AuthorTopic: Official Anatomy Thread  (Read 404008 times)

Offline Cure

• http://pixeljoint.com/p/2621.htm
    • facebook.com/logantannerart
    • View Profile

Re: Official Anatomy Thread

Reply #280 on: October 07, 2010, 04:52:52 am
been hittin' up open model night at the drawing studio, here are a few 30 min. sketches:

Offline Smash

• View Profile

Reply #281 on: January 06, 2011, 08:14:45 pm
Bump

Construccions. Im probably blind to the mistakes, didn't use any significant refs.. These are rendered already.

« Last Edit: January 06, 2011, 08:16:36 pm by Smash »

Offline Smash

• View Profile

Reply #282 on: January 09, 2011, 01:05:43 am
New one, to be shaded w/ colored pencils in a few moments, some critique would help now  :'(

« Last Edit: January 09, 2011, 01:09:09 am by Smash »

Offline miascugh

• Schnitzelfiend
    • View Profile

Reply #283 on: January 20, 2011, 08:14:26 am
Heya, for those of you who can make use of a german reference book, I thought I'd drop the somewhat poorly scanned but still handy Der nackte Mensch by Gottfried Bammes into my public folder. Feel free:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/18393415/Gottfried%20Bammes%20-%20Der%20Nackte%20Mensch.pdf

edit: uploaded another great reference work. not so much about anatomy, or the human anatomy anyway. all kinds of natural pattern work presented in a somewhat graphic fashion. no german skills required:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/18393415/Haeckel_Kunstformen%20der%20natur.zip
« Last Edit: February 01, 2011, 12:26:12 pm by miascugh »

Offline Mush

• View Profile
    • MushSauce

Reply #284 on: February 27, 2011, 01:49:40 am
[Thanks ptoing for the merge]

I want to get serious about art and so I've started a sketchbook to document my journey. Hopefully I will update this everyday.

I've decided to start with Loomis' books for anatomy studies.

Goals:

-Less strokes
-More confidence in strokes
-Work on stiffness
-More conscious of proportions

Critique is welcomed.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2011, 03:38:40 am by Mush »

Offline Stefano

• 10 different types of soup
    • View Profile
    • DeviantART profile

Reply #285 on: April 16, 2011, 01:10:35 am
Do you know Google Body? I've just discovered it today and found it to be extremely useful (and also extremely free).
http://bodybrowser.googlelabs.com/

I had to update my browser/video drivers in order to see it, though.

Offline pistachio

• Mostly lurking
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/125138.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #286 on: May 19, 2011, 12:56:40 am
Tiny... bump?

Did some Posemaniacs a few days ago. Was going to upload this, but decided to hold it until I recovered from exhaustion. I'm not sure if it goes here, but I suppose. 

I've always had problems remembering which muscle goes where, and I've always had to pretend by smothering every figure with random circles. Not a very effective way of masquerading if I may say so myself. Starting back at the beginning, with the basics. So far I think I learned a bit, but I still have a fairly long way to go. Maybe... Daily? I still want to leave room for my precious pixels.

Here's about a hundred 45 seconds gesture drawings, not necessarily in any order (but I think the oldest ones are in the middle?), drawn in MyPaint. This thing was so huge (or rather, the drawings so widely spaced) I had to resize it and piece it together like Tetris with the help of my trusty, probably now only partially functional, Print Screen key. Some drawings may be missing or repeated. Maybe I shouldn't have done this all at once...

Large pic is large.
Comments are appreciated.

@Mathias, does this mean I... automatically joined? ::)

Offline EyeCraft

• What are you scared of?
    • View Profile
    • Death By Dev

Reply #287 on: June 12, 2011, 03:11:08 pm
@pistachio: Really loving those sketches! I highly recommend doing daily sets of 30 second sketches.

@Mush: very nice! Try doing gesture sketches to fix stiffness. Gesture before structure.  :)

@Stefano: amazingly useful tool!!

Well I have been SLACK and not studied for a long time. Here are the beginnings of my penance:

EHHH nevermind the scratchy lines, I'm working on improving that  :)

Been really loving backs lately (kind of a weird thing to say??), so have done a couple of studies on that. Have learned a tonne just with these two drawings. Will probably make the second drawing a daily task until I really have it locked in my mind.

Enjoying anatomy quite a bit! Shall post more in the immediate future.

Long live the anatomy guild.  :yay:

Offline 0xDB

• Dennis inter-is.
    • dennisbusch_de
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/1287.htm
    • 0xdb
    • View Profile
    • 0xDB

Reply #288 on: June 16, 2011, 09:20:18 pm
I was going to post this to the creativity thread but as this one doesn't explicitly say "human" anatomy I figured it would go here.

Struggling to construct believable and functional anatomy for Panzerwurm:

link to video, as embedding does not seem to work here

results so far:

Offline EyeCraft

• What are you scared of?
    • View Profile
    • Death By Dev

Reply #289 on: June 17, 2011, 06:23:25 am
I was going to post this to the creativity thread but as this one doesn't explicitly say "human" anatomy I figured it would go here.

Oh yes, learning animal anatomy is EXTREMELY helpful.

Regarding the Panzerwurm, try to remember that mother nature is obsessed with efficiency. If the animal can get away with not having something, evolution will direct its resources to something else. Consider the roles of the following: the rib cage is a flexible shield around the organs, the plates a kind of inflexible extremely heavy armour, the spikes a repellent defense. Does the animal need all three? Think about how much bone that is, bone is kind of costly to grow. If you remove the most expensive and redundant element, the heavy plates, it seems much, much more realistic, in my mind.

A similar question could be asked of the legs; does it really need 6? Could it get away with 4? Dinosaurs got away with 4, even 2, despite their immense size.

I don't know if the bone structure of the fore-legs really fits their role. The animal is basically going to be walking around on them at all times; their role is as a structural support. The arrangement you have now is more for accomodating a lot of twisting, something more appropriate for manipulators like arms. Look at how much stronger the back leg is, how much better it serves its role as a support.

That's all I've got for that. Definitely check out some dinosaur stuff. :)

I've been doing a whole bunch of sketching, I'll share some;

Drawing from reference, about 15 minutes at it before I had to leave home and go to work  :yell:

Just some general practice with hands, from ref. I was kind of more focused on my line work than the anatomy though  :-[

Trying to recall all the back anatomy stuff without reference. Stuff in red are MISTAKES.  >:(

These are two half-hour classes I did from this website (really awesome site, do recommend!). Uber large images, so I'll just link them:

http://i188.photobucket.com/albums/z212/gastrop0d/sketches/00.jpg

http://i188.photobucket.com/albums/z212/gastrop0d/sketches/01.jpg

I've also been doing at least an A2 page of 30 second gesture drawings per day on traditional media. Really helping me with lines and speed. Still a loooong way to go, though.  :)