AuthorTopic: my pixel art.  (Read 16616 times)

Offline TomF

• View Profile

Re: my pixel art.

Reply #30 on: August 16, 2008, 07:12:56 am
What is it? What 3D shape is it supposed to be? Shade the object according to the volume. I think you'd really benefit from taking a pencil and paper and just drawing various shapes from life, and see how light hits their surfaces. You're still thinking in terms of 2D, draw with the solid object in mind.

Offline rudydbooty

• Hi!
    • View Profile
    • Rudydbooty

Reply #31 on: August 16, 2008, 03:14:47 pm
Oh.. i made this thing  any good??

or do i need to improve some more and work on other shapes??

EDIT:
(very SMALL EDIT)

« Last Edit: August 16, 2008, 03:20:12 pm by rudydbooty »

Offline JJ Naas

• View Profile
    • My Deviantart page

Reply #32 on: August 16, 2008, 03:51:50 pm
These are kinda hard to evaluate because they don't represent anything more recognizable than a blob with a thing on its head.. why don't you try yo make something that's clearly recognizable for everyone, like a house or a tree or character which isn't just made of same material all over, like the ones above. A character with clothes on and hair on it's head. And try to finish at least one piece instead of moving on to make a totally new pic after one or two edits.

You need to forget about the blob style for now and draw something more concrete looking and then later return to a more simplified style again. These forms are too simplified to be very useful in terms of trying to learn anything.

Offline Cure

• http://pixeljoint.com/p/2621.htm
    • facebook.com/logantannerart
    • View Profile

Reply #33 on: August 16, 2008, 07:35:52 pm
I honestly suggest that you stop making pixel art for now.  Entirely.  You're not getting anywhere or any better.  As ptoing has said, you need the basics first.  Hit the sketchpad and improve on your fundamentals before rushing into a new pixel that has an uncanny resemblance to the last pixel you never learned anything from or took anywhere.

+apologizes if harsh, etc

Offline rudydbooty

• Hi!
    • View Profile
    • Rudydbooty

Reply #34 on: August 16, 2008, 08:16:07 pm
K i will

thanks for the comments.

ill hit the sketch pad.

Offline rudydbooty

• Hi!
    • View Profile
    • Rudydbooty

Reply #35 on: August 23, 2008, 11:13:20 pm
ok i have been working and working in sketch but i can't seem to get it i have tried on a few guys but no success

so i decided to make this robo dude...

Robo dude 2

( ill have to make him more alive when he breaths)
 :crazy:

Offline tomblifter

• View Profile

Reply #36 on: August 23, 2008, 11:21:38 pm
Why would a robot breath?

Offline Cure

• http://pixeljoint.com/p/2621.htm
    • facebook.com/logantannerart
    • View Profile

Reply #37 on: August 24, 2008, 06:14:39 am
Why would a robot breathe?
fix'd

Call it an android and we can skip this logic stuff.  It's more like a heart beating than breathing.  He shouldn't inhale and exhale in a nanosecond, but I'm not sure how you could really make a believable breathing animation with such a simple shape.  Not much you can do to a rectangle.  If he had a chest and abdomen, however...

Offline rudydbooty

• Hi!
    • View Profile
    • Rudydbooty

Reply #38 on: August 24, 2008, 06:12:17 pm
Ahh... Forget about the breathing well here is an edit on the ROBO

(i changed the shading a little bit and added the thing on top)

EDIT:

I tried to make him jump..

« Last Edit: August 24, 2008, 06:29:20 pm by rudydbooty »

Offline Atnas

• very daijōbs
    • paintbread
    • paintbread
    • View Profile

Reply #39 on: August 24, 2008, 06:47:50 pm
Ditch the detail and work on form. You have two dimensional shapes. The purpose of shading in the first place is to trick the eye into thinking something is three dimensional when it's really on a flat surface.

Look at your character from different angles, it might help you when figuring out how light casts itself on an object.

Here I've drawn your character's basic form, then applied it to your sprite. Think of the light as a mask over the detail. I changed the outline of your sprite based on the details (the plates) inside. The outline itself is a stylistic separator, and should in no way restrict form.

Edit: I forgot to mention, you have unnecessary shades in your palette. I used your palette, but I only used four colors. It's a common mistake to work zoomed in real close and think that some shades make it look better, when in actuality they are impossible to see far away.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2008, 08:40:03 pm by Atnas »