AuthorTopic: DUMP / Digging out a look  (Read 6361 times)

Offline Conzeit

• Camus
    • conzeit
    • View Profile
    • CONZEIT

DUMP / Digging out a look

on: July 25, 2008, 05:13:26 am
EDIT: Ooooops...wrong forum? maybe not...given the focus  :mean: *shrug* i'll leave it up to the mods to decide :huh:

Well, I had been in a movie school for the past 2 years and a half, (not really been doing anything last semester) and I feel like I'm really going nowhere....so I was kind of recopilating my stuff, and I realized there's this emerging style that I havent really sated yet, so I decided to make this topic, try and recopilate that...get a few oppinions on the way too.

First I'll post a sprite...which was the first one I animated seriously. I remember when I made this I was crazy about putting detail everywhere. I was already thinking of sub pixel animation
(mind you, my sprite site at the moment was a megaman board so this WAS pretty detailed for the standard)
But animating this thing made me realize that showing detail by stating a few simple things, and leaving the rest to be guessed is more captivating. Right now, I asociate that with artist David Lloyd who did V for vendetta (damn the idiot who colored that book), Helm suggested in some topic here that some...argentinian guy did the same thing but to better effect...but the feeling I get is that he goes TOO far into detailing things.

There's a particular page in another of Moore's book, not drawn by LLoyd but that I really love, because it evokes a grand scale and still keeps that same minimalistic Lloyd look. http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v165/talbot/Prom-7Vendett-ISH.jpg Here's the pic...and here's an attempt at making it monotone, http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v165/talbot/Prom-7Vendett-INK.png which I think looks best.

I kept making mostly just sprites, but shadows kept creeping in, since it's an obvious way to make everything not detailed and have the viewer think about it.

By the time I drew this I knew I wanted a style that would convey depth effectively for both background and sprites. Hopefully cross over outside of pixelart....this interest of mine is probably just as good for vectors as it is for pixelart, except I still cant cope with drawing using vectors.

One of the reasons I have this fascination for using blotches of solid color to create depth, is because I animate by using blotches of solid color. There's an innate desire there to reconcile sketch and finished piece, by concieving a method that is both good for my animation techniques and for illustration.

This guy is for an unfinished project concerning Cuchulain, somewhat of the Odiseus equivalent for Celtic mythos.

Said Celtic hero's main ability is growing really angry and becoming a monster by ways of making horrible contortions inside his body, this supposedly gives him great battle advantage.While the contortions are specifically described in the source material, I thought I'd take them my own interpretation and use the human joints in several weird ways. This file detailes said posibilities.

I post it here because it shows the most effective attempt I've made at this "style" I'm chasing around here.

PS: I have no patience for outlines, I only put them in if I think they're really good for a specifical part of the piece but I avoid them by rule, I kind of see them as cheating. Selout is like an incredibly convoluted version of an outline, so I avoid that quite admanantly...expect when it emerges on it's own in the shading.

Looking trough my stuff I realized that for "hath Sinned" the 72HourCompo of 2005 I worked on with the GameDevGuys was when I came closest to this aesthetic, because I was forced to work fast. At the same time I realized how poor my imagination really was, and how much better I was at drawing human faces than I thought...I expected this to take me much more than it did.

These two I made in anticipation of the compo, I thought I'd probably have to make some backgrounds and I'd better parctice something that could be made fast but worked well. Right now, I think this is the best I've done to make this thing work for backgrounds.
Here's an earlier try that admittedly sucked.

In the end, the theme of the compo turned out to be horror, so I simply made the background of everything dark.

They are gory murder scenes, this one takes place in a bath.

Kitchen

Living room

Couldnt help but touch up the living room murder when I reopened it...

Bedroom.

This is the only background that came out looking actually remarkable.

Then came sabreman, a remake of a game that I didnt even like but I still wanted to be in, because I'd be working with Dr.DerekDoctors and other people who usually finish what they do, unlike me...think of it the only completed product outside comercial stuff I've been a part of was the 72hour compo

Only the sprite is mine, but this gives it the context of the "style"

A few actions for the fellow.

A portrait of Solid Snake...my own interpretation of his MGS1 version, trying to go for a sort of two-face look here....

This is...quite the self decrepating self portrait, based only of course on my state of mind when I drew this.

Started out simply enough.

Kept tweaking it with time

last night, while reminiscing on all of this, gave it a last edit. I think this comes pretty close to what I want to do.

For those that dont recall me, this is the kind of thing anybody who remembers me thinks of when they think of me...

