AuthorTopic: Challenge Me!  (Read 8031 times)

Offline JSwitch

• View Profile

Challenge Me!

on: July 26, 2008, 04:28:48 pm
Okay, I'm new to Pixelation, but I have made a few graphics before and I hope to get better.
I currently use Graphics Gale because it's simple yet effective to use.
So, challenge me! No extreme things, though, that'd take a newbie a while (because, I pretty much am one!)

Offline The B.O.B.

• currently losering it up...
    • View Profile

Re: Challenge Me!

Reply #1 on: July 26, 2008, 04:37:41 pm
   Hello JSwitch, and welcome to pixelation. First challenge: read the FAQs, and know that this thread is for pixel art, which this thread currently lacks(and will most likely be moved elsewhere by a mod).

If it's a challenge you seek, pixeljoint.com has weekly challenges for pixel artists, just like yourself. If you'd rather stay here, I'd suggest taking your pick of any in the challenge and activities thread....otherwise, pixel anything you want and post it here, and we'll critique it...hard....cuz' we're hardcore.
my back hurts...

Offline JSwitch

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: July 26, 2008, 04:44:09 pm
   Hello JSwitch, and welcome to pixelation. First challenge: read the FAQs, and know that this thread is for pixel art, which this thread currently lacks(and will most likely be moved elsewhere by a mod).

If it's a challenge you seek, pixeljoint.com has weekly challenges for pixel artists, just like yourself. If you'd rather stay here, I'd suggest taking your pick of any in the challenge and activities thread....otherwise, pixel anything you want and post it here, and we'll critique it...hard....cuz' we're hardcore.
I'd like to let you know that I've already looked in the FAQs and Challenge sections, but they seem to be too advanced for me.
I'm trying to have some sort of way to get the hang of pixelling first by having people tell me to do a few things to get me started/on the right track.

Offline AdamAtomic

• natural born medic
    • View Profile
    • Adam Atomic

Reply #3 on: July 26, 2008, 04:49:34 pm
No.

As in, if you need someone to tell you what to do to even START pixeling something, you are DOOMED.  To fail.  Forever.

Open MS Paint.  Think up an idea.  Draw it.  Then, per this forum's title, we will critique it!

I am leaving this thread unlocked and in this forum on the condition that the next post to it be from JSwitch, and that it contain pixel art made by JSwitch!

Offline The B.O.B.

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: July 26, 2008, 04:53:28 pm
Fine. You're first mission: Capture the realism of a fruit with given light source: ie, pixel or veggie or fruit, and make it as best as your mind can possibly make through pixel art, with light shining on it at one point. Restriction: size can only be within 100x100 pixels. You can only use 16 colors max( I'm giving you some slack here)...

Hint, though the idea may seem easy at first, you may run into conventional problems. Best tip I can give you is focus on volumes, and choose your colors wisely...

Have at it, boss!

Edit: crap, right when I posted , got the red message, but accidentally hit post...I'm not in trouble, am I Adam?
my back hurts...

Offline JSwitch

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: July 26, 2008, 04:57:16 pm
Okay, Adam.
This is my only pixelation I have right now.
Mask of Truth in Majora's Mask.

My reference:
http://www.zeldadungeon.net/Zelda06Masks.php

Offline JSwitch

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: July 26, 2008, 05:44:15 pm
Fine. You're first mission: Capture the realism of a fruit with given light source: ie, pixel or veggie or fruit, and make it as best as your mind can possibly make through pixel art, with light shining on it at one point. Restriction: size can only be within 100x100 pixels. You can only use 16 colors max( I'm giving you some slack here)...

Hint, though the idea may seem easy at first, you may run into conventional problems. Best tip I can give you is focus on volumes, and choose your colors wisely...
I've got a pretty good outline of a banana, if I do say so myself, and it's within that limit.
It's only an outline though, so obviously it's a WIP.

My reference is http://blog.baliwww.com/images/fruit_banana.jpg.

Offline AdamAtomic

• natural born medic
    • View Profile
    • Adam Atomic

Reply #7 on: July 26, 2008, 05:56:18 pm
nah nobody's in trouble :D  there is pixel art in this thread now!  and jswitch started pixeling stuff!

jswitch, have you ever tried painting just with a few gray values instead of with an outline?  Like choose 3 or 4 gray tones, and just paint the basic shape with those by painting planes of light, rather than drawing like a coloring book style image?  Even if you end up not liking it as a workflow I think you will learn a lot from it!

Offline JSwitch

• View Profile

Reply #8 on: July 26, 2008, 10:06:51 pm
nah nobody's in trouble :D  there is pixel art in this thread now!  and jswitch started pixeling stuff!

jswitch, have you ever tried painting just with a few gray values instead of with an outline?  Like choose 3 or 4 gray tones, and just paint the basic shape with those by painting planes of light, rather than drawing like a coloring book style image?  Even if you end up not liking it as a workflow I think you will learn a lot from it!
Well, it's a WIP.
The mask I did on another forum for a game I work for (Graal Online) so I'm just trying to get better at pixeling :P Might help with it (not a paying job though >.>)
The banana is a WIP. I want to know if the outlines good before starting.

Offline The B.O.B.

• View Profile

Reply #9 on: July 27, 2008, 06:28:50 am
   Whenever I hinted at volumes, I was really trying to say: F*ck outlines. Forget what you see in games for a moment, and just think life: When was the last time you saw someone or a life-object, with outlines? Answer: never. Cause there is none. I think lines are suggestive, and help the mind shape objects. So basically, it's something that isn't really there, helping the mind shape something that is really there.
   I'd like you to try and just use flat colors to emphasize the volume of the banana. This will help your mind understand shape, and form. Once you have down basic construction, than you can start building on detail, such as lines.(this is really just regurgitation of traditional art practices. Doodling in real life helps. Ironically, sketching lines help balance out the volumes phase for me sometimes....)
my back hurts...