AuthorTopic: RPG mockup  (Read 11587 times)

Offline Sohei

• View Profile

Re: RPG mockup

Reply #10 on: July 19, 2008, 10:09:31 pm

Offline VictorR

• Let's fighting love..
    • View Profile

Reply #11 on: July 20, 2008, 01:07:02 am
I just wanna say, keep going. Im not a huge fan of 2D games and probably never will be but your style and the way you make everything look so smooth is just amazing. I would actually play this game to be honest just by the looks of it. The grass tiles look like little bushes, not sure if thats how its supposed to look. The plants could use some shadow, look like their just hovering. The water could use some higher highlights to bring out the sun reflection. Other than that, it's great.

Offline Elk

• Choice Architect & Nudger
    • elkdarkshire
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/4683.htm
    • darkshire
    • darkshire.elk
    • View Profile

Reply #12 on: July 20, 2008, 09:11:41 pm
I absolutely love the water!
And the palms are good aswell!
Open for business
elkdarkshire@gmail.com
Elk#2299

Offline CaKsTeR

• View Profile

Reply #13 on: July 20, 2008, 09:28:40 pm
I like the water as well, the only thing I can mention is that you should make more variation in trees. Good job.

Offline .TakaM

• View Profile
    • Fetch Quest

Reply #14 on: July 22, 2008, 11:32:45 am
Well, I'm honoured  :P

I get the impression in some situations you made things different than how you'd prefer in order to avoid further similarities with my tiles
Don't let me get into your head, just make whatever however you want it to look.

What I'd recommend is to move straight onto some objects and tiles I didn't make, it will help you define your own style
You seem to be doing that now with the palm trees, so keep it up.

This is about the fifth time I've rewritten this part of this post, I've been trying to offer some criticism and advice on your tiles but I keep ending up talking about how and what I did with my tiles  :blind:
so, I'll just keep my picks simple:
The purple on the tree, you need to either tone it down, put more purple throughout the tree, or lose it altogether- At the moment it just isn't making sense, where's that vibrant purple light bouncing from? Also, I think you could lose the black outlines you have in some parts.
I really like the dithered effect you have on the grass and I think you should carry that into the stone dirt.
your transition tiles from grass to dirt tile pretty obviously, you're probably already working on it.

And think about if you really want to stick to 32x32 tiles.
I find them too limiting when it comes to level design and restricts a lot of the creativity you can put into small details.

I look forward to seeing more :)
Life without knowledge is death in disguise

Offline Sohei

• View Profile

Reply #15 on: July 22, 2008, 12:14:36 pm
.TakaM
I really try to avoid similarities, but I just cant leave alone this whitesand-lightgreengrass color scheme. It's a marvelous invention.

I've been experimenting with cliffs

Offline KAT

• View Profile

Reply #16 on: July 23, 2008, 08:45:28 am
I like this project. Palette and style are amazing but I think you could make new one or maybe two trees because one gender of trees are little boring.

Offline smiker

• http://youtube.com/watch?v=cbaRMjlLWng
    • View Profile
    • Smiker's Portal (WIP)

Reply #17 on: July 23, 2008, 08:47:37 am
this style  reminds me rpg maker xp tilesets a lot, did you referenced on them?
keep up the good work.

Offline Mike

• View Profile
    • Scribble onto the Abyss

Reply #18 on: July 23, 2008, 11:58:31 am
The purple is there because it looks more vibrant than black.  This technique is done in actual paintings as well.  I think it all looks great and the style is fantastic.  If I were you I would take critique on actual technical issues and take no critique on style changes.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2008, 12:00:03 pm by Mike »

Offline TrevoriuS

• Pixels... everywhere!!
    • View Profile

Reply #19 on: July 23, 2008, 12:04:45 pm
The purple is there because it looks more vibrant than black.  This technique is done in actual paintings as well.
If it's done, it's done on the overall, and often less saturated than this. It should spread slightly purple or blue in all shadows, this tree has some too bright spots which are purple, and some too dark spots on the other areas that aren't.