AuthorTopic: Tiny (for me) Pixel Person ~ C+C wanted  (Read 4414 times)

Offline heyy13

• View Profile

Tiny (for me) Pixel Person ~ C+C wanted

on: June 12, 2008, 12:46:58 am
This is my first time pixeling a person who's full dimentions would be less than 150ish pixels tall. So i would like lots of crits on how i can improve her as i'm not used to pixeling on this scale. : )

12 Colours, pallet can be seen on the side of the image.

C+C please.

Offline Hyrule_SwordsMan

• View Profile

Re: Tiny (for me) Pixel Person ~ C+C wanted

Reply #1 on: June 12, 2008, 01:23:39 am
u should really consider adding some contrast here

is it a clowdy day?

Offline heyy13

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: June 12, 2008, 01:28:38 am
It is cloudy, but not obscenely so. I was going for she's standing really quite high after climbing a big rocky outcropping and that's the sky behind her? >__<;;

As for more contrast, why? I think it has huge quantities allready, please edit to show me how you think it would improove the peice as in my fiddelings i don't think it's gotten any better.

Offline tehwexxl0rz

• Swing the bat.
    • ianwexl0rz
    • https://pixeljoint.com/p/15996.htm
    • View Profile
    • Ian Wexler | Game Developer

Reply #3 on: June 12, 2008, 02:06:22 am
Her right foot (our left) should be almost completely forward-facing. It looks very awkward and unnatural at this angle.

Offline zeid

• View Profile
    • Pixel Class

Reply #4 on: June 12, 2008, 02:29:15 am

This edit only really covers colours and only briefly.
you definately need more contrast, you might also need to adjust your monