AuthorTopic: My First Refrence  (Read 5740 times)

Offline qunit

• View Profile

My First Refrence

on: August 09, 2008, 11:20:12 pm
as said - my first one ... its from a picture of me on my tank with a jantex ( tankers helmet ) one

its not yet done... i have some details to finish up but its ok for now
of course you can see the refrence pic :
http://photos-d.ak.facebook.com/photos-ak-sf2p/v172/83/85/693706630/n693706630_495107_1371.jpg

cnc will be very appriciated since its my first and i need it  ::)

EDIT - added more details to the face and some small changes, it looks less like me now i think ... didnt figured out why yet

EDIT - new version

« Last Edit: August 10, 2008, 03:13:48 am by qunit »
One pixel at a time

Offline Lunar

• Programmer/Spriter
    • View Profile
    • Skyfire

Re: My First Refrence

Reply #1 on: August 09, 2008, 11:46:59 pm
Sweet, almost looks just like you.

The nose needs to be a bit bigger, or there at least the sides of the nostrils need to be shaded a bit darker.  You've got it on the right side, but the left side seems to just kinda dissapear.  Also, the lightsource on top of the nose looks to much like a tear drop.

The helmet is off from the picture, since there is no camo on the top and that maroon color you have is more of a dark green in the pic.

And what is with that blue-ish logo on the back-left part of the helmet?

-Lunar

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: August 09, 2008, 11:57:32 pm
And what is with that blue-ish logo on the back-left part of the helmet?

since this is a self-portrait, i'm going to assume it's actually there, which is why it's shown :P.  In terms of composition that flare of blue pulls that edge together (it would be rather "soft" without it) but I have a feeling that wasn't the reason.

look good for a mostly-done, the only thing i wonder is what the orange is for in the face?  If there's no reason for the two shades to meet against the other two shades, i would urge you towards having them end at different verticals (stagger the edges) for more visual interest and to avoid creating a false edge
A mistake is a mistake.
The same mistake twice is a bad habit.
The same mistake three or more times is a motif.

Offline qunit

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: August 09, 2008, 11:58:54 pm
agree about the nose, aout the helmet it looks fine to me - in the picture it also sis off balance in my head.... that helmet was i big one but dont worry - i have replaced it :)

and the blue thing doest really there - its supposed to be an Israeli flag wich i DID have on the newer helmet :)

ndchristie  - hmmm... perhaps u r right about the orange colors ... i will get back to it

edit - changed the helmet and speaker colors
« Last Edit: August 10, 2008, 12:01:44 am by qunit »
One pixel at a time

Offline ptoing

• variegated quadrangle arranger
    • the_ptoing
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/2191.htm
    • View Profile
    • Perpetually inactive website

Reply #4 on: August 10, 2008, 12:01:35 am
The face looks a bit like a colourreduce, not saying that you did, just from how it looks. Kinda like cutout in PS. I think it needs some more definition.

Otherwise it's coming along quite nicely. Also, it would be good if you left the old images up and not just replace them with new ones, so people can see your progress and compare it to the older versions.

Also, welcome back, I remember you from the old blue Pixelation. Have a nice stay.
There are no ugly colours, only ugly combinations of colours.

Offline qunit

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: August 10, 2008, 12:16:45 am
i benished the orange colors

ptoing - what do you suggests ill do with the face
there are not color reduce - i outlined the original and gotten it smaller and then just filled by how i see it right
how do i make the face more... texured ?
One pixel at a time

Offline ptoing

• variegated quadrangle arranger
    • the_ptoing
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/2191.htm
    • View Profile
    • Perpetually inactive website

Reply #6 on: August 10, 2008, 12:19:57 am
Well, compare it to the reference. You can see the eye in the shadow for example. All in all there is way more detail and contrast in the photo than in your pixelart.
The face you have there atm does not look like you could easily recognise the person in it. Aim for a good likeness.
There are no ugly colours, only ugly combinations of colours.

Offline qunit

• View Profile

Reply #7 on: August 10, 2008, 01:43:44 am
well, i added detail ... it helped alot !
still, i doesnt looks like me ... what do i need to change ? cnc tnx
One pixel at a time

Offline Elrinth

• Hello peeps
    • View Profile
    • Elrinth's personal webpage

Reply #8 on: August 10, 2008, 02:40:24 am
here's maybe a constructive critique, not sure.. but anyways. you look like you're around 20 in the reference, but in your pixeled version you look like you've become 30+. Does anyone agree with me on this? Atleast I think it looks much more mature. And yeah, the helmet leather thingy looks very different compared to the reference.
"Truly, if there's evil out there, it lies within the heart of mankind!" - Edward D. Morrison
Mai fav games: Seiken Densetsu, Rockman, Doom, Final Fantasy, Zelda no Densetsu, Metroid, Kid Icarus
Fav consoles: Sharp Twin Fami, Super Nintendo Jr., Wintendo Gamecube

Offline EvilEye

• Game Developer Extroaordinaire
    • View Profile

Reply #9 on: August 10, 2008, 02:47:32 am
here's maybe a constructive critique, not sure.. but anyways. you look like you're around 20 in the reference, but in your pixeled version you look like you've become 30+. Does anyone agree with me on this? Atleast I think it looks much more mature. And yeah, the helmet leather thingy looks very different compared to the reference.

Heh, ya I noticed that too. His pixeled version aged about 15 years.