AuthorTopic: In the Works  (Read 3304 times)

Offline h4x0r

• View Profile

In the Works

on: June 23, 2008, 10:23:55 am
So way way back in the day I was on Pixelation...didn't know it was remade!

So I have some pieces I just did a few hours ago, not really much to say.  I was trying out a new shading style I saw on someone's works.  It looks alright I guess, the one guy (not the clown) was difficult because it was bigger, I'm use to small sprites.  The clown looks a lot better on a darker background.  I'm trying to come up with a character for a Alice in Wonderland game, except not her day dreams but my own.  I can't find a style for a platform game I like.  I've been looking at other people's works trying to find a style to steal, but I haven't found one I like yet...  I was thinking super skinny and long like the clown, or bigger and more wide like the one guy.  But I want to go smaller for sure.  Wolverine has a really good style for small sprites with his shooter game.  However that style is really for future stuff only, because the main character is robot...not a person...but robots have feelings too...right???  I was looking at some older GB sprites that are sorta like RPGMaker charsets, but they look kinda cheezy.  So I can't decide on a style, any suggestions are welcome!!!  I just noticed I put the purple on the one guy's color template, I copied the colors from the clown and forgot to take it out...my bad...

MODIFY:  Wow modify is a lot better than edit, sounds better anyways.  So your probably wondering, WHERES THAT MAN"S ARMS!!!  Well, I don't do arms until I do the whole sprite...and since I probably won't use him for the game he's probably stuck armless!
« Last Edit: June 23, 2008, 10:46:23 am by h4x0r »

Offline h4x0r

• View Profile

Re: In the Works

Reply #1 on: June 23, 2008, 09:32:37 pm
Just to clear things up, when I talk about stealing someone's style I don't mean ripping they're work.  Lets work with another example.  I want to make a cartoon, do I want to go anime style, or a style like Pucca (big head small body with no outlines)?  Maybe like Samurai Jack?  So when I see someone's style, I say wow, a white outline around my character would really look cool.  Or someone made this one pirate that was a chibi guy for one of they're games.  I was like I really like chibi characters now, I'm going to make my own!  Smaller though...because that guy's character was like 96x96...  Anyways, wanted to make sure ya'll knew I wasn't talking about ripping...

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #2 on: June 24, 2008, 05:56:59 am
I suggest you don't obsess about 'style' and start thinking about application. What is useful in communicating. Is it useful that the dude has no arms? If not, give him arms (and not give us excuses  :ouch: ). Sorry to say but this mentality about style this style that hurts the process of creating your art. Perhaps at an early stage when you first fall in love with art, I can understand cataloging which 'styles' as you understand them, rock. But if you want to get anywhere with (pixel or not) art, the mentality you need is about communication, not superficial style. Your little clown dude has a very vague pose, pretty simple anatomy (could work for it or against it) but foremost it doesn't tell me anything. About the character, about what he's doing. Do more art, with a bigger concept than 'let's try this style', perhaps, and then post that.

The bigger sprite is better, but it's still a collection of body parts without a function. Finish the art, perhaps try to animate it a bit. Challenges will show you the way to becoming better  ;D

Offline gamingjustin

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: June 25, 2008, 04:16:48 am
Helm gives good advice, and what he describes you will most likely learn on your own, h4x0r. (boring story time) ...During my early childhood (i'm bored already, myself) I would get tracing paper and outline all my favorite characters using the instruction manuals that came with games. Kirby, Mega Man, Zelda-- you name it I traced it. After every trace I'd use some tape and stick it to some crisp white paper-- man, I felt accomplished! Throughout grade school I'd be doodling in those styles I admired so much; my own Mega Man, my own characters. It was great and I never tired of it; going so far as copying not just characters but other artists' styles holistically throughout drawing/painting classes in high school (always asserting it was never my own style of course).

However, I guess after a while I was tired of copying. I had always been communicating what I wanted to through others' styles, which is fine. I think copying is part of learning. After years of doing that, though, I was ready to do my own thing and it turned out I wasn't a complete failure at drawing despite there being no reference to hold my hand. (end of boring story time)

So, all that to say. Copying and trying out different styles is (WARNING: simile approaching) a bit like training wheels on a bike. Honestly, I'd say keep doing what you're doing until you get bored-- next thing you know you're drawing on your own.  :o

Offline digitaldust

• shoopus maaaah woopus
    • View Profile
    • LOLFURRIES

Reply #4 on: June 25, 2008, 04:46:42 am

Fixed light source and tried to make the pose less vague.
"I am smart! I am smart! S-M-R-T -- I mean S-M-A-R-T!!"

Offline h4x0r

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: June 25, 2008, 08:26:28 am
@Helm  To tell you the truth I didn't plan out the pose really, just wanted to pixel something at the time.  However you are right, and I shall take your advice Sensei!

@gamingjustin  Wow, that story sounds like mine.  Although I am not all the way through it......yet.  Scary thing is I use to trace Megaman and Zelda.  I believe I know what I want, however I do not know how to display it the way I like it yet.  Until I find the way I like it,  guess I shall keep on trying new styles.  Thanks for the advice.

@digitaldust  I like the leg you have redone, however I think the eyes look better completely black.  But everything else looks a lot better!