AuthorTopic: [wip] [nudity] why, hello there!  (Read 3898 times)

Offline turfsurfer

• View Profile

[wip] [nudity] why, hello there!

on: August 01, 2008, 02:06:01 am
Howdy!
I've been lurking for a few months and after pixeling for eight hours today i decided it was time to get an account and get some feedback on my work. So here it goes!

Your generic dump containing a whole bunch of stuff WIP, a few finished baddies and power ups and a couple color variations thereof:

The female character, as well as a bunch of characters yet to be are based loosely on the geometry of the trainers from pokemon. I liked the scale and thought it would be easy to make a doll from. And i am aware of the likeness between some of my little bipedal plant guys and oddish, i havent played pokemon in years and completely forgot about him until someone pointed out the simalarity :'( bummer. oh well.

The beginnings of my first tileset in semi-mock-up form:

I know there is some hairiness around where the blue diamond tiles get dark and the highlight on the ornament on the bottom corners, i just havent figured out how to go about remedying it yet.

and my first two (pixel) animations:

Well thats it for now c&c on anything if you feel like it. This place is a great resource and really inspired me to get in gear about making this game.

edit: proper warning format
« Last Edit: August 01, 2008, 02:15:45 am by turfsurfer »

Offline Dusty

• View Profile

Re: [wip] [nudity] why, hello there!

Reply #1 on: August 01, 2008, 03:03:45 am
Hm... I really like those pillars.

As for the women, I think she could do with some contrast. Also, the outline is kind of wonky... see how the black lines just stand way out against the background? Even though it's dark.

She also looks like she has faun legs:

Because of how the front of the shin goes back, and just the overall structure of them. This could possibly be because of the lack of feet, also.

Oh, and I wouldn't consider this nudity, though. Base sprites in their simplest format is pretty common. It will most likely up the views of your thread though :P
« Last Edit: August 01, 2008, 03:06:07 am by Dusty »

Offline Mike

• View Profile
    • Scribble onto the Abyss

Reply #2 on: August 01, 2008, 07:36:43 am
Very nice!  I love the color variations you have in all of your pixelations and the characters are cool too.  I like the nudity by the way, you should keep it like that.  On the off chance you do change it might I recommend not committing to it.  I didn't have clothes designs for a character of mine for the longest time and I even made quite a bit of animations but when I did get the design down I had to go back and redraw everything basically.  It was not a fun time. 

Furthermore I get what you are doing with her leg and how it shows the calf protruding but it is a bit extreme.  Normally the calf protrudes when it is a profile shot.  From what I can see though it appears to be a style choice that you used in order to make the silhouette more interesting.  Anyway keep it up I love what you have so far. 

One question, might I ask what is the meaning of the green text that has to do with contrast?

Offline $ymbol

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: August 01, 2008, 11:03:54 am
Where's her tits? >:C

But okay, in all seriousness, I really like the pillars; though I find the platforms to look a little flat.

The girl is good too, just the skin palette needs hue shifting. The Outline shading makes her skin look dirty as well.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2008, 01:35:32 pm by $ymbol »

Offline turfsurfer

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: August 01, 2008, 01:05:11 pm
wow, thanks for the crits so far, they're pretty helpful.

I put in the nudity thing because i've seen a few doll threads with that tag i wanted to make sure i wasn't doing it wrong. I'll take another look at the girl anatomy and color pallet wise, i havent payed much attention to her in a while, and i think other than the green blob she was my first attempt at something sprite-ish. I could actually use some advice with her outlining, i'm not great at that and it seems to be a hit or miss think for me.

The green type is a reminder for myself, i changed those values in the psd where i have all of those images, but i haven't changed them in the animations yet, its just so i can remember what i did.

Thanks again!

Offline Mike

• View Profile
    • Scribble onto the Abyss

Reply #5 on: August 05, 2008, 11:05:36 pm
You did a great job on the outlines already.  One piece of advice that you could do is to squint your eyes when it is 1x and see if there is anything out of place but I just did that and everything seems to be in order.