AuthorTopic: A Helping Hand (black n white) [WIP]  (Read 3655 times)

Offline gamingjustin

• View Profile

A Helping Hand (black n white) [WIP]

on: August 06, 2008, 08:47:51 pm

As you can see, I'm having a bit of trouble making it look like the hand is pulling the skin back. Right now, it seems like the skin decided to rip itself open and a hand is just sort of just floating in front of it. Can anyone give me tips on how to make it look like the hand is interacting with the head?

Any tips and/or comments would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, all.

Okay! Here's how far I've gotten. I'm no pro when it comes to dithering so I just stuck with the black-dot-every-other-pixel technique... I finally realized that the eyes are totally whacked out. The bottom half of his head is turned more than the top half of his head. Pretty cool stuff!! :( So, I guess this piece has become more abstract than I anticipated, yippee. Thanks again for the input, all. If you have any extra critiques please feel free to share.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2008, 05:33:18 pm by gamingjustin »

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Re: stretching, pulling skin: any pointers?

Reply #1 on: August 06, 2008, 08:56:18 pm
turn the last knuckles of every finger inwards inside the head. Make the hand grip and it will look like you want it to look. Also since you're early in the design I guess it's a good time to tell you the ears are a bit high (perhaps, there's people like this surely) and the nose/mouth is a bit of center. Also, look at photographs of necks/sternums before you do the neck :)

Offline AtlasNyne

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: August 06, 2008, 08:57:39 pm
I think if you change it so you can see some skin in front of the fingers, and maybe some skin folding or molding around the fingers it would help.

Offline gamingjustin

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: August 06, 2008, 09:09:54 pm
All righty! Thanks for the blazing-fast responses. I'll get cracking on all that-- shift nose, bend knuckles, touch up skin folds, lower ears slightly, check out some necks and... yeah, thanks.  ;D

Is this neck okay? Thanks again for the tips, I think it's improving.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2008, 09:45:25 pm by gamingjustin »

Offline Willows

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: August 07, 2008, 12:11:55 am
Go stand in front of a mirror, grab your forehead like so, and pull upward to physically emulate what you're trying to depict! Of course, don't actually tear your skin, just look at how pulling the skin on your forehead moves your eyelids and eyebrows.

Also, I'd consider finding a balloon and playing with it to see how it stretches and folds and tears. I'd imagine human skin is somewhat similar, though obviously less elastic.

Offline Lunar

• Programmer/Spriter
    • View Profile
    • Skyfire

Re: A Helping Hand (black n white) [WIP]

Reply #5 on: August 09, 2008, 02:31:46 am
I agree with Willows.  I like what you've done above the hole in his head, the wrinkles and such, but the eyebrows don't look like they are effected by the force pulling upwards.

-Seth