AuthorTopic: [WIP] Trioculi  (Read 24841 times)

Offline Ben2theEdge

• I'ma drink mah coffee!
    • View Profile
    • My Deviantart Gallery

Re: [WIP] Trioculi

Reply #40 on: September 12, 2008, 09:12:58 pm
*EDIT: Nevermind, I misread the question*
« Last Edit: September 12, 2008, 09:14:50 pm by Ben2theEdge »
I mild from suffer dislexia.

Offline Indigo

• Administrator
  • Artist, Indie Game Dev
    • DanFessler
    • DanFessler
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/849.htm
    • DanFessler
    • DanFessler
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio

Reply #41 on: September 12, 2008, 10:17:39 pm
my personal impression is to say 'screw it' about the water-reflection critique... not because it's not valid (and I'm loving the awesome critique and discussion about it), but because the end result you have now is very visually appealing regardless.  removing the reflections from under the front-most monster breaks the water-effect you have going on.  In this particular case I'd say art before science

Offline Arachne

• View Profile
    • Retinal Eclipse

Reply #42 on: September 12, 2008, 10:57:29 pm
Thanks a lot! Glad you guys liked it! ;D And you've brought up some interesting questions.

my personal impression is to say 'screw it' about the water-reflection critique... not because it's not valid (and I'm loving the awesome critique and discussion about it), but because the end result you have now is very visually appealing regardless.  removing the reflections from under the front-most monster breaks the water-effect you have going on.  In this particular case I'd say art before science
Well, it doesn't look as if I'll be making any radical changes. It's the first time I've drawn something like this, though, so I'm just happy to look into it. I've been feeling that I didn't quite know what I was doing, so I think it's needed. ;D

shouldn't those reflections from second monster's eyes' be little higher?
I thought that the fog would block the light in that part, but I don't know if it actually would. I've been trying to find some photos of reflections with mist on top, but I haven't had much luck. Would it be the same as if the eyes themselves were there, or would the light be too dispersed? Edit: I don't think looking at the reflection of the sun in the water is as bad as looking at the sun itself, so I think that answers it.

For the monster on the right i think the eyes should only be reflected close to the beach because thats what i saw one night with the moon's reflection.

I think the water would have to be more still for the reflection to taper that much away from the center.

But this also depends on how sunken in the thing's eyes are. It looks to me like the light wouldn't reach the water because it's hitting the... strands, or whatever, surrounding the eyes. So, I don't think there should be a reflection, but not for the reason Dusty stated.
Good point, but I didn't imagine the eyes to be that sunken in. The idea is that you'd see some of the light reflected in the surrounding tissue.

I wonder changing one of the light hole's angle downwards, towards their prey would make more sense  :). Since the reflected light makes the picture better.
I don't imagine the creatures would see the two men as prey. More like a few ants on a path. You'll crush them without knowing they were even there. Of course, if you go too close to the ant hill, they might start bothering you, and you might even decide to have them removed if they're in the spot you've been going to for picnics or whatever. :D

Yes, it does (well, it'll refract, in this case). Which backs up ndchristie's point that the lights should light up the fog some. That much fog would result in a noticeable halo effect around point lights.
I think what you would be seeing, if the eyes were luminescent enough, would be a cone of illuminated fog/mist, which from the front would look like the halo you describe. I don't know if the fog here is thick enough for that, at least not for the closest creature. Maybe the second one, but the eyes would have to give off a lot of light for that to happen. On the other hand, if these creatures hunt in the depths of the sea, that might not be such a bad idea. However, something subtle might be tricky to pull off with the current palette.

I also tried to explain how the ripples reflect the light. Not quite precise, but you get the idea. On each of these ripple tops, there's a spot where the angle is such that the light is reflected towards you.

Hope that clears something up. :)
« Last Edit: September 13, 2008, 07:52:42 pm by Arachne »

Offline Opacus

• Entangled
    • View Profile
    • www.jimjansen.net

Reply #43 on: September 13, 2008, 08:52:55 am
I just want to pop buy so I can say: Holy fuck.

That's all I have to contribute sorry :(

Offline Arachne

• View Profile
    • Retinal Eclipse

Reply #44 on: September 13, 2008, 08:05:11 pm
I realized that having the reflection of the arms of the closest creature block out the reflection of the eyes of the second didn't really make sense since the water's not still, so I changed that. I also tried to make the wet sand reflect some of the light as well, since that's what it would do, but I couldn't make it work without drawing too much attention to it.

Offline Destiny

• View Profile

Reply #45 on: September 14, 2008, 02:53:58 am
Oh man.
Thats awesome >:
I couldnt imagine doing something so tedious (yet).
Good job.

Offline Organ_House

• View Profile

Reply #46 on: September 14, 2008, 03:36:26 am
Dang, so pretty I could cry  :'(

The only suggestion I'd add is possibly changing the bottom of the creature in the foreground so it parts the water with a half-circle shape. Right now it looks sorta flat-ish.
Please forgive my horrible ruining of yer art :P

I figure it's body would extend out from the water about at that red line.

Also the shoreline looks way too close imo.

Offline rabidbaboy

• Jesus Beam!
    • View Profile

Reply #47 on: September 15, 2008, 11:13:33 pm
Well, first off, whoa

It's safe to say I would've considered your first step my finished piece if this were my project.

So much well-done textures! The grass, water, tentacles, fog, clouds... The grass..! !yus!

One question though, are the people scared of the monsters? Are they supposed to be running, because they look as if they were taking a stroll, like the monsters were pets. That seriously detracts from the "whoa monster" feel this is trying to convey (I think that's what it's trying to convey, hehe). Maybe you can have the woman stumbling in her hurry to get away, or even a more active pose, hands groping for distance, etc...

On the discussion about the light, I think it's fair to assume that these monsters could move their eyes (aka spotlights :P), so if you wanted, you could make it point its eyes at its prey (aka the humansss), and cue uber dramatic lighting omg behind the humans. It's your call though.

Right Click>Save As
"Baboy" is Filipino for pig.