AuthorTopic: My first Pixelart Ever!  (Read 7348 times)

Offline Kamirose

• View Profile
    • DeviantArt Gallery

Re: My first Pixelart Ever!

Reply #10 on: June 23, 2008, 06:35:46 pm
I just wanted to pop in and say, great job for a first pixel :D

Now, your use of colors is... well, not to be mean, but it's boring.

Using Atnas's edit:

Do you see how his color choices are more interesting and dynamic than yours?  That's because you don't change your hue much, just your saturation.  That is, you add and take away grays in the palette, but you don't change the actual color.  That makes it look, for lack of a better word, dirty.

This is what your color progression looks like in photoshop:

Look at the vertical slider on the right.  It hardly moves up and down.  That's what makes your colors look so boring.  Not to mention the fact that they're far too unsaturated (grey).

Now, for the edit's:

You see how much the colors are changing?  Watch the slider on the right.  Also, see how the actual color picker on the left goes in an arch from lightest to darkest?  That's what gives it a more interesting color.

And a little lesson, not everything needs to be outlined :) Especially in black.  I'd avoid outlining in black unless it's a stylistic thing.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2008, 06:37:56 pm by Kamirose »

Offline ortodoxx

• I Steal Colors
    • View Profile

Reply #11 on: June 23, 2008, 07:54:14 pm
Thank you all for you're effort explaining stuff to me. As for kamirose, i kinda like just using diffrent hues as it sooths me, and i will warn you, you will realease a monster if you engourage me to use more colors :)

Offline Kamirose

• View Profile
    • DeviantArt Gallery

Reply #12 on: June 23, 2008, 08:04:10 pm
I'm not saying use a lot of colors, just use different colors :) You'll notice Atnas only had to use four colors (plus black), while you used five colors plus black.  It's mainly that the choice of colors isn't all that dynamic, and there's not enough contrast between them.  By changing colors you can add a lot of interest to the piece, and it's such a simple thing to edit. :)

Offline Atnas

• very daijōbs
    • paintbread
    • paintbread
    • View Profile

Reply #13 on: June 23, 2008, 08:05:42 pm
« Last Edit: October 22, 2008, 09:09:35 pm by Atnas »

Offline ortodoxx

• I Steal Colors
    • View Profile

Reply #14 on: June 23, 2008, 09:19:56 pm

more colors (mjeh), with and without black borderedges  :)
« Last Edit: June 23, 2008, 09:27:04 pm by ortodoxx »

Offline AdamAtomic

• natural born medic
    • View Profile
    • Adam Atomic

Reply #15 on: June 24, 2008, 02:21:09 am
I can't even tell the difference between your first post and this last post.  You've yet to address any of the flaws, or show that you've actually looked at a single reference!

EDIT - Yes, Larwick said what I was trying to say only in a not rude way!  Man up, and try some radical changes.  I guarantee you'll learn something even if it ends up not improving the piece!!
« Last Edit: June 24, 2008, 03:36:46 am by AdamAtomic »

Offline Larwick

• Larwick
    • http://www.pixeljoint.com/p/3794.htm
    • View Profile
    • Artstation

Reply #16 on: June 24, 2008, 03:00:39 am
To add to that, don't be afraid to make vast changes to your piece, even just to try out an idea. Great thing about digital art is that you can simply reload the older version if something goes wrong or you dislike what you've done. It's worth trying it out though.

Good luck.