma drink mah coffee!
    • View Profile
    • My Deviantart Gallery

Reply #185 on: September 03, 2008, 01:26:29 pm
Delkaes, I think your second one works a little better; purple and yellow are opposites on the color wheel so if you put them together they look great but they will also steal attention from everything else in the image. Sometimes this is useful but I think for this instance it's much better to go subtle. Having said that, if I were you, I would either work purple into some of the other tiles or find a hue that matches the existing tiles a little better. I personally like the purple since it adds a nice creepy vibe, but you can take it further by giving the foreground a similar dark moody feel.
I mild from suffer dislexia.

Offline Waltuo

• View Profile

Reply #186 on: September 03, 2008, 01:57:50 pm
Wow, nice work everyone!:) I'm new here (initially found this place through a GoNintendo link, I believe) and now that I've been lurking here for a couple of days, I'm really digging many of the entries I'm seeing. It's a shame I found about this Mockup challenge quite late, as I would've definitely liked to participate (and probably will if the time is extended:)

Anyway, I got inspired by all of this and just wanted to pixel something, since it's been a long time since I made anything game pixel art related (used to love it back in the days!). I decided to try if it's possible to achieve something close to the SNES MegaMan X style within the NES limitations, because, well, I enjoy the challenge of trying to downgrade something and secondly, because there were already so many awesome original entries I thought I'd take a different approach:)

Sadly, as I just found this place all I really have ready for now is the character sprite (and a few random tiles), but I decided to post this anyway. Hopefully I have time to continue on this and see where it goes. The character currently uses three different palettes (one for the legs and helmet, another one for the hands and torso, and one overlapped sprite for the face like on the NES originals, totalling 8 different colors). It may be a bit much in the long run, and I probably have to go with the same palette for the whole body (except face, of course) in the end..

EDIT: D'oh! I thought it was 8 sprite palettes and 8 background palettes for NES, but now on closer inspection, it seems it's only 4 of each :'( So I very likely have to cut that middle body palette and I guess I can say goodbye to getting to even distantly similar results than the SNES... you can still at least switch palettes between levels, right??

« Last Edit: September 03, 2008, 02:00:36 pm by Waltuo »

Offline Delkaes

• View Profile
    • Zombie Holocaust

Reply #187 on: September 03, 2008, 02:05:03 pm
thx for the comment, i'll try some color change to fit the background.

quick edit, don't know if its th egood way, now its feels a level at night.

making a pause now, 5hours on my eyes are bleeding. coming later  :blind:

Offline xenobond

• View Profile
    • Portfolio

Reply #188 on: September 03, 2008, 03:11:42 pm
@Delkaes- I say that's a definite improvement, as now that it's a lot more cool, the eyes in the background really show up. Spooky!

@Waltuo- pretty interesting but without the black outline he can easily get lost in a number of level backgrounds. Oh, and welcome.

Offline rdcarvallo

• View Profile

Reply #189 on: September 03, 2008, 04:17:03 pm
Playing the games in the Megaman Collection (PS2) loking for inspiration and reference, I found many tricks used in GeminiMan Stage from MM3, They have a scrolling star field, made with sprites, and then they use color cicling in the palete for the background.

Didn't play MM6 to see the Sunset scene in Tomahawk stage, maybe it's not split screen, but sprites well done.

In the Star Ocean videos, there is a wave/ripple effect in all the screen, some ideas in how they achieved it.