AuthorTopic: [WIP] Sprites and things~  (Read 8036 times)

Offline sharksweetheart

• View Profile

[WIP] Sprites and things~

on: June 16, 2008, 11:38:55 pm
I doubt anybody remembers my previous thread but I've since downsized the sprites, due too large ones taking me weeks to perfect and simply not being practical at all.

!UPDATE!

Hmm...

Also, running:

Now I have this:

My main issue is getting some kind of definition. Even on this light background he's getting pretty hard to read; he'd completely blend into to the tileset. Because he's so small I can't simply add an outline without everything going to hell, but I don't know what else to do!

I also made a faceset for this little guy:

The obvious problem here is the hair. I'm really quite bad at getting the fringe/bangs to sit on the forehead, unless it's completely straight-cut.

Does anybody have any suggestions, tutorials or anything for my dilemmas? i 3 i
« Last Edit: June 18, 2008, 01:09:23 am by sharksweetheart »

Offline Malor

• Masquerading as a black bear.
    • View Profile

Re: [WIP] Need help with hair and tiny sprite

Reply #1 on: June 17, 2008, 04:00:09 am
Uhh well I'm not sure my edit actually focuses on what you needed help on but I made a few changed, primarily on the shading.. Just a style suggestion, really.

Quote from: Adarias
I'm not going to pretend this is a small task either; certainly none of us here can claim to have accomplished it.  it's the realm of masters.  still, it's what we all have to try for.

Offline sharksweetheart

• View Profile

Re: [WIP] Need help with hair and tiny sprite

Reply #2 on: June 17, 2008, 04:54:49 am
Actually that was REALLY helpful; I didn't think fixing the hair would be as simply as adding some shading around it. Thank you!

I used your hair as a reference, I hope that's okay. Not really digging the eyes though so I kept the original ones. I also tweaked the sprite and it is certainly more defined now, but I don't think it's pops out quite enough. Hmm.

EDIT:

Slight tweak of the lips and braid:

Also, running:
« Last Edit: June 17, 2008, 10:08:17 am by sharksweetheart »

Offline Lackey

• remember to drink cure potions
    • View Profile

Re: [WIP] Sprites and things~

Reply #3 on: June 17, 2008, 06:38:53 pm
Sorry, no time for commentary because I'm on the run from the law.

Just a little edit for sharpness maybe?  It's cute!

Offline sharksweetheart

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: June 18, 2008, 01:09:54 am

Update. Hmm...

Offline PypeBros

• Pixel Padawan
    • PypeBros
    • View Profile
    • Bilou Homebrew's Blog.

Reply #5 on: June 18, 2008, 06:17:57 am
if you crawl for other posts on running animations, you'll see that you should have preferred other keyframes, especially avoiding to have only two silouhettes and just changing the color of the legs: the eye cannot track that at that speed and only see two frames.

Offline sharksweetheart

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: June 18, 2008, 06:26:08 am
if you crawl for other posts on running animations, you'll see that you should have preferred other keyframes, especially avoiding to have only two silouhettes and just changing the color of the legs: the eye cannot track that at that speed and only see two frames.
I actually used a tutorial I found here and it seemed to do just that but upon closer inspection there is a slight change of position:

It's hard to do really minor movements like that at this size, though. I guess I'll look for some more tuts!

Offline Lackey

• remember to drink cure potions
    • View Profile

Reply #7 on: June 18, 2008, 06:52:56 am
I think maybe choose the other keyframes if you're sticking to four frames.  Extension and crossover read the best.

This is imperfect and the volumes may not be exactly consistent.  I simplified the colours entirely so you can see it better.

You could maybe add two frames for a little pop in the stepping motion.

Offline sharksweetheart

• View Profile

Reply #8 on: June 18, 2008, 10:10:54 am
Yeah that's probably a good idea. I'm using RPG Maker to create this which has a default setting of 4 frames (!!!) but I'm pretty sure it's simple to change the script.

A significant update; I remade the bastard bigger and started working on another sprite, his sister (yeah, that thing with the braid is a boy, but he's nine so it's okay to be androgynous, right?):

Offline PypeBros

• Pixel Padawan
    • PypeBros
    • View Profile
    • Bilou Homebrew's Blog.

Reply #9 on: June 18, 2008, 12:06:57 pm
I actually used a tutorial I found here and it seemed to do just that but upon closer inspection there is a slight change of position:

Except that this tutorial has been critized previously in that it does *not* start with extremes as it pretends. Extremes of a running animation is frames where your foot hit the ground, thus frames #2 and #6 rather than #1 and #5. Plus, your character's head is almost facing us, and you make her running with body in a complete side-view. If you instead have 3/4th body view, shoulders and hips will be separated, meaning that the running sequence will be easier to read.

It's hard to do really minor movements like that at this size, though. I guess I'll look for some more tuts!
If you ask me, your character's body is terribly small compared to his head (it's almost 1:0.5:0.5 for head-torso-legs sizes in the running animation; new standing pictures are a bit better, i'd give 1:1:1 a try if i were you)