AuthorTopic: First Piece's of Pixel art.  (Read 2977 times)

Offline Taylor

• View Profile

First Piece's of Pixel art.

on: August 11, 2008, 08:47:27 am
Hey, so these are my first bits of pixel art, well i say first, one's that i actaully carried on. Please could you tell me what i need to work as i know i need a lot of practice, thank you.

Offline Batzy

• Huzzah....
    • View Profile
    • GameBros

Re: First Piece's of Pixel art.

Reply #1 on: August 11, 2008, 08:57:23 am
Cute bear but the car lines are just a piece of copy. I searched the car from google and find this:
i think you need to add  more shadows to bear and make your own car lines  ;D oh and almoast forgot to say welcome to pixelation  :)

Offline Taylor

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: August 11, 2008, 09:08:29 am
Thanks for the advice :). Yeah the car, i drew from that picture, guessing that is not allowed, but got to learn, but thank you for saying and i shall draw my own car lines :) and thanks :).

Offline Sherman Gill

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: August 11, 2008, 09:25:32 am
Arr, when it comes to references and copying:
Just eyeball and don't directly trace, and cite your references!
So pretty much, if you just link to the image your using in your first post it should be peachy keen.

Of course I might be stepping on the moderators' toes here. :ouch:
Oh yes naked women are beautiful
But I like shrimps more haha ;)

Offline AdamAtomic

• natural born medic
    • View Profile
    • Adam Atomic

Reply #4 on: August 11, 2008, 03:30:30 pm
Nope it's all good - Taylor, generally speaking working from references is a great way to learn and advance.  Tracing references...not so much.  Anytime you trace or work very very very closely off a reference you are encouraged to clearly state that and post your reference, just to keep things clean and easy.  It can also help us focus our feedback!

That said, I will go ahead and post what I have on the last 4 or 5 "this is my first pixel art" posts, which is you need to start thinking about your art as actual 3d volumes in space, rather than flat, orthographically projected coloring book lines that you fill in with the paint bucket tool.  A good way to practice this quickly and easily is to redraw an existing piece (or a new piece if you want) of art with just 3 shades of gray - no outlines, no colors.  See if you can clearly define the shape with just areas of light, mid, and shadow.  This isn't necessarily to say lineart is bad or that you should always start by painting in grayscale by any means.  But I have found that it is a useful exercise for getting your brain to switch gears and think really hard about how to define your shape using light and shadow and volume, instead of more symbolic lines.

You may also find that you will progress faster if you work at smaller sizes.  In 3 years I have never even attempted a piece of pixel art as big as that ghostbusters car!  I'd also recommend working on a more neutral-colored background, as opposed to full-bright white.  Bright white or dark black can really skew your perception of color.

Welcome to pix and good luck on your journey  :)