AuthorTopic: Rhino Gun thing  (Read 5280 times)

Offline AlexHW

• View Profile
    • AlexHW

Rhino Gun thing

on: August 08, 2008, 01:25:58 am
hrm.. figure ill post this.

Offline CaKsTeR

• View Profile

Re: Rhino Gun thing

Reply #1 on: August 08, 2008, 03:15:02 am
I like it, but the top edge of the gun is a bit jagged. (Is that the right word for that? o.o)

Also, what's with the shadows  :P

Offline AdamAtomic

• natural born medic
    • View Profile
    • Adam Atomic

Reply #2 on: August 08, 2008, 05:23:03 am
1 - Lovely colors as per usual!

2 - Attractive anatomy, as per usual!  I don't know enough to say whether or not its accurate, but I find it pleasant to look at.  The one exception is the nose/horn area's perspective feels a little off to me.

3 - Really washed out and for me it doesn't really add anything to the piece; I'm not sure how this benefits from such low contrast, as it looks bang-on awesome with much higher contrast:

Offline joe123

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: August 08, 2008, 10:13:47 am
I think there's too much space between the bottom of the horn and the nose hole thing :P

The horn looks on a different perspective to me.

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #4 on: August 08, 2008, 11:31:05 am
Nice ambient reflection ideas. I think the single speculars in the uniform mostly do not work. Here's an edit that addresses that along with a few nitpicks I couldn't help myself against. I didn't touch the selout, with which I disagree severely but eh, we've exhausted that many times before.

-
mine - adams

Offline AlexHW

• View Profile
    • AlexHW

Reply #5 on: August 08, 2008, 01:50:06 pm
thanks for the replies
helm, id be interested in hearing your thoughts on selout as i do not intentionally try to create it, i just try to do what i think looks good, so maybe im overlooking something.
maybe you can show an example or edit?

Offline ptoing

• variegated quadrangle arranger
    • the_ptoing
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/2191.htm
    • View Profile
    • Perpetually inactive website

Reply #6 on: August 08, 2008, 02:02:08 pm
Quite nice, I like the reflected light. Agree about the selout tho and places could use some aa (gun).

And another thing that bugs me is that there does not seem to be a proper lightsource. His arm is all shiny, while the glove is dark, and so on. It's a bit all over the place lighting wise.
There are no ugly colours, only ugly combinations of colours.

Offline Lackey

• remember to drink cure potions
    • View Profile

Reply #7 on: August 08, 2008, 06:41:12 pm
thanks for the replies
helm, id be interested in hearing your thoughts on selout as i do not intentionally try to create it, i just try to do what i think looks good, so maybe im overlooking something.
maybe you can show an example or edit?

I am not Helm.

But the first thing I thought when I saw this, was that the outline works well some places, and in other places it becomes nonsense.  I think it's actually as simple as not going to a darker colour on the end of a horizontal or vertical stripe of outline.  I think you're using it like shadows just clinging to the edge of the object but because these groups are so microscopic, and separated by pixels of lighter colors, they look sort of jagged like burrs.  This is most visible on the bull horns, where the color of the isolated outline bits is significantly darker than the area it's attached to.

In some places this works fine, but in some places (horns) it sticks out.  I don't think you can suggest a continuous edge with such a harsh disparity in value.

I tried an edit on just the head/horns to try and demonstrate what I mean about making the outlines more contiguous.

Offline Lunar

• Programmer/Spriter
    • View Profile
    • Skyfire

Reply #8 on: August 08, 2008, 06:58:16 pm
Good work.  Colors are great. 

The gun, and horns need some AAing though.

And, an orange shadow?   :P  But yeah, that was fixed in the first edit by Adam.

-Lunar

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile

Reply #9 on: August 08, 2008, 09:32:32 pm
about the reflected lights - in the original, they become a little too independent, especially on the interior of the orange shape around the crotch.  for colors of radically different hue to join together, it needs to be the ONLY contrast.  because the global value range is relatively narrow, small changes take on greater importance - increasing the effect of local value contrast and fighting the reflection's desire to blend into the orange.  In the more contrasty pictures they flow together better, despite being further apart color-wise, because the value range pushes them together better.

You're doing this whole atypical color and value range thing, and it's brining a whole set of challenges that don't usually appear :).  Because this is your jam though (and I respect that now, though it's still not what I prefer), I'm going to recommend against the "fuck it to fix it" method and urge you in the direction of finding solutions within your interest.   Adam and Helm give good edits, but I don't think it's what you were going for (correct me if i'm wrong).

I believe that it's going to take some theory, like it or not, so:

http://www.amazon.com/Interaction-Color-Revised-Josef-Albers/dp/0300018460
http://www.amazon.com/Elements-Color-Treatise-Johannes-library/dp/0442240384/ref=ed_oe_h

$10 that will change the way you see things forever.  Not to be read as gospel - 95% of art is to be discovered in life, not books, but the other part is important too.  The great thing about both of these is that most of what is presented is more description than prescription, and certainly not proscription, so unlike other art books these should not interfere with your independent development.
A mistake is a mistake.
The same mistake twice is a bad habit.
The same mistake three or more times is a motif.