• ...zzzt...
    • @thickDumps
    • View Profile
    • thickDumps

wip

on: August 03, 2008, 12:10:01 am

still working on the fan
c+c
Man cannot remake himself without suffering for he is both the marble and the sculptor.

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile

Re: wip

Reply #1 on: August 03, 2008, 01:44:03 am
not really sure what you're looking for pixel-wise. if only the fan is WIP.

do you want design critique?  content critique?
A mistake is a mistake.
The same mistake twice is a bad habit.
The same mistake three or more times is a motif.

Offline Rydin

• ...zzzt...
    • @thickDumps
    • View Profile
    • thickDumps

Reply #2 on: August 03, 2008, 08:44:27 pm
how about both?
Man cannot remake himself without suffering for he is both the marble and the sculptor.

Offline TrevoriuS

• Pixels... everywhere!!
    • View Profile

Reply #3 on: August 03, 2008, 09:52:02 pm
In my eyes this s a senseless piece, having no respectable level of skill in the art, nor message, or something to think about.

Offline Malor

• Masquerading as a black bear.
    • View Profile

Reply #4 on: August 04, 2008, 02:04:08 pm
In my eyes this s a senseless piece, having no respectable level of skill in the art, nor message, or something to think about.

That's a wee bit harsh, don't you think? I thought I do agree that as of right now, there's not much to look at or critique... So if you're planning to.. work on it beyond the earliest WIP stages, then look for come critique.
Quote from: Adarias
I'm not going to pretend this is a small task either; certainly none of us here can claim to have accomplished it.  it's the realm of masters.  still, it's what we all have to try for.

Offline ptoing

• variegated quadrangle arranger
    • the_ptoing
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/2191.htm
    • View Profile
    • Perpetually inactive website

Reply #5 on: August 04, 2008, 04:03:06 pm

Message not necesseraly, but it has a quite clear content to me. I see it as a guy lying on bed and a figure which could be a personification of his bad conscience looking at him in disgust.

That being said, there is nothing to critique here on a pixel level, as it is still way too WIP for that (as others stated).

The composition could use some work. Atm my eye goes to the head of the standing figure and then down to the head of the lying guy, then to the pillow and then back to the head of standing dude again with brief interlude at the chair. To make the concept work better you could have stuff on the desk that signifies work. Open books or something.
The positioning of the dude on the bed is a bit odd, there is a tangent of his heel and bedside. If the figure on the left is supposed to be symbolic of bad conscience/guilt it could be made more obvious by giving it a stronger part in the composition, making it bigger or making it more abstract and menacing looking. The areas which are empty could be defocused by making them murky and dark and then have a dreadful light over the work that is supposed to be done. Just thinking aloud here.

Also for this kinda work I would probably use a really dreary palette apart from certain things (like the menacing glow on the standing figure). In general I think for this a double complementary contrast blue/orange, purple/yellow or a cold-warm contrast with some clever light and darks would work best.
There are no ugly colours, only ugly combinations of colours.

Offline Rydin

• ...zzzt...
    • @thickDumps
    • View Profile
    • thickDumps

Reply #6 on: August 04, 2008, 09:57:19 pm

quick layers edit. starting to work on colors.
if i'm going to take this from a piece of shit to something sorta worthwhile, i mine as well start over--it wasn't my original idea to refine this.  form should reflect content and content should determine form.

but for c+c, you don't have to be scared to hurt my feelings or something. rip out my spine and twist it into shape.

fan still bothers me.

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #7 on: August 05, 2008, 09:46:59 am
if i'm going to take this from a piece of shit to something sorta worthwhile, i mine as well start over--it wasn't my original idea to refine this.  form should reflect content and content should determine form.

Why are you posting for critique then?

Offline Ben2theEdge

• I'ma drink mah coffee!
    • View Profile
    • My Deviantart Gallery

Reply #8 on: August 05, 2008, 01:30:39 pm
If you want critique on the content, I think the room needs to be more claustrophobic, if the intent is to portray this guy as being trapped with his "conscience" or whatever it is. There's an opening on the left side of the room with light coming out of it - is that intentional as a path of escape for purple guy? If it is I'd emphasize it - if not, close it off. What is the message being told by the empty desk? Is it because he's not working on anything? What if he had unfinished work on the desk that he started and couldn't bring himself to finish? The central idea is here but it can be fleshed out quite a bit, every element in the image can be used to express something.
I mild from suffer dislexia.