AuthorTopic: [WIP] Small Vampire Slayer  (Read 4308 times)

Offline h4x0r

• View Profile

[WIP] Small Vampire Slayer

on: July 27, 2008, 07:47:05 am

So I was inspired a few days ago by Bloodsucking Cinema to make a vampire slaying game based in the 19th century (Steampunk Style).  I like small sprite games...maybe because I'm lazy?  I'm not quite sure.  I am reluctant to put these up, because I just started using GraphicsGale and I don't know how to change the speed.  It is supposed to be faster...although I cannot make it faster.  I am trying a new animation style, I saw it on old cartoons.  I'm sure you all know what it is, it's where you make an inbetween out of the before and after image, and blur them together...kinda...  So anyways, the main character has a black three piece suit without his coat on.  But anyway, I have two reasons for posting this.  One I want to show them off...well, what little there is to show off.  Second is that I cannot seem to make a walk style for him.  I have tried 8 times now, and all of them aren't even worth posting...it is quite irritating.  Maybe its because I'm a programmer first and a pixel artist second...and I am more focused on the programming of the game...I dunno, but if anyone can help me out I would be grateful!!!  Before anyone asks, I have looked, analyzed, and even copied a jpeg file, made the legs small, just to see what a walk style this small should look like.  I think the thing is is that I am not used to animating this small.  But that's why I am practicing!!!

PS:
So I just previewed them again...yea they look way better faster.  I use GM's graphic's editor for animating...and GraphicsGale for transparency and looping...  So there is a huge difference in speed!!!

MODIFY:
So in case anyone is interested, you can see the actual speed here, its a small example of charging up and jousting, and slashing.  Nothing special by any means, but shows my point about the speed.

Helpful Notes:
X - Slash
Z - Joust/Charge Up
Left/Right - Face Left/Right

If I am not supposed to post something like this, I will take it down!  I read the rules and nothing was in it, so I guess its ok...but I have been wrong before...
« Last Edit: July 28, 2008, 01:31:12 am by h4x0r »

Offline tomblifter

• View Profile

Re: [WIP] Small Vampire Slayer

Reply #1 on: July 27, 2008, 07:49:29 pm
Personaly, I think that a bright blue blade might not look good on a dark and medieval style of game. Maybe blood-red, or grey?

Offline Opacus

• Entangled
    • View Profile
    • www.jimjansen.net

Reply #2 on: July 27, 2008, 07:53:18 pm
Personaly, I think that a bright blue blade might not look good on a dark and medieval style of game. Maybe blood-red, or grey?

I disagree, I think it will look good. Not only because the contrast of the blue against the reds and the dark colours will look good and bring diversity.
But also because he is not a vampire, but a vampire slayer. Blue versus red. Good versus evil. It fits perfectly.

Offline tomblifter

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: July 27, 2008, 09:02:10 pm

I disagree, I think it will look good. Not only because the contrast of the blue against the reds and the dark colours will look good and bring diversity.
But also because he is not a vampire, but a vampire slayer. Blue versus red. Good versus evil. It fits perfectly.
Its a matter of personal taste I guess.

Offline h4x0r

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: July 27, 2008, 11:43:17 pm
I had the same dilemma, I think I'm going to go inbetween both sides.  I want it to be bright yes, but not that bright.  I also have a run animation done, I can't seem to get the feet to look right.  They look bigger on the run animation then they do on the rest of the animations.  Also I don't know what to do with the arm.  I was thinking of having it flap up and down, but I thought I'd ask around first.

C&C welcome!

Offline Sherman Gill

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: July 27, 2008, 11:50:32 pm
Don't think the feet are really a problem.
Also, the animation looks like it has half the frames it does at 1x zoom. If you make it so the legs don't follow the exact same paths it will be more visible.
Oh yes naked women are beautiful
But I like shrimps more haha ;)

Offline tomblifter

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: July 28, 2008, 12:04:37 am
I had the same dilemma, I think I'm going to go inbetween both sides.  I want it to be bright yes, but not that bright.  I also have a run animation done, I can't seem to get the feet to look right.  They look bigger on the run animation then they do on the rest of the animations.  Also I don't know what to do with the arm.  I was thinking of having it flap up and down, but I thought I'd ask around first.

C&C welcome!
One thing you could add the other arm, swinging back and forth like he was really running.
As for the other arm, try to make it look more flexible in animation, how would you run if you held a sword? If it looks good, you should keep it that way, even if it isn't perfectly natural.

Offline h4x0r

• View Profile

Reply #7 on: July 28, 2008, 02:56:07 am
I updated the sword, I think that's step one.  I will be adding the other arm,  right now I am working on the legs.

@Sherman Gill - It took me until now to realize what you mean, and I think that will be the huge fix, because I realized it looked like it was only half an animation unless you looked really hard at it.  I gave it a try but it doesn't look different enough:

Added the other arm:

« Last Edit: July 28, 2008, 03:20:26 am by h4x0r »