AuthorTopic: [WIP] Slug Movement  (Read 3575 times)

Offline h4x0r

• View Profile

[WIP] Slug Movement

on: August 03, 2008, 08:53:15 am
So there was this game when I was about 8, it wasn't professional at any rate.  It was made with GameMaker 4.0 and MSPaint.  But the gameplay and environment was so cool to me, maybe it was because I was eight?  Anyways...  I have made many versions of it myself, and I may make another one?!  Probably not, but I was bored and I practiced and did some things...

The Main Character:

His walk is based off of Wolverine's Prelude Hero 'Chase'.  Took me forever to finally get unlazy enough to make his face turn left and right.

And heres everything else...I was too lazy to upload a bunch of stuff, so I made a quick mockup.  The background is going to be a real background, but I can't seem to make one...  The things with the blue tip thingys near the top, are supposed to have lightning going in between them, however I haven't made the lightning yet...so it's not there...but pretend it is, that away I don't have to make it.

In the original game the green enemy didn't have eyes or a mouth, but I figured I'd add them in, more scary???  I really like the crate, it was made by accident, but hey it looks pretty good.  Incase anyone is wondering, the purple things are blocks that can only be destroyed by missiles...and they looked like that from the original game.  I'm using a 16 color palette, so colors are limited.  Back to that whole background thing, I'm trying to make a background that's artistic...but not distracting.  I have seen some great dithering on backgrounds in the generic 16 color palette thread.  I tried to copy that style, but I fail...badly...  So if anyone can give me some advice on that I'd be grateful!

C&C is very welcome!

Offline h4x0r

• View Profile

[WIP] Slug Movement

Reply #1 on: August 04, 2008, 06:09:28 am
I've been working on a few slugs lately:

At first it was really hard for me even to start, I couldn't find any animation of a slug/snake.  I did find one that was very very small, although it helped me realize that slugs do not always move like a caterpillar, they move more side to side.  But I can't seem to get it to look right.

C&C Welcome!

Offline PypeBros

• Pixel Padawan
    • PypeBros
    • View Profile
    • Bilou Homebrew's Blog.

Re: [WIP] Slug Movement

Reply #2 on: August 04, 2008, 07:30:09 am
imho, this is quite fast for a slug, It would probably make more sense to our eyes if you could show a scrolling bg (even just a checkerboard) behind the slugs, as they simply seems to be "vibrating" so far.

Also, you may want to have the head waving up and down as the slug is moving, in order to conserve its volume. I suggest you study those sequences of Star Wars starring Jabba the Hutt and get inspiration from that.

Offline ptoing

• variegated quadrangle arranger
    • the_ptoing
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/2191.htm
    • View Profile
    • Perpetually inactive website

Re: [WIP] Slug Movement

Reply #3 on: August 04, 2008, 12:43:00 pm
I merged your topics. Please do not make a new topic for every sprite you make if you have an active topic on the first page, esp not if the sprites are related. I see the slug in that mockup so it would be appropriate to post it here anyway.
There are no ugly colours, only ugly combinations of colours.