AuthorTopic: [WIP] Alice and Mario  (Read 4025 times)

Offline h4x0r

• View Profile

[WIP] Alice and Mario

on: June 25, 2008, 08:17:21 am

So I was really bored, and started making these.  I was going to make an Alice in Wonderland game, but I kinda stopped when I was making the flower guys.  I made the Mario flower out of a flower I made for Alice in Wonderland.  Then I couldn't stop making Mario stuff...  So...yea...  I'm having trouble animating the Goomba.  I was thinking, a Goomba wouldn't just walk side to side if Mario was near him, he'd chase after him.  So I was trying to make him run like he was unbalanced because of his huge head.  The Mario animation doesn't look so great for some reason on here.  But when I use it against a dark background and have him actually move from left to right, it looks good.  So anywho, just figured I'd dump these on ya'll, C&C is very welcome, especially on any animation tips!!!
« Last Edit: June 26, 2008, 03:14:46 am by h4x0r »

Offline PypeBros

• Pixel Padawan
    • PypeBros
    • View Profile
    • Bilou Homebrew's Blog.

Re: [WIP] Alice and Mario

Reply #1 on: June 26, 2008, 07:58:50 am
maybe you should avoid to have mario move forward as he bounces: that captures our eye and we cannot track arms movement, giving the feeling that we see a 2-frames anim while there are four of them. Maybe doing a real 4-frame anim with e.g. the cap would help to break the current symmetry between frame 2 and 4 (unsure)

Offline AdamAtomic

• natural born medic
    • View Profile
    • Adam Atomic

Reply #2 on: June 26, 2008, 02:02:47 pm
If he's gonna be on a dark background, I'd drop the outline, and use those extra pixels to define him more!  Also, I agree, if that is 4 frames of animation it definitely looks like 2!

Offline h4x0r

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: June 27, 2008, 02:27:42 am
@PypeBros  I know what you mean with the run animation, I have been having trouble with it.  I'm not that great of an animator...yet.  I do like the sound of doing something with the cap, what exactly did you have in mind?

@AdamAtomic  Its going to be on a dark background, but not that dark.  I was going to outline everything, kinda the style I guess.  I am not ready for the no outline style masta!
« Last Edit: June 27, 2008, 02:30:35 am by h4x0r »

Offline PypeBros

• Pixel Padawan
    • PypeBros
    • View Profile
    • Bilou Homebrew's Blog.

Reply #4 on: June 27, 2008, 08:35:42 am
@PypeBros  I know what you mean with the run animation, I have been having trouble with it.  I'm not that great of an animator...yet.  I do like the sound of doing something with the cap, what exactly did you have in mind?
Something like Ben2theHedge's running girl's hat :

(seen in this thread). If you make it bounce once on the 4-frame, it will definitely differentiate frame 2 from frame 3 and frame 1 from frame 4.

Btw, the advice on replacing black outline could be a good approach too.

Offline Sherman Gill

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: June 27, 2008, 04:20:46 pm
Something like Ben2theHedge's running girl's hat :
That's just a girly boy, not a girl :P.
And I think Mario here is too small for a noticeable hat bounce.
Oh yes naked women are beautiful
But I like shrimps more haha ;)

Offline h4x0r

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: June 27, 2008, 11:45:38 pm
Wow you kinda took my words, I was about to post that I have been trying to make a hat bounce, but he is just too small to make it look good.