AuthorTopic: [Wip] Little House  (Read 2862 times)

Offline kitty

• LAUGH! :]
    • View Profile

[Wip] Little House

on: July 09, 2008, 03:43:09 am
I dun know just a little house.

Inspired from the cute house on My Neighbor Totoro.  C+C.

« Last Edit: July 09, 2008, 04:06:32 am by kitty »
never pretend to be drunker than you really are

Offline huZba

• MekaSkull
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/19396.htm
    • huzba
    • View Profile

Re: [Wip] Little House

Reply #1 on: July 10, 2008, 02:46:27 pm
The color of the roof is making really evil buzzing with the green. Then there's mixed info about the direction of the light. Shadows say upper right lightsource, shading says upper left. The window panels aren't visible enough and i can't tell what the grid is on the wall. Think about the details and try and pick up features that compliment them and push back things that work against you. It's as if the elements of the picture are people trying to tell you a story. If every element tells the same thing it's easy to read, if they give mixed info it becomes hard to look at. There's a lot more to it of course...

This is a good piece to practice with so keep working on it.

Offline kitty

• LAUGH! :]
    • View Profile

Reply #2 on: July 10, 2008, 10:07:54 pm

I am completely embarrassed about the poor lighting :[

I think I will have to make this a tad bit bigger to show enough to be able to tell what the "grid" is.

I'll get to it soon.  Thank you for the reply! :]
never pretend to be drunker than you really are

Offline chimico

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: July 11, 2008, 11:06:43 am
i spent some time trying to understand why the roof shape looked that strange to me.

i thought that from a side angle it would look like (1), but that's a really particular shape, nice but not easily readable imho... and i also thought that making that like (2) could fix the problem but would distort your concept. then, searching for totoro's house i found that its shape is quite like (3). i know your house isn't supposed to be totoro's house, and admit fixing it in any other way is too difficult for me, but i wanted to show you what i'd do if i were you. sorry for the crappy edit, but i tried XD
i agree with huzba and also suggest to remove one of the 2 highlights (yellow and pale green) because 1 of them is useless: by now they seem to be just 1 color, they're too similar... you may also increase the contrast between them.

by the way, it's honestly nice, and with some little changes in the palette it would turn out pretty cute for me.