AuthorTopic: [WIP] Iso Bridge  (Read 3980 times)

Offline ortodoxx

• I Steal Colors
    • View Profile

[WIP] Iso Bridge

on: June 24, 2008, 08:34:57 pm
My second atempt.

There is a company called Playdo that does a game called Spineworld where i want to have my internship, thier game is fully isometrical so i need to work up a portfolio with things that somewhat resembles thier style.

First up is a Bridge

I will soon add a railing to the top wich means ill prollyhave to redo alot of stuff. but im doing this to get a feeling for the shading etc.

So, this is my finished product.

C&C Welcome  ;D
« Last Edit: June 29, 2008, 10:03:01 pm by ortodoxx »

Offline Atnas

• very daijōbs
    • paintbread
    • paintbread
    • View Profile

Re: [WIP] Iso Bridge

Reply #1 on: June 24, 2008, 08:56:57 pm
Holy shit man this is... So much better than your skull! And your gladiator was an improvement as well. :>

The shading is interesting... It's fuzzy. I don't know if that's a stylistic choice or not.

But the jaggies, oh god, the jaggies! The bottom railing, the arc, can be smoothed out by repixeling it.

Nice work so far.  :y:

Offline ortodoxx

• I Steal Colors
    • View Profile

Reply #2 on: June 24, 2008, 10:07:36 pm
Thanx Atnas that made my day  :lol:

The shading is intended that way. They use it in buckets of gallons in the game.

I have JAGGIES! :( now that i try to repixel it i get jaggiebabies or i totaly lose shape. Anyone got any tips and trixs or a huge nerf-bat to my head ?

Offline Kamirose

• View Profile
    • DeviantArt Gallery

Reply #3 on: June 24, 2008, 11:23:50 pm
Edited your jaggies, played with your palette, and showed some inconsistency with your shading:

Where is your lightsource?  Currently you've got every post's shadow going in two different directions, which is only possible if you have two lightsources.

Also, wood is not that orange :) I desaturated it a bit.

Now, if you're going to do the woodgrain on the posts, you should do it throughout for consistency.  Right now it looks like the only wood is the shadows of the posts.

'Kay, so my tip for the jaggies.

The top line is the basis for isometrics.  You get that, good.

The bottom one, where it alternates between 2 and 1 pixels, is an in-between type of line.  You'd want to avoid it in iso art, but when you're doing a curve you'll probably use it at some point.  That's what I did.  What was in yours was uneven spacing between the 1 pixels and the 2s, which made it look jagged.  (Not too good at explaining... try stacking mine on top of or next to yours and seeing exactly what I did)

But like Atnas said, immense improvement over the skull.

Offline ortodoxx

• I Steal Colors
    • View Profile

Reply #4 on: June 25, 2008, 12:01:06 am
Thank You Kamirose that helped with the jaggies.

Yes there are two lightsources as you mentioned, however on second thought thinking game related it will probably be standing outdoors with only the sun as a lightsource, so i will remove the lighter of the two shadows.

Offline ortodoxx

• I Steal Colors
    • View Profile

Reply #5 on: June 26, 2008, 12:01:20 pm
Small Update.

P.S rendering ropes is NO FUN!

Offline ortodoxx

• I Steal Colors
    • View Profile

Reply #6 on: June 29, 2008, 10:02:46 pm