So...yeah, please comment but....try to gear it towards wether there is any style bubbling under here, wether you think that's someting worth thinking about.....I probably will enjoy specifical C&Cs, but dont expect me to really change things, I'm contemplating on something underlying here, something that could be used to make full animations where everything moves much much easier than they currently seem to...uhh me.
This is kind of what I mean, except I dont want it to suck.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2008, 06:14:34 pm by Conceit »

Offline im9today

• xtrwsqgcxct
    • View Profile

Re: DUMP / Digging out a look

Reply #1 on: July 25, 2008, 06:24:37 am
well I think your latest stuff is just amazing ::)  please keep working

that's all  :-[

Offline Oltar

• View Profile
    • Akira V.3.0

Reply #2 on: July 25, 2008, 10:51:33 am
I love the red blood animated, cool blood anime stile.
My english sucks.

Offline Ryumaru

• to be animated soonly
    • ChrisPariano
    • View Profile

Reply #3 on: July 26, 2008, 01:37:13 am
After reading all that I have absolutely no idea what you want us to comment on?
Of course you've got a style " bubbling" under all this, nearly all your work could fit together because you've obviously had the same goal with the art you do, even if some come closer to it than others.
That "self portrait" is definitely my favorite piece of yours.

Offline TrevoriuS

• Pixels... everywhere!!
    • View Profile

Reply #4 on: July 26, 2008, 09:57:45 am
What you are aiming on is the suggestion of detail right? Good method to test your ability in this: draw trees ;)

Offline Ryona

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: July 26, 2008, 10:36:54 am
Whoa, that dagger hilt really looked like something else when he first pulled it out. lol

Anyway, I really like the moodiness of the background with the moon. And I find the blood, magic circle, and fire extremely well done!

I think your swordsman sprite is missing the actual slashing in the slash animation.

All around, very impressive stuff, Conciet.

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #6 on: July 26, 2008, 10:35:10 pm
I think you need to work on your fundamentals: human forms, simpler shapes in various lighting conditions. Your mind is further away than your hands and the distance is making your art look uncomfortable. Your concepts are only as worthwhile as your ability to captivate the viewer with sheer skill and make him ponder them while struck with that sort of fascination. While your animation work does this (due to fluidity and well.. anima) your actual drawing of bigger, more defined things than 'game sprites' shows your current limitations. Draw faces, bodies, objects, break them down to simpler geometric forms, etc etc you've heard it all when I've said it to others, I can only say it to you too (I say it to myself as well, naturally, as I have similar problems).

Offline Conzeit

• Camus
    • conzeit
    • View Profile
    • CONZEIT

Reply #7 on: July 26, 2008, 10:53:03 pm
Thanks for all of your oppinions guys, please keep it coming.

Ryona: YEP that was the point of that hilt, it was a splash screen for a short I worked on in college that was about a horny old lady's imaginations about a neighbor with a knife...so thats why you see what you see :p.
You are right about that slash, that was for a homebrew that never got made so I never put the slash in there.

Trevorious: thanks for the suggestion....I have never really pixeled trees and I think that could be pretty interesting.

Helm: Thanks dude, I guess it's what it boils down to...maybe I'm just dancing around that too much.

Ryu: To be honest I'm not really sure what I want you guys to comment on etiher. That's why I  made the topic I'm trying to figure out where I'm headed and what I should be doing. Thank you for what you did comment on, I'm glad that I'm not the only one seeing that there was a single goal beneath all these pieces (this is not EVERYTHING I've done BTW, just what I thought was relevant at the moment)

I guess....I'm just asking you to C&C, but focus on my good and bad habits rather than each single piece here.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2008, 11:00:04 pm by Conceit »

Offline TrevoriuS

• Pixels... everywhere!!
    • View Profile

Reply #8 on: July 27, 2008, 08:29:43 am
Conceit: Make sure to do not pixel it as a sprite, but from a free angle of realistic perspective then. I find drawing it with pencil a good practice as well, though that turns out alot more time consuming, and harder tp fox when it goes wrong (which it will).

Offline Conzeit

• Camus
    • conzeit
    • View Profile
    • CONZEIT

Reply #9 on: July 27, 2008, 09:20:31 am
You are absolutley right...a few weekgs ago I went and did the excercise and I instantaneously realized that there was such an intricate web of things going on in this tree, no matter what aproach I took I didnt have the mental structure to depict it faithfully. if I wanted to depict the inner workings of the branches and taxonomy I'd have to make a flat cardboard tree, but if I wanted to depict the volumetrics of the foilage and their reflection of light I could not draw the inner structure of the branches.

quite the dillema aint it? Thanks for bringing this up to me, I had some buried knowledge of it but your stating it directly brings it up to my face and makes me realize my folly, thank you.