AuthorTopic: MASSIVE ALIEN PINCER INSECT BOSS [WIP]  (Read 11665 times)

Offline QuaziGNRLnose

• View Profile

MASSIVE ALIEN PINCER INSECT BOSS [WIP]

on: July 24, 2008, 09:31:22 pm
Well i started this originally on pixel joint but it died out and was getting too long, erm 2000+ views 91 comments. so anyways i decided to post it here, its is my first real pixel piece ever and ill post its many stages all at once, AND YES I KNOW IT STARTS OFF EXTREMELY SHITTY BUT PLZ LOOK AT ALL THE PICTURES the final ones are really nice

WAY TOO MANY COLOURS AND BAD PALLETE AT THAT

and my fav, it looks like C64 colours abit IMO but is still very WIP PLEASE C&C its what i need most

Originally posted by Jeff

I AM A GIANT DONUT MANATEE

Offline EvilEye

• Game Developer Extroaordinaire
    • View Profile

Re: MASSIVE ALIEN PINCER INSECT BOSS [WIP]

Reply #1 on: July 25, 2008, 12:11:08 am
I don't even want to know how long it took you to dither all that.

From the progression pictures it looks like you practically 3d / rendered it by hand.

The last one is colored well, but the shape is uneven, you need to straighten it out.

Offline Dusty

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: July 25, 2008, 02:05:36 am
Ya, the form is very distracting, it doesn't look like the face is symmetrical.

Also, I think this is way too big, maybe try it at half the size? Otherwise you have a lot of empty space to fill.

Offline QuaziGNRLnose

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: July 25, 2008, 12:16:26 pm
I don't even want to know how long it took you to dither all that.

From the progression pictures it looks like you practically 3d / rendered it by hand.

The last one is colored well, but the shape is uneven, you need to straighten it out.

well it could use some fixing after all thats why its here, but would you like to maybe point out exactly what, because after dithering soo much your mind kinda thinks in checkered pattern aswell lol
and ya the 3d blocks part was my solution to fixing that horrid piece i started with

Offline QuaziGNRLnose

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: July 25, 2008, 12:19:29 pm
Ya, the form is very distracting, it doesn't look like the face is symmetrical.

Also, I think this is way too big, maybe try it at half the size? Otherwise you have a lot of empty space to fill.

well although i regret its size a little,its too late to fix that now after 3 hours+ of work. anyways it needs to be that big for a little game project im working on. i know its quite massive but i guess its good practice because all i ever tried b4 this was very small sprites for small games, and those sucked
anyways like in the coment b4 you could u try to tell me what exactly needs fixing?

Offline QuaziGNRLnose

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: July 25, 2008, 12:21:35 pm
oh yes i forgot to show this, its a little bit messed up but it shows the form a little better (some lines are completeley wrong tho)

Offline QuaziGNRLnose

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: July 25, 2008, 07:43:50 pm
this is supposed to be at a slight angle so it gets confusing when ur tracing the lines. but also u must remember that this is A large image, very dithered and it gets VERY confusind to shade it, because of its hyper complex/irregular curves and shape. also note that its large so making an error in the shading is very unforgiving and is amplified by its size. this uses about 16-18 colours i think and well its very difficult to get the look i want when i have barely anything to help hide mistakes, right now im (trying 0_0) to shade the mandibles but im getting way too confused on how the light is supposed to bounce of them. they are  a strange shape at a strange angle and calculating the light is very hard for a 13 year old like me to process. im not too sure how i  want them to look texture wise but im sorta leaning toward a very shiny dark brown/pigiron feel. im open to suggestions on how to achieve my goal thank you.

Offline TrevoriuS

• Pixels... everywhere!!
    • View Profile

Reply #7 on: July 25, 2008, 08:29:46 pm
As is said, do this on a way waaay smaller scale. My I suggest 200x200 for starters?

Offline QuaziGNRLnose

• View Profile

Reply #8 on: July 25, 2008, 10:02:35 pm
i just feel ive come to far to scrap it now, and IT NEEDS to be this size

Offline TrevoriuS

• Pixels... everywhere!!
    • View Profile

Reply #9 on: July 25, 2008, 10:17:30 pm
1. What gives it this need?
2. Are you certain this should be pixelart then? In pixelart you pay attention to every single pixel, there's too many now.