AuthorTopic: Attack in 3 frames! HELP  (Read 8725 times)

Offline Bhalzak

• View Profile

Attack in 3 frames! HELP

on: July 22, 2008, 07:16:33 am
Hi,i actually must work on a game,and i need a attack in 3 frames.. this is my result.. but i don't satisfied
anyone can help me? this is my first animation...

1) the 3 frames.

2) the result.

thx >-<

Offline TrevoriuS

• Pixels... everywhere!!
    • View Profile

Re: Attack in 3 frames! HELP

Reply #1 on: July 22, 2008, 11:44:44 am
Take a stick, knife or whatever that's nearby, and hit the wall with it. See you move more than your arm? See your arm starts bent, and stretches out towards the end, see your torso rotates to increase power or range, see your stance is much, much more stable than what is shown in your sprite now. Shortly said: study movement before you draw it, never guess in CG, it won't look right.

Other than that, play the idle frame -> then the attack frames 1,2,3,2,2 (yes repeat, pull back is slower than attack, as you attack with full force),and then the idle frame again. Having 3 frames, doesn't mean displaying just these 3 frames. Code is cheaper than pixels, so if you have 4 frames because of a memory limitation, solve it with code. If you have 3 frames for no reason, use more and increase image speed.

Offline tocky

• doublepostokrates
    • View Profile
    • my blog

Reply #2 on: July 22, 2008, 01:38:02 pm
Type 'slash' in the search bar up top to see a bunch of different takes on sword slashes. This is currently too basic, it's hard to advise where to go from here.

Offline Bhalzak

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: July 22, 2008, 09:09:08 pm
Take a stick, knife or whatever that's nearby, and hit the wall with it. See you move more than your arm? See your arm starts bent, and stretches out towards the end, see your torso rotates to increase power or range, see your stance is much, much more stable than what is shown in your sprite now. Shortly said: study movement before you draw it, never guess in CG, it won't look right.

Other than that, play the idle frame -> then the attack frames 1,2,3,2,2 (yes repeat, pull back is slower than attack, as you attack with full force),and then the idle frame again. Having 3 frames, doesn't mean displaying just these 3 frames. Code is cheaper than pixels, so if you have 4 frames because of a memory limitation, solve it with code. If you have 3 frames for no reason, use more and increase image speed.

mh.. understand.. but i have the limit in this animation i must work on a max 32x28 and only 3 frames.. >-<
i try but i'm very noob xD

NEW:

Better or no? ._.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2008, 07:41:56 am by Bhalzak »

Offline kitty

• LAUGH! :]
    • View Profile

Reply #4 on: July 23, 2008, 08:10:47 am
No :[

It feels like it's blinking. There's no motion being shown.
Can you only have 3 unique frames or 3 frames total? A middle frame would help out a lot!
never pretend to be drunker than you really are

Offline Bhalzak

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: July 23, 2008, 09:44:03 am
* cry * ç_ç

i can use only 3 frames..for animation..

Offline Opacus

• Entangled
    • View Profile
    • www.jimjansen.net

Reply #6 on: July 23, 2008, 10:22:57 am
Well, the low frame rate doesn't have to be that big a problem.
The main issue is the lack of motion. I'm sure you tried a swing at some weapon of sorts some time?
Or just a tennis racket even. If you want to hurt someone with a weapon you need to put weight in it, otherwise it won't hurt.
That's why it looks wrong. He doesn't put any weight in it. Try having him pull back his arm and his body first, then let
him lean forward when he slashes. Let him put his body weight to an advantage.
You currently only let the sword move, but the body moves aswell when swinging a weapon!

Offline Mike

• View Profile
    • Scribble onto the Abyss

Reply #7 on: July 23, 2008, 11:29:53 am
You need to show the full range of motion, right now all I see is this flickering thing going on.  The first example you showed has no follow through.  Do you have to put in a neutral frame at the end like that?  Also if it is going to be fast might I suggest the middle frame be a sword blur effect?  It should be anticipation, middle blur, and after.  You only have two which is why it flickers like mad.

This is the best I can do on short notice, with little anatomy and with only 3 frames.  Anyone else care to take a jab?

Offline Ryona

• View Profile

Reply #8 on: July 23, 2008, 11:57:17 am
I took a stab at it. ...or more like a slash. har har *dodges tomato*

I felt the overall sprite could be improved. Not just the attack.
I gave your little guy stronger character with a more interesting appearance and I made the tones more contrasty and vibrant.
The idle sprites I made to the left, one of them has a shoulder-strap which I think would be good to add because it shows that he carries a weapon on his back, and it also adds to the overall character.
The three sprites I made on the right are the attacking sprites.

Offline ter-o

• Elitist scum
    • View Profile

Reply #9 on: July 23, 2008, 11:59:10 am
Here's my edit to the Mike's edit :D I changed the stance in the 2nd frame a bit and then timed the frames to hint the motions involved.

« Last Edit: July 23, 2008, 12:00:44 pm by ter-o »
I don't know everything, I just know everything else.
Try not. Do, or do not. There is no try. -Master Yoda

Offline TrevoriuS

• Pixels... everywhere!!
    • View Profile

Reply #10 on: July 23, 2008, 12:02:57 pm
Eyebrows do not suddenly appear or get thicker when you smash someone with a sword. They may only change position. In addition to that, Ryona, give your guy a more neutral pose, and let him hold a sword also in his idle stance. On the overall it's a big improvement, it's just that the torso pose is messed up on the idle state.

Offline Ryona

• View Profile

Reply #11 on: July 23, 2008, 12:17:22 pm
Uh.. I'm not the one who started this thread, TrevoriuS. lol
Just wanted to help Bhalzak.

And why must he be in a neutral pose? I don't recall Bhalzak saying the character must be in a neutral pose.
Also, I don't recall Bhalzak saying that the character must carry a sword at all times. Maybe Bhalzak might want the character's hands free to interact with random objects in the game.

And I can't really see what's messed up in the idle stance I made, but oh well, this thread isn't about me anyway.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2008, 12:20:50 pm by Ryona »

Offline Opacus

• Entangled
    • View Profile
    • www.jimjansen.net

Reply #12 on: July 23, 2008, 12:24:06 pm
Uh.. I'm not the one who started this thread, TrevoriuS. lol
Just wanted to help Bhalzak.

And why must he be in a neutral pose? I don't recall Bhalzak saying the character must be in a neutral pose.
Also, I don't recall Bhalzak saying that the character must carry a sword at all times. Maybe Bhalzak might want the character's hands free to interact with random objects in the game.

And I can't really see what's messed up in the idle stance I made, but oh well, this thread isn't about me anyway.

He was talking about Ter-o's new edit. You probably missed it :D.
(The dodges tomato part in your edit post made me lol.)

Offline Bhalzak

• View Profile

Reply #13 on: July 23, 2008, 01:11:52 pm
everything, thanks to all for the help that you are giving me.
i have put really badly unfortunately, however I always try to hock me.
The sprite is only an example, only to understand the mechanism that I then will use for all the other images, therefore not worried you about its beauty
>-<

Offline Opacus

• Entangled
    • View Profile
    • www.jimjansen.net

Reply #14 on: July 23, 2008, 01:40:04 pm
Are you saying you don't care how it looks? Then why post it here and have people waste time on giving critique?
Sorry if I misunderstood since it seems English is not your native language.

Offline Bhalzak

• View Profile

Reply #15 on: July 23, 2008, 02:04:26 pm
yah,i came from italy

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile

Reply #16 on: July 24, 2008, 05:08:35 pm
if you only have a few frames, try to make the most of them.  change the character completely to give motion.

bad example, done in a few minutes and messed up the scale but it shows what i mean with the motion/different positions :

A mistake is a mistake.
The same mistake twice is a bad habit.
The same mistake three or more times is a motif.

Offline Mike

• View Profile
    • Scribble onto the Abyss

Reply #17 on: July 25, 2008, 01:40:52 am
I took a stab at it. ...or more like a slash. har har *dodges tomato*

I felt the overall sprite could be improved. Not just the attack.
I gave your little guy stronger character with a more interesting appearance and I made the tones more contrasty and vibrant.
The idle sprites I made to the left, one of them has a shoulder-strap which I think would be good to add because it shows that he carries a weapon on his back, and it also adds to the overall character.
The three sprites I made on the right are the attacking sprites.

While I think your animation and character are great and nicely animated I feel that Bhalzak should keep his character in his style.  The character you drew is extremely well drawn and posed, but I feel that Bhalzak is probably not at your level unfortunately.  I do not think it is possible to ramp up ones art ability and style in this short of a time frame therefore it is a bit unrealistic.  For Bhalzak I believe he should focus on making as much motion as he can if he only has 3 frames to work with.

Offline Bhalzak

• View Profile

Reply #18 on: July 25, 2008, 07:18:37 am
While I think your animation and character are great and nicely animated I feel that Bhalzak should keep his character in his style.  The character you drew is extremely well drawn and posed, but I feel that Bhalzak is probably not at your level unfortunately.  I do not think it is possible to ramp up ones art ability and style in this short of a time frame therefore it is a bit unrealistic.  For Bhalzak I believe he should focus on making as much motion as he can if he only has 3 frames to work with.

Yeah,u have understand,i must use that style because i use a tool for made game (with her limitation)

mhm i have made a new animation ><

-> NEW EDIT:

Stance + 3 frames atk

« Last Edit: July 25, 2008, 07:32:10 am by Bhalzak »

Offline Corsair

• some assembly required
    • View Profile

Reply #19 on: July 25, 2008, 06:24:12 pm
That's better but it still needs some work.

no matter what you're going t have to move the body more to make it more believable. and it helps to go *across* the body, rather than paralell to it. swing an object. the natural motion isn't to go stright down with it, is it?

the animation should reflect this.

Offline TrevoriuS

• Pixels... everywhere!!
    • View Profile

Reply #20 on: July 25, 2008, 09:45:04 pm
Your main issue seems to be... patience. The time you took to make these animations, you could've taken to lay the basis for a dynamic animation. I'll show you a bit of how I work myself (can't claim to be a pro at animating though who knows it helps ;))

(Direct link)
So let me explain this a bit:
-I first modified your sprite roughly, added a tad more anti alias, simple stuff like that. Then I took it's structure, as a simple figure. I took the figure apart, to continue with that.
-So with something as simple as this figure, we can draw completely different poses, here I did that over the original with some different colours at first. It is the basis of the three frames already.
-On the third row I finalized the figure. Note that dark means behind something. So after that I added the weapon, and some motion path for it's tip, which can be included in the animation in a smoother way.
-So in this last row we see something wrong, no? Exactly, and this is where patience begins. It takes alot of time to transform the outline back into it's figurine correctly, and may need loads of comments and multiple attempts to turn out perfect, or at least as correct as you can get with your current skill (improving some along the way of course). Then you can fill it up with your basic shades again, and start reusing stuff from the original. The head can be duplicated and placed in the animation, with only a slight rotation possibly if it fits in better. So really, the part of animating is studying form and movement (your own body is a very, very good tool in doing that), and taking the time and patience to represent that form correctly in basic shapes, and in the final outline.