AuthorTopic: Resonance  (Read 17737 times)

Offline Overkill

• View Profile
    • i make video games

Re: Resonance

Reply #30 on: May 23, 2009, 08:33:40 pm
Now with details. The leather was especially painful to do. ;_; Needs a scarf, and some head/hair movement.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2009, 08:45:53 pm by Overkill »

Offline Dr D

• Not a real doctor.
    • View Profile
    • PJ Gallery

Reply #31 on: May 23, 2009, 09:15:01 pm
Hmm, it just looks odd to me now. It doesn't seem like he's really picking his foot up, more like some kind of awkward sliding movement.

Offline Overkill

• View Profile
    • i make video games

Reply #32 on: May 23, 2009, 09:20:04 pm
Ngh, this is true. I started hurrying the leg details, because after looking at the same walk cycle for a few hours your eyes eventually go kjdsfdgkldfgkjg and stop noticing things. I think it's mostly the back leg that causes this odd effect. It definitely looks broken or something.

To be honest, I need to take a break for a bit. I think I'll grab supper, and watch some TV. I'll see if I can address this later.

Offline Overkill

• View Profile
    • i make video games

Reply #33 on: May 24, 2009, 03:41:14 am
Took another look at this. Now there's head motion and legs seem a lot less broken (to me, anyway).

I think at this point, I will require edits to really understand what can be fixed. It's tricky for me to deal with the subtleties here.

EDIT: Souly pointed out he's missing a neck. That's a pretty big oversight. How did I not notice?!

Also, made the arms bigger.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2009, 09:50:38 am by Overkill »

Offline Overkill

• View Profile
    • i make video games

Reply #34 on: May 24, 2009, 08:49:02 pm
Okay, after a bunch of advice from Arachne and Atnus (on Tigsource), I corrected the legs and arms to look less noodly while also avoiding stiffness:
Thanks to everyone who's given me suggestions so far! I'm about ready to move on to new animations, unless there's still something outstanding.

Offline 1up

• bbbbbbbbbbbbbb
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio

Reply #35 on: May 24, 2009, 08:56:58 pm
To be honest, it still looks like it needs a lot of work. The limbs aren't as noodly and flailing all over the place as they were in your last edit, but everything seems kind of

jumpy. His arms seem to be bending halfway down his forearm, and the whole swing with the right side of his body could either be made longer so it doesn't look so random and sporadic, or you might just try shortening up the back side and lowering the framerate a bit

Offline Overkill

• View Profile
    • i make video games

Reply #36 on: May 25, 2009, 02:01:22 am
Okay, thanks for the honesty. I've tried to take your advice. I'm hoping it's a step in the right direction?

EDIT: A really quick replacement to the head, since it seemed too stiff when it was facing directly forward like that. Not sure if this improved it or not.

« Last Edit: May 25, 2009, 02:41:15 am by Overkill »

Offline Atnas

• very daijōbs
    • paintbread
    • paintbread
    • View Profile

Reply #37 on: May 25, 2009, 12:02:34 pm
Better, but take a closer look at the arm closest to us. It's only moving at the elbow. try making in swing more from the shoulder, then as a side effect having the elbow move. Walking isn't a very conscious motion, but if you walk normally you'll notice you aren't doing much to your elbows, its actually all moving from the momentum the shoulder brings when it swings. So you may want to tone down the shoulder swing a little, because the forearm usually does not go past the butt when it goes back.

Also

When put side to side, you'll see another problem. Just shorten and slim him down even more. :3

I'd do an edit but really, not much can be said that Arachne already said.

Offline Overkill

• View Profile
    • i make video games

Reply #38 on: May 26, 2009, 12:53:29 am
Thanks again, Atnas. Tried following your advice about the arms. I lowered his neck too, and adjusted the thickness of the coat in several spots. It should look LESS odd now when compared to the idle stance (not quite there though).

Also took some advice from JaJitsu on Tigsource and reduced the turning of the body so it's not so excessive when the front arm goes back. Hopefully this has been an improvement.

Need to put his jacket pocket back in so the leather isn't so dull looking, and go for the scarf. I'll also try and trim 'im down more to fit with the idle pose more.

Offline Overkill

• View Profile
    • i make video games

Reply #39 on: May 26, 2009, 07:21:46 am
After a bit more work, here is what I've been able to make: