AuthorTopic: Official Off-Topic Thread  (Read 322570 times)

Offline skw

• Stuck in the Nineties.
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Theodore Customs

Re: Official Off-Topic Thread

Reply #70 on: July 10, 2008, 05:19:05 pm
Quote from: Feron
I don't think its physically possible to just stop altogether the human body isnt strong enough...

a few good friends of mine did that and I believe them, a matter of strong will probably.  it's a different story when you *like* smoking and it gives you pleasure.

I, personally, know I won't give it up until some good stimulus pops up.  or I will smoke till kingdom come.

also lights... wtf.  (they have so much shit in them)

not much more than regular reds.  I think it's just another example of folk wisdom, like, say, the famous charcoal filter (Pall Mall ftw).  every smoke is a coffin nail after all. :)

good luck then!  don't let this shit take over you!
Even a common man by obtaining knowledge becomes a Buddha.
sexual content, click at your own risk! https://www.facebook.com/szumprodukcje /also known as skurwy

Offline Feron

• Carpe Diem
    • View Profile
    • Pixelheart

Reply #71 on: July 10, 2008, 05:22:58 pm
also lights... wtf.  (they have so much shit in them)
not much more than regular reds.  I think it's just another example of folk wisdom, like, say, the famous charcoal filter (Pall Mall ftw)

ahh yes the charcoal filter, i have never really been a fan of pall mall.

but i've heard lights have fibreglass in the filter  :-\

Offline Ben2theEdge

• I'ma drink mah coffee!
    • View Profile
    • My Deviantart Gallery

Reply #72 on: July 10, 2008, 05:49:58 pm
Team Fortress 2 is ruining my productivity.
Is there anything to gain from this endless rat race? Slaughter and conquer for 2 minutes, repeat. This kind of games are most primitive and have the shortest lasting gains. Once you stop, it's gone.

Hehe, i played it a lot too and it is a lot of fun and actually has things to learn from. It's simple and refined. Though it blows my mind how some peoples investment in hours easily reach thousands. For most it's really just the rush of the moment, but with long term achievements people get arbitrary reasons to play. The drug is there, it's legal and you're convinced it's okay to reach for that Superheadshot-mastah BADGE that no-one else really cares about.

Games are slowly but steadily heading for the low-investment - fast gain territory, which is a bummer as a whole i think, even if there is plenty of low level gamedesign that's evolving in a good direction.

Heheh... I usually play in little spurts for an hour or so... I think it's the competitive/team element that makes it worthwhile for me. There is definitely a rush you get when some snotty kid with a cowboy accent is trash-talking you and you come up from behind and explode him into a billion pieces. And it also feels great when you manage to get a good team together, everyone is doing their job and the other team are losing ground. I never used to play online games because I hated the community - everyone is trashy and lewd. Team Fortress 2 has a bit of that but since people have to cooperate it seems that everyone is a touch more mature than in a standard "deathmatch" game.
I mild from suffer dislexia.

Offline Dusty

• View Profile

Reply #73 on: July 12, 2008, 07:34:25 pm
Mario Kart Wii, I'm sure some of you guys have it

1161-0632-5026

you scratch mine...
:(...

anyone have smash bros?  :(
Me. I gotta get my FC later on, but I've been looking for people to play with :/

Offline JJ Naas

• View Profile
    • My Deviantart page

Reply #74 on: July 12, 2008, 08:47:20 pm
Is there anything to gain from this endless rat race? Slaughter and conquer for 2 minutes, repeat. This kind of games are most primitive and have the shortest lasting gains. Once you stop, it's gone.

Heheh... I usually play in little spurts for an hour or so... I think it's the competitive/team element that makes it worthwhile for me.

I've not played TF2, but other such games.. CS, RTCW MP, Enemy Territory, Urban Terror etc. I think there are two things that make these games fun for me:

1. Team effort. Some games like Enemy Territory have a built in system that makes you benefit from team play even with complete strangers, some are more frag hunt -orientated, which doesn't appeal to me that much, but many people enjoy that as well.

2. Human opponents. AI may never replace the creativeness in strategies and the fight ballettes stretching the limits of the game engine that two skilled players can come up with when having a showdown in a narrow corridor, both equipped with a pistol and a knife. It's like: "Aha, this guy's got fast reflexes, but no matter, I'm gonna be even faster and cleverer."

« Last Edit: July 12, 2008, 08:52:12 pm by JJ Naas »

Offline Dusty

• View Profile

Reply #75 on: July 12, 2008, 08:49:58 pm
Meh... I hate this feeling. I always have amazing pictures in my head, so crystal clear, on what I want something to look like. I mean, down to the last pixel. Then I always think, it's gonna look awesome!! But I always, always end up just not being able to translate my image to whatever I'm doing.

It just kills my motivation so fast.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2008, 02:46:03 am by Dusty »

Offline huZba

• MekaSkull
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/19396.htm
    • huzba
    • View Profile

Reply #76 on: July 13, 2008, 07:51:40 am
Just pixel whatever you can as soon as you get your inspiration, don't care if it's not perfect, post for critique, explain what it is you want it to be and you might end up with something awesome.

From whenever i started drawing i've felt like i can't perfectly draw what i have in my head because whenever i learn something new it translates to a harder to realize image in the head that's something i can't fully replicate on paper. I can easily draw something i've imagined two years ago though. It's like chasing something you can never catch but you're still trailing a few meters behind.

Offline Atnas

• very daijōbs
    • paintbread
    • paintbread
    • View Profile

Reply #77 on: July 13, 2008, 12:04:30 pm
I was reading something relevant in a book by Ron Tiner two days ago.

"The images stored in the mind may seem to be visual, but as soon as we try to draw them they become elusive and the resulting drawings can all too easily degenerate into cliches, devoid of any merit and containing little or nothing of the grand designs that the mind originally conceived.

What is needed then, is a means of making accessible the information stored in the mind."

His means are none other than rather redundant "practice, study, and practicality," although he indicates that it is the mindset that dictates the successful transmission from mind to page. Tiner illustrates how you can draw from your memory if you practice enough, as the objects you're trying to draw will embed themselves within your amassed knowledge and experience, and the skill gained will seep into how you draw things other than your choice of study. This should be true to pixel art, and most probably easier with a pixel.

Just keep doing it, accept the initial outcome, learn as you go. (I think the product of trial and error without trying to copy from your mind is most times more interesting than what's planned, but right now that's beside the point.) Eventually you'll be able to translate from your mind to screen satisfactorily. I also think time is important, so spend a lot of it, even when it's "failed". It might just be reshaped into what you want it to be, so don't lose motivation!

If we could initially draw or pixel precisely from our memory, all the savory moments would disappear and we'd be just like printers.  Take joy in the natural ineptitude~ ;D

Offline Dusty

• View Profile

Reply #78 on: July 13, 2008, 10:49:34 pm
Sadly, all my great ideas and images in my head come to me as I'm lying down for bed. It'll keep me up for hours, and if I do get up to actually put them down into pixels/paper, I'm too tired to do it correctly :/

Offline huZba

• MekaSkull
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/19396.htm
    • huzba
    • View Profile

Reply #79 on: July 14, 2008, 11:00:46 am
Yeah, happens to me too. I guess it's common among artists... huge flood of images just pop out of nowhere when i hit the sack. I read an article about it somewhere but can't remember where  :'( It was a generally resourceful website aimed at freelance artists. All kinds of info on how to maximize your efficiency, work on schedule and so forth.