AuthorTopic: I am still working on te Wings Shmup  (Read 5054 times)

Offline soldat

• View Profile
    • My Game-Dev-Blog

I am still working on te Wings Shmup

on: June 28, 2008, 07:54:24 am
There is a lot NPA but also Pixelart so sorry i hope this is OK

Hello thar!
I am still working on my wings project but much slower then before due to job interviews school and girlfriend issues-.-  .
I was continually working mostly on bullet patterns and plotting/planning and also getting inspiration. over all that time i was still sketching but not pixelling much. i did not have the concentration for pixelling the last few month.
So here is what is still very hard in Progress mostly sketches but also some advanced WIPs.
I hope someone can see some effort in completing Wings, THIS game will be finished at all cost and with muc heffort and love to the project and idea.
---------------------------------------------------------
">[/url]
This are some firetypes.
">[/url]
This aresome sketches of which i am not sure what EXACTLY to do with them.
">[/url]
This are watertypes. the first a normal but bigger fighterclass. the gray a podracer inspired craft.Some hunter in the middle above. some warship with heavy armor and guns in the loewr middle.
">[/url]
A WIP abstaract background drawing as they all will look like( ya know totally abstract shooter. the crafts arent really crafts as well. it is all some abstract thingy moving and changing.
">[/url]
Those are airtypes. the fist a middlesized craft. the STURMKAIZER on the right, it is the final boss of the skylevel. kinda mecha but very abstract and hyper far from finished.in the middle the airhydra whic hi had changed a lot while i was constructing even the raw idea of this "craft".the skull above will later be the airhydras ONE head instead of many.... ya`ll see :)
">[/url]
All earth enemies. the enemies in this leve lare all kinda boss with TERRA the white one on the right as their leader. this ships will take a while due to their enormous size.
">[/url]
WIP of an abstract BG called "Depression".
">[/url]
BG for the waterlevel called "the cold void" also abstract !!!BUT FINISHED!!!
">[/url]
Angel WIPS for the "light" level.
">[/url]
Space enemies with the boss "darkside" on the left and on the right some undefined warrior riding a.... thingy.

Some opinions are  very welcome write everything you think if you want to :)

Thanks!
Everything is art really, it is just a matter of looking at it that way.

http://chess-game-dev.blogspot.com/
My Site

Offline AlexHW

• View Profile
    • AlexHW

Re: I am still working on te Wings Shmup

Reply #1 on: June 30, 2008, 02:24:32 pm
looks kinda interesting
id like to see something more fleshed out and polished so that we have a sense of the goal you have for these ships.

Offline vierbit

• 0.09 posts per day
    • View Profile

Reply #2 on: June 30, 2008, 02:55:25 pm
I looked at this topic two days ago and was thinking "hm..."
Now i think the whole concept could work, i esp. like the bg for the waterlevel, even iam not much into abstract stuff.
Im not really sure if the pixelart mix well with the handrawn(?) backgrounds though.
Also the sprites could be drawn with a little more concept. I mean the randomly style work for the backgrounds quit good
but the sprites need more work in there forms.

Offline soldat

• View Profile
    • My Game-Dev-Blog

Re: I am still working on the Wings Shmup

Reply #3 on: June 30, 2008, 05:22:29 pm
looks kinda interesting
id like to see something more fleshed out and polished so that we have a sense of the goal you have for these ships.

If you want to see some other works which are polished out i would suggest you watch my gallery at pixeljoint:
->     http://www.pixeljoint.com/p/7611.htm?pg=1&sec=icons

So this would be similar goals for those kind of ships.
thanks for your comment/support and for having interest in this project !

I looked at this topic two days ago and was thinking "hm..."
Now i think the whole concept could work, i esp. like the bg for the waterlevel, even iam not much into abstract stuff.
Im not really sure if the pixelart mix well with the handrawn(?) backgrounds though.
Also the sprites could be drawn with a little more concept. I mean the randomly style work for the backgrounds quit good
but the sprites need more work in there forms.

Samples of finished ships as mentioned above:
->     http://www.pixeljoint.com/p/7611.htm?pg=1&sec=icons

You are right that the sprites need A LOT more work in my opinion too !
As we can see through this samples the BG`s are, as you said above, randomly styled and the ships are more symmetric.
I am glad you liked the background for the water level !  :-[

The backgrounds are NPA but i think that they will work with the sprites later. If not i am thinking of changging the BG`s to pixelart.
I agree that you can see not much concept in tis sprites i will update this works later, hoping one can figure out much more of the forms and sense the added concept soon.

Thanks for the response and support !

§

My Site

Offline soldat

• View Profile
    • My Game-Dev-Blog

Reply #4 on: August 17, 2008, 03:52:45 pm
Did the same reply on pixeljoint before but i know here are people too who would like to read this even if those are not many.
Sorry for posting in this old thread but i don`twanted to start a new topic AGAIN

So i have a new and some what FINAL wave of creations for my shmup (which is now called Vynks which  you can spell like wings).

again a lot of NPA and sketches of sketches.. but.. i wanted to give some footage to those who are still faitful to my project and want to see it finished...

so.. of course this will be finished but it will take time...

So i at least can give you those:

form, size and such stuff may vary and it is not said that all of the shown creations from this or older posts will be used in the final version. also i reworked and/or deleted some old and replaced them with new ones.

thanks in advance for watching and/or adding comments

cheers

My Site

Offline Turbo

• less than meets the eye
    • View Profile
    • Pixeljoint TurboAccount

Reply #5 on: August 18, 2008, 12:13:07 pm
Would be interesting if you posted a mockup/prototype of a completed thing (ship). Right now, these are vague, confusing geometric shapes with random lightsources and palettes, it's impossible to comment or make sense.

Offline soldat

• View Profile
    • My Game-Dev-Blog

Reply #6 on: August 18, 2008, 12:21:43 pm
you are right sorry that. Here they are:

<-playership(with small hitzone....)
« Last Edit: August 18, 2008, 12:24:11 pm by soldat »

My Site

Offline Turbo

• less than meets the eye
    • View Profile
    • Pixeljoint TurboAccount

Reply #7 on: August 18, 2008, 02:02:33 pm
It's still not clear how these would work in a game, but here's some thoughts.

The best ones i see, from a perspective of a good palette, are:
and
Other's need better definition of simples volumes, and more contrasting and less monotone (search for "straight ramps") colors.

The biggest concern is that it's hard to know what their function is, they look like random shapes joined together, it's not clear what the global intent of the object is. From a game art perspective, it would be very hard for the player to know what each object is, how it works, etc..

My sugestion for all of them is: keep the lightsource consistent, and design them with a logic and purpose. Think the backstory to their design. Show how these pieces interlock, study real world aircraft.