AuthorTopic: [WiP] Chef Showdown  (Read 5497 times)

Offline rudydbooty

• Hi!
    • View Profile
    • Rudydbooty

[WiP] Chef Showdown

on: August 03, 2008, 06:59:50 pm
Ok so i am making a game
called chef showdown

and here is what i have so far..  i have not completed the Main Menu screen but i just did the words

ok here is the newer one!

newest one:

« Last Edit: August 04, 2008, 09:46:36 pm by rudydbooty »

Offline #36005A

• View Profile

Re: [WiP] Chef Showdown

Reply #1 on: August 03, 2008, 08:28:24 pm
I don't know if this really counts as pixel art yet. Not only is it just typography - which is sometimes considered an art - to me it just looks like a font you downloaded. And a pretty bad one at that. Look at the empty space between the letters "o" and "w", then between "w" and "d". It's completely different! That's some poor spacing which probably results from your using a bitmap font and increasing the size far too much. Also, the borders are so uniform, they look like they were added in Photoshop. Look at the crowding around the "w" and the annoyingly rounded edges of the borders.
But whether you did or did not make that text from scratch, the type is just plain old boring. The effect of using text that looks like it started out very small but was then increased in size to show the "pixels" is incredibly overused. Instead, why not shoot for something better? Make a cool logo. It's not like it hasn't been done before in pixel art: look at logos for any of your favorite classic RPGs! Perhaps you don't see your logo as boring, but either way I don't really see how the pixel-font style is relevant for a game called "chef showdown".

Beyond that, draw and post some actual pixel art to make this topic more interesting!! :)

Offline AdamAtomic

• natural born medic
    • View Profile
    • Adam Atomic

Reply #2 on: August 03, 2008, 09:00:19 pm
This is definitely not pixel art yet.  This is text with no AA and stroke applied.  All the previous posters crits stand, but I would also request that if you do feel the need to post pieces that you've only spent a few minutes on that you confine them to an existing thread or to the doodles topic in General.  Thanks!

Offline rudydbooty

• Hi!
    • View Profile
    • Rudydbooty

Reply #3 on: August 03, 2008, 09:24:10 pm
sorry ill keep working on it...

ok i fixed it!
« Last Edit: August 03, 2008, 10:45:43 pm by rudydbooty »

Offline TrevoriuS

• Pixels... everywhere!!
    • View Profile

Reply #4 on: August 03, 2008, 11:39:36 pm
So people commented your banner text, not the lack of background. Adding stuff doesn't solve errors.

Offline rudydbooty

• Hi!
    • View Profile
    • Rudydbooty

Reply #5 on: August 04, 2008, 12:26:20 am
I know what your saying i am just trying to work on the Main Menu Screen ...

I leave the text The Same.

ohh and sorry people i made that font... :D :D

and i did not download it...

sorry if it does not look very good..
« Last Edit: August 04, 2008, 12:38:45 am by rudydbooty »

Offline #36005A

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: August 04, 2008, 04:51:19 am
Okay then, if you insist on leaving the text the same, we'll talk about what you've just added.
I honestly cannot tell what the background is supposed to be. Bricks would be my first guess, but they read more as small rectangular buttons or pillows or something protruding from the wall. If you even look at reference pictures of bricks you'll notice that bricks have an alternating pattern, not one like yours. Also, making this background texture a light red somewhere in between the two shades of red in your title text only serves to make the title less readable. I don't mean to be rude, but it's actually a bit painful for me to try to read that text with the bright red repeating rectangles in back of it.
And what is below the "bricks"? Grass? A carpet? Are we viewing a cross-section of it from the side, or are we viewing it from above? It's entirely unclear as it appears to be one form, a big green rounded rectangular prism, with a little bit of texture on it. Making this a lot more readable is very important.
So even ignoring pixel-art techniques, at a basic art level this picture needs a lot of refining.
Finally, the knife below the logo looks very small and just slapped on. It's not an integral part of the title text or even the scene, it's just a knife sitting there below the text. It's also, as I mentioned before, so small that it's almost entirely unnoticeable.

It would probably help if you could tell us what it is exactly you've drawn when you post WIPs! That way we can be more specific in our help, and you can learn faster. And don't be afraid to spend some more time on your work, refining and reworking until you get exactly what you want.

Offline rudydbooty

• Hi!
    • View Profile
    • Rudydbooty

Reply #7 on: August 04, 2008, 05:21:37 pm
Thanks For the FeedBack

Offline Portponky

• View Profile
    • Shambles Software

Reply #8 on: August 04, 2008, 07:13:50 pm
ohh and sorry people i made that font... :D :D

The font is Fixedsys, it's a font that comes with windows which is monospaced, hence the bad alignment around the 'o'.

Offline rudydbooty

• Hi!
    • View Profile
    • Rudydbooty

Reply #9 on: August 04, 2008, 07:20:26 pm
yeah i know but i changed it a little to make it look more like a pixel font

ok tell me how good this is

i don't know what the background should look like any help??