AuthorTopic: Megaman 9 with 8-bit graphics  (Read 30004 times)

Offline ptoing

• variegated quadrangle arranger
    • the_ptoing
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/2191.htm
    • View Profile
    • Perpetually inactive website

Re: Megaman 9 with 8-bit graphics

Reply #60 on: August 06, 2008, 09:06:47 pm
The face is an 8x8, sprites do not have to be on a grid.
There are no ugly colours, only ugly combinations of colours.

Offline Dusty

• View Profile

Reply #61 on: August 06, 2008, 09:16:28 pm
my only real fear - and it might not be the popular fear on this board - will the GAME be as good as the old ones?  AND - in an age where everyone has emulators and other stuff that already lets them play the old ones for free - what is this game doing to make it worth buying?

I honestly think it's going to end up as collector's item because after the first few thousand people will realize that it's nothing that they didn't have before, and that it was made with half the love.

why make a megaman with graphics that are kinda like the old game, only not made by people who specialize in that style?  why make a game that plays the same when you could toss in, i dunno, a little innovation in the same spirit?  battlenetwork and other recent megaman games sucking has nothing to do with the technology or the visuals and everything to do with the fact that they've lost sight of the goals, and making a faux-retro title won't bring them any closer to the original spirit than they already aren't.

btw - answer is probably obvious to people with more knowledge of the methods - but how does megaman's sprite have 6 colors?  I can't draw boxes around him in any way to get perfect 8x8 4-color pieces?

EDIT - i do realize that this game is being made not to revitalize the series but to dupe a nostalgic audience, so the questions about why make this are a bit more rhetorical than anything else :p.
Isn't this a Wiiware game? So it will probably be very cheap(1000 points). I don't think any business should take emulators and such into consideration, since it's really not legal. Also, I don't think this will be able to be emulated if it's wiiware, so they'll have to pay for it to play it.

Offline chriskot

• View Profile

Reply #62 on: August 06, 2008, 09:18:23 pm
But that's the thing now. Do you think anyone would be even one iota less excited for this game if it looked like Megaman 6 or better? Or would they be more excited? Buuuut... which is the easier one to make, and which will generate more instant nostalgia sales?

Point taken, and I definitely agree. I guess the only other point that can be made is that graphics always get better later in the cycle, so maybe the team figured that the simpler it looks, the more retro it feels? That seems like a pretty crappy excuse though.

my only real fear - and it might not be the popular fear on this board - will the GAME be as good as the old ones?  AND - in an age where everyone has emulators and other stuff that already lets them play the old ones for free - what is this game doing to make it worth buying?

I honestly think it's going to end up as collector's item because after the first few thousand people will realize that it's nothing that they didn't have before, and that it was made with half the love.
I'm pretty sure that it will be as good as the old ones. The Megaman formula doesn't seem to be something that you can mess up too much, especially if you're trying to keep it as close to the original as possible. Even so, this will probably end up as a collector's item simply because a retro-styled game like this doesn't seem like something with the mass appeal of some other titles.

Offline Conzeit

• Camus
    • conzeit
    • View Profile
    • CONZEIT

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile

Reply #64 on: August 06, 2008, 09:53:32 pm
i like that the demo players make sure to get shot all the time.

And i didn't mean that we'd use an emulator for megaman 9, or that it was legal, i just meant that half the world has a working copy of megaman 2 already.  What does this game bring to the table that isn't there already?

graphics always get better later in the cycle

final fantasy II :P
A mistake is a mistake.
The same mistake twice is a bad habit.
The same mistake three or more times is a motif.

Offline Dusty

• View Profile

Reply #65 on: August 06, 2008, 09:58:09 pm
Heh, the same thing that 3-6 did? Just a little different, but still new.

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile

Reply #66 on: August 06, 2008, 10:20:58 pm
Heh, the same thing that 3-6 did? Just a little different, but still new.

megaman 3 had rush :P.
A mistake is a mistake.
The same mistake twice is a bad habit.
The same mistake three or more times is a motif.

Offline Conzeit

• Camus
    • conzeit
    • View Profile
    • CONZEIT

Reply #67 on: August 07, 2008, 05:36:20 am
EDIT: post PTOING edit for clarity!

Actual Megaman9 stages, at E3
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vuz-8_apUy8 Full PlugMan
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aIoUdJreVnY Full ConcreteMan

Megaman4 hacked to have Megaman9 Stages
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NJK6b9DO2Uc&feature=user full PlugMan,partial ConcreteMan

Hahahahah. Someone is making a megaman4 hack that already has one full megaman level! I guess it goes to show how much new art is in megaman 9 O_o
« Last Edit: August 16, 2008, 03:10:26 am by Conceit »

Offline LoTekK

• View Profile
    • LoTekK.com

Reply #68 on: August 07, 2008, 06:06:33 am
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NJK6b9DO2Uc&feature=user

Hahahahah. Someone is making a megaman4 hack that already has one full megaman level! I guess it goes to show how much new art is in megaman 9 O_o

Wow, that's... special. So when Takeshita says Inafune wanted the art redone to a simpler look, he really meant they wanted to reuse the old tilesets? I was already leery of this when it was first announced. This, though, is just insulting. o_O

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #69 on: August 07, 2008, 06:54:00 am
That is quite awful yes.