AuthorTopic: Official Off-Topic Thread  (Read 322362 times)

Offline Cure

• http://pixeljoint.com/p/2621.htm
    • facebook.com/logantannerart
    • View Profile

Re: Official Off-Topic Thread

Reply #500 on: August 19, 2008, 06:42:11 am
I'm really hoping no one feeds the troll argument here and its flawed philosophy.

Aw man, will 500th post GET work if it's an editpost?

Offline JJ Naas

• View Profile
    • My Deviantart page

Reply #501 on: August 19, 2008, 06:50:04 am
One of the reasons why exporting our fantastic Western ideas and values at a gun point often ends up getting very messy is because of thinking that "People are the same everywhere. Of course they want the same things we value most. It's in their human nature to want to be like us, since we obviously are the closest thing to what it really means to be a human, and they can hardly wait to get to our level too."

No, people are not the same everywhere. Culture makes a difference. Not in terms of different levels of progress, but in terms of playing a different game altogether.

Offline ter-o

• Elitist scum
    • View Profile

Reply #502 on: August 19, 2008, 07:05:05 am
id like to think im an original, like all those dumbasses in the mcdonald's commercial
I don't know everything, I just know everything else.
Try not. Do, or do not. There is no try. -Master Yoda

Offline MrMister

• meltymorph
    • View Profile

Reply #503 on: August 19, 2008, 07:17:40 am
thanks for the xkcd comic its super funny 
One of the reasons why exporting our fantastic Western ideas and values at a gun point often ends up getting very messy is because of thinking that "People are the same everywhere. Of course they want the same things we value most. It's in their human nature to want to be like us, since we obviously are the closest thing to what it really means to be a human, and they can hardly wait to get to our level too."

No, people are not the same everywhere. Culture makes a difference. Not in terms of different levels of progress, but in terms of playing a different game altogether.

yeah but those people arent interesting.
me, on the other hand... i am really something
« Last Edit: August 19, 2008, 07:20:56 am by MrMister »
it might be a one shot deal

Offline Cure

• http://pixeljoint.com/p/2621.htm
    • facebook.com/logantannerart
    • View Profile

Reply #504 on: August 19, 2008, 07:23:26 am
Evidence that counter arguments are void.
These arguments serve as nothing more than a scam to get people to rant about their totally awesome opinions on bullshit.

Offline AdamAtomic

• natural born medic
    • View Profile
    • Adam Atomic

Reply #505 on: August 19, 2008, 07:35:47 am
Adam-  you should get your ass out to the lake, dude, dwsing is great!  I can't tell if you lead or followed that roof cause there was a skipped bolt going to the anchors which were already clipped.  If you are learning to lead, or thinking about it, definitely get out over some water with no rope.  It'll really build some confidence and help you learn your limits in terms of fear and, well, ballsyness.  plus its great to whip out into the water on a hot texas day.  The closest to that I've got is in the dacks (small road trip) or Summersville in WV (medium road trip).  One thing I was wondering, I saw your finger board, how come you didn't just buy a hangboard from metolius?  You'll have much more diversity of holds and grips to practice on.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001APVUW6?ie=UTF8&redirect=true

I didn't lead the roof myself, those photos are from my third top-roped attempt at gaining the ledge.  Right now I'm mainly leading 5.10s, the route leading up to the roof is 5.10d and the roof is 5.12, a bit beyond my abilities!  ;)

I thought a lot about getting either a proper fingerboard or maybe rock rings, but:

1 - wanted to be able to customize it, and holds are pretty cheap

2 - wanted to practice building a home rock wall surface, just for the sake of experimentation

3 - was cheaper than fingerboard, about the same cost as rock rings

Offline McStinkus

• View Profile

Reply #506 on: August 19, 2008, 08:17:05 am
true nuff.  I can respect wanting to build it yourself.  A quick word from someone whos gone down that path is to not try and build a home gym unless you have a really devoted group of people you can rely on for years.  I've built two and they are expensive, bulky, and time consuming.  Its fun for a while, but it gets really boring setting hard and fun problems.  And the inevitablilty of running out of room on your wall to do what you want is unavoidable.  If you have a big group of people who are willing to hang out and take turns both setting and solving makes it a far more palatable project.  But you will bulk up finger and arm strength fast if you really devote youself to it.  If you go this route, put as many t-nuts as you can and as much shit as you can on the wall so it takes longer to exhaust your options.  But if you live close enough to the greenbelt to bike there, exhaust that option first!  And if you're ever in upstate ny, scream at me and we can go check out the gunks or something.  Good job on the roof!  I dig working on something out of your league and eventually gettin' er!  Its been years since i've ticked a 12.
Cure- I have no opinion, just bullshit.

Offline ptoing

• variegated quadrangle arranger
    • the_ptoing
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/2191.htm
    • View Profile
    • Perpetually inactive website

Reply #507 on: August 19, 2008, 10:37:32 am
MrMister: Strike GET! for being argumentative just for the sake of it and being a troll, not an overly bad one, but an annoying one none the less. Take this as a warning.
There are no ugly colours, only ugly combinations of colours.

Offline MrMister

• meltymorph
    • View Profile

Reply #508 on: August 19, 2008, 11:14:14 am
N..n-no... NO!!!
it might be a one shot deal

Offline crab2selout.png

• lost my left-most pixel in the war
    • View Profile

Reply #509 on: August 19, 2008, 02:56:27 pm
That's the spirit, Mister. Don't settle for bronze. Go for teh GOLD!