AuthorTopic: Flat shading and dithering can co-exist peacfully  (Read 4298 times)

Offline Skipper

• I am...
    • View Profile

Flat shading and dithering can co-exist peacfully

on: December 14, 2005, 03:05:05 am

Present for david.  Where we're going, we don't need lightsources.

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Re: Flat shading and dithering can co-exist peacfully

Reply #1 on: December 14, 2005, 03:09:02 am
Well of course they can, but nothing is easy. Dithering suggests texture, and if overused it can damage surfaces that need to feel 'smooth'. Or it can be used all over in a pic if you have enough colours and it stops suggesting texture, but rather starts to feel like a pointilistic (pixelistic? heh) biproduct. Here, it's minimal and doesn't hurt anything.

The right forearm is overworked.

Offline Peppermint Pig

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: December 19, 2005, 10:26:22 am
I back up Helm completely here. Also, while flat shading tends to suggest a smooth surface, a consistent and detailed dither can also suggest fur, which can be percieved as a kind of soft texture, which is somewhat analagous to smoothness, which can be a property of flat shaded objects. Perhaps this is more true with flat shaded color work that is more matte than shiny or chromy. As to the trueness of the statement about smooth and dither elements working together, it tends to look better when dithering colors that are not too high in contrast are used. Artistically, anything goes, though I appreciate a good harmony in linework to subject matter, and consistency in the formula of a work. Anyhow, on with the review...

I wish the ribs were shaded a bit more... and need detail on the forehead... altogether it's very promising. Color ramp is a bit bright in the green, but that's mostly because of the broadly undetailed areas present in the work. Nice eyes and use of that purply blue tone. Blocky style on the tip of the nose is nice. Would you consider creating 2x dither checker on the work? As of now, you are making the use of dither as a style choice apparent in some areas (eyebrows, sides of nose), but not as much in others (arms, armpits).

Offline Skipper

• I am...
    • View Profile

Reply #3 on: December 19, 2005, 04:50:33 pm
Oh my, I'm learning quite a bit here!  Thanks for all of this information, it's good to hear all the technical explanations, I really get a nice grip on things that way.  Not entirely sure what you mean when you say "2x dither checker work", Pep, but I'd be interested in finding out.  Right now I'm working on my secret santa project and I am going dither-crazy all of a sudden.  So we'll see how I do with a completely dithered piece.

Offline lief

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: December 20, 2005, 06:46:29 am
I take "2x dither checker work" to mean a 50% dither pattern (chess-board style) but using 2 pixel x 2 pixel squares instead of single pixels to emphasize the dithering as a stylistic element.

Offline Skipper

• I am...
    • View Profile

Reply #5 on: December 20, 2005, 05:00:10 pm
I take "2x dither checker work" to mean a 50% dither pattern (chess-board style) but using 2 pixel x 2 pixel squares instead of single pixels to emphasize the dithering as a stylistic element.

Ohhh okay.  Interesting...