AuthorTopic: [WIP] Need opinions on running animations  (Read 26041 times)

Offline McStinkus

• View Profile

Re: [WIP] Need opinions on running animations

Reply #30 on: August 11, 2008, 12:24:49 pm
Ok, will work on the elbow in front of face hand!  Thanks! Also, There will be a transitional animation when he starts to run that will show him put it in front of his face.  Then it will jump to this loop and 'maybe' alternate between this and another running animation.

Offline McStinkus

• View Profile

Reply #31 on: August 13, 2008, 06:21:30 am
For the life of me, I can't make a better hand.  At this point, Unless someone can come up with one that reads better, I'm willing to assume that the transitional animation showing him start running and putting the arm in front of his face illuminates the fact that indeed it is his arm.  any takers on some edits?  Here are some updates:

The only difference is the left has a different hand and the glare on the scabbard moves some (unnoticeable), and the fellow on the right goes up and down 2 pixels per step.  Which hand and which movement do you all prefer?  Still on my list to do is do some subpixel (well, to get it right) on the dude's head so it seems like its part of the image and moving and to draw the scarf/bandana.   ignore the single pixel on the left guy.  and ignore the fact that they are running at different speeds.  Can anyone see anything else that is crucial?

Offline Mike

• View Profile
    • Scribble onto the Abyss

Reply #32 on: August 13, 2008, 09:27:26 am
i didn't realize you were going to have a transition animation when I made my comment so now that I know I think what you have will work.  I'll try and make an edit anyway.  Furthermore the 2nd one is better because of the bounce.

Offline EvilEye

• Game Developer Extroaordinaire
    • View Profile

Reply #33 on: August 13, 2008, 12:58:02 pm
I want you to go outside and try to run like that.

No, really, I dare you. Don't forget to hold a stick in your right hand.

Over-exaggeration is one thing, but this pose is awkward. A ninja would not be awkward. Turn his left hand over. Turn the blade up. Turn his right hand over.

And I don't think the bounce on the right one is better, the left one looks more stable for drawing a weapon.

Offline McStinkus

• View Profile

Reply #34 on: August 13, 2008, 04:44:29 pm
Interesting, I don't find this all that uncomfortable.  I can't lean as for forward and be as on my toes as this guy when I run, obviously, but everything else is kosher to me.  Thats how I came up with those poses.  I do agree with turning the sword hand over but every attempt I've made has been unreadable.  I think his left hand palm-in is very uncomfortable and palm out is ok. 

This isn't outside running around but it illuminates what I'm saying.  His scabbard is slung through his haramaki (which you will see at points) so hes not carrying the whole thing from the tip like that.   I'll try and flip the sword hand.  Also, Evil, do you think maybe the forearm is too long?  I just noticed and did a quick mockup of it on one frame and it looks better I think 2-3 pixels shorter.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2008, 05:30:15 pm by McStinkus »

Offline Xion

• View Profile
    • FourbitFriday

Reply #35 on: August 13, 2008, 08:19:56 pm
the animation gives the impression that his hand is resting on his shoulder.

Offline MrMister

• meltymorph
    • View Profile

Reply #36 on: August 13, 2008, 08:46:50 pm
 I don't see how you could lean forward like that unless you were running pretty quickly, in which case shouldn't he be taking longer strides..?
it might be a one shot deal

Offline McStinkus

• View Profile

Reply #37 on: August 13, 2008, 08:48:22 pm
Here's one with the hand shorter, sword hand not done:

Mr. Mister: He is moving pretty fast.  The image speed is just low on browsers.  I think its sort of a video game / anime tradition that ninjas run sort of like this.
Xion: crap, does it really look like that?  even with the shadow of the hand on the arm and all?  any chance of an edit to make it look more like the photo?
« Last Edit: August 13, 2008, 09:15:49 pm by McStinkus »

Offline EvilEye

• Game Developer Extroaordinaire
    • View Profile

Reply #38 on: August 14, 2008, 01:00:29 am

The pose in that picture is what I was recommending.

Your ninja's hands look like this to me:

« Last Edit: August 14, 2008, 06:34:34 am by EvilEye »

Offline McStinkus

• View Profile

Reply #39 on: August 14, 2008, 03:21:52 pm
nice sketch evil.  if my arms looked half that good i would be satisfied.  hows this? 

I didn't animate it yet obviously.  Its sort of in between the old pose and what we are talking about.  ignore the shoulder area, i haven't paid it heed yet.