AuthorTopic: Official Off-Topic Thread  (Read 318500 times)

Offline Froli

• Dragon Highlord
    • View Profile

Re: Official Off-Topic Thread

Reply #90 on: July 16, 2008, 03:16:40 am
Eat properly guys... and stay healthy. You'll regret it later ... 7 months ago I felt I almost died. And in consecutive time frame I got problems breathing, Allergies, eye problems <blurring on the left eye and huge floaters on both>, and a week ago tinnitus. I couldn't stay in the computer that long to draw or work, and I have been in and out of doctor checkups. It's like stabbing a dagger to the thing you love to do.

Anyway, You guys following E3? It seems Nintendo Annoyed a lot of people including their user fan base after their presentation. And wow FFXIII on xbox360 while Sony didn't do bad this time.

Offline chriskot

• View Profile

Reply #91 on: July 16, 2008, 06:01:05 am
Anyway, You guys following E3? It seems Nintendo Annoyed a lot of people including their user fan base after their presentation. And wow FFXIII on xbox360 while Sony didn't do bad this time.
I live-streamed all of the console-makers' keynotes and read up on the stuff in between. My impressions:

Microsoft keynote: Not much new stuff, but a pretty nice presentation overall.
Sony keynote: The only Sony console that I own is an old PS2, but their presentation was pretty solid. Some good stuff in there. I liked the way that they did a lot of the presentation with Little Big Planet. I never got a chance to play God of War, but I'm sure that if I did I'd be excited for the new one.
Nintendo keynote: I love Nintendo. Their presentation was... lackluster at best, but some of the stuff looked good (1-to-1 swordfighting with the Wiimote? Yes please). Maybe it's just my optimism, but I think that they may be holding back something bigger for later. It just seems like something they would do. I think that what annoyed everybody was mainly the fact that the "hardcore" title they were showing off was a new Animal Crossing, which most people saw coming anyway.

Overall, it just looks to me like the companies are putting less work into their presentations since E3 was downsized.

Offline .TakaM

• View Profile
    • Fetch Quest

Reply #92 on: July 16, 2008, 08:17:31 am
Animal crossing was all I was really hoping for, and the voice chat is a nice addition.
The more I think about it, the more I like it.. much better than wearing a headset as long as the quality is as good as it sounded.

and it was really neat how sony used LBP for lots of their presentation
Life without knowledge is death in disguise

Offline huZba

• MekaSkull
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/19396.htm
    • huzba
    • View Profile

Reply #93 on: July 16, 2008, 09:11:43 am
Little big planet is one of the few games I'm really looking forward to. It just never fails to bring a smile to my face. Also the guys making it are such a cheery bunch that the interviews made me feel happy as well.

I played most of the new E3 trailers in succession and noticed majority of them were EPIC hero fighting an EPIC war in an EPIC universe (all of square enix games at least).
There's some exceptions. Games that set the high level of fidelity closer to the player. Much like when writing a story, when designing a game you need to make a very conscious choice of how to portray the world, what is your scale and at what level do you carry out your story, so you can invest your time at that level to make it feel tangible.

For example, mirror's edge which seems very interesting makes the player's movement the point of high fidelity.
Dead Space also has some nice design choices. You're always in control of your character and all the "game stuff" is gone, like the gui. You see your gun's remaining ammo in the screen of the gun your character is holding and everything you see is also what your character sees. Should work well in favor of higher immersion.

Generally i'd like to see more games that are less epic. If there's a war, you just want to get through alive instead of saving the whole universe. If there's an epicly big empire, it's just a backdrop to the story and you focus on more personal stuff. ... that sort of things.

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile

Reply #94 on: July 16, 2008, 09:36:16 am
Hello everyone from italy,

I've spent the last few weeks (and will spend the next few weeks) immersed in rather non-videogame culture, but I will say thta little big planet has me very happy :).
A mistake is a mistake.
The same mistake twice is a bad habit.
The same mistake three or more times is a motif.

Offline .TakaM

• View Profile
    • Fetch Quest

Reply #95 on: July 16, 2008, 10:33:14 am
mirrors edge looks very interesting too, but I'm still skeptical about it being first person.
It seems like the type of game that would greatly benefit from a third person camera
Life without knowledge is death in disguise

Offline Ben2theEdge

• I'ma drink mah coffee!
    • View Profile
    • My Deviantart Gallery

Reply #96 on: July 16, 2008, 01:33:28 pm
Little Big Planet is proof that there is a God and he loves us.

Mirror's Edge looks absolutely gorgeous, I really love the design route they took with those bold technicolor buildings. I don't think I've ever seen anything like it. I hope it has a funky 70's style soundtrack, haha. I actually really like the 1st person camera, it gives this awesome sense of vertigo. In Tomb Raider you're not afraid to send Lara plummeting to her doom because she's just a puppet. In this game it's YOU, the player who will plummet to your death if you don't exercise caution. I think this is one of the best uses of a 1st person camera I've ever seen. (And I don't like FPS games)

I'm excited about Fallout 3 as well but only because I am a huge fan of the Mad Max movies and this looks like the closest thing we'll get to a Mad Max game for a while.

Final Fantasy looks like a big letdown to me. The latest trailer shows no hint of suspense, romance, or restraint. The game looks like it's all about autonomous killing machines with sarcastic grins in a dystopian future. Like every other game out there. And the art design is a completely directionless mess, as is the case with Square recently. The art isn't creating any kind of story or atmosphere, it's just screaming "look at me! look at me!"

Final Fantasy pre-production meeting:

Producer: What is the game going to look like?
Art director: Everything.
Producer: What do you mean, "everything"?
Art Director: EEEEVVVEEERRYYYYYTHIIIIINNNNGGGGG!!!
*jumps on table and throws papers everywhere*

I'm more excited about the DS Final Fantasy remakes.
I mild from suffer dislexia.

Offline miascugh

• Schnitzelfiend
    • View Profile

Reply #97 on: July 16, 2008, 05:55:41 pm
I gained like 10 pounds/ 5 kilos inexplicably. I was 67 kilos for the last 5 years or something and now I am 72 or so. I don't know what happened. WILL I GET FAT  :'( ??? :(

Just a thought, but the last time you were 67 kilos, was that before the stache?

Offline Opacus

• Entangled
    • View Profile
    • www.jimjansen.net

Reply #98 on: July 16, 2008, 07:42:12 pm
Little Big Planet is proof that there is a God and he loves us.

Mirror's Edge looks absolutely gorgeous, I really love the design route they took with those bold technicolor buildings. I don't think I've ever seen anything like it. I hope it has a funky 70's style soundtrack, haha. I actually really like the 1st person camera, it gives this awesome sense of vertigo. In Tomb Raider you're not afraid to send Lara plummeting to her doom because she's just a puppet. In this game it's YOU, the player who will plummet to your death if you don't exercise caution. I think this is one of the best uses of a 1st person camera I've ever seen. (And I don't like FPS games)

I'm excited about Fallout 3 as well but only because I am a huge fan of the Mad Max movies and this looks like the closest thing we'll get to a Mad Max game for a while.

Final Fantasy looks like a big letdown to me. The latest trailer shows no hint of suspense, romance, or restraint. The game looks like it's all about autonomous killing machines with sarcastic grins in a dystopian future. Like every other game out there. And the art design is a completely directionless mess, as is the case with Square recently. The art isn't creating any kind of story or atmosphere, it's just screaming "look at me! look at me!"

Final Fantasy pre-production meeting:

Producer: What is the game going to look like?
Art director: Everything.
Producer: What do you mean, "everything"?
Art Director: EEEEVVVEEERRYYYYYTHIIIIINNNNGGGGG!!!
*jumps on table and throws papers everywhere*

I'm more excited about the DS Final Fantasy remakes.

Oh that was a Final Fantasy announcement. When I saw the trailer I thought it was Star Wars.

Offline vierbit

• 0.09 posts per day
    • View Profile

Reply #99 on: July 16, 2008, 08:22:19 pm
Oh man that was the worse E3 ever, well I know its not completely over yet so there is still a chance for some positive news.
Where is my next f-zero, next waverace nintendo?! There press conference was an insult to any gamer imo.

Oh yeah mirrors edge looks awesome, excellent artstyle and the first person view feels really intense.
The mainline final fantasys are probably nice games, but the metrosexual-, emo- fetish from there character designer let me stay away.