AuthorTopic: RPG mockup  (Read 11594 times)

Offline .TakaM

• View Profile
    • Fetch Quest

Re: RPG mockup

Reply #20 on: July 23, 2008, 03:59:15 pm
The purple is there because it looks more vibrant than black.  This technique is done in actual paintings as well.  I think it all looks great and the style is fantastic.  If I were you I would take critique on actual technical issues and take no critique on style changes.
I really don't think the vibrancy of the purple is its' reason to exist, black can be just as vibrant, and if the purple were made any more vibrant, would it become more 'successful'?

It's on the trunk too, the idea is that light is being bounced off the ground and is lighting the underside of the tree a bit.
And I'm guessing the only way to explain it is that the tree is casting a slightly purple shadow, and light is being bounced off that shadow

The invaluable reference that's been posted a million times before:
http://www.itchstudios.com/psg/art_tut.htm

and the cliffs look good so far, they're just lacking depth
at the moment they look like a texture wrapped on some flat walls
Life without knowledge is death in disguise

Offline TrevoriuS

• Pixels... everywhere!!
    • View Profile

Reply #21 on: July 23, 2008, 06:22:09 pm

Offline Sohei

• View Profile

Reply #22 on: July 24, 2008, 12:45:34 am
Imperial guard

Peasant

Peasant's wife

Child

Another tree atempt

I use purple on trees because I think it will look worse if it were just darkgreen or black. I can't use contrast shadows, because they ruin the whole picture. This is my reasoning.

smiker
>this style  reminds me rpg maker xp tilesets a lot, did you referenced on them?
No. I looked into it only after your mention. Thanks, now I see clearly the list of objects necessary for a good game.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2008, 06:18:19 pm by Sohei »

Offline Azgardes

• Personal text goes here
    • View Profile

Reply #23 on: July 24, 2008, 02:55:01 am
The imperial guard is too still, like someone shoved a stick up his arse.

The newer tree looks awesome, except the purple I find is still a little awkward.

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile

Reply #24 on: July 24, 2008, 06:47:09 am
there are too many reasons to choose colors, so i won't try and list them, but there's only two major reasons it's distracting:

1 - lack of global integration.  If every shadow had purple in it, we wouldn't have this issue.

2 - lack of local integration - green does not readily transition into purple, and you've left it to the last minute in one corner of the tree.  If the entire tree slowly blended to purple in every shadow, we wouldn't have this issue.
A mistake is a mistake.
The same mistake twice is a bad habit.
The same mistake three or more times is a motif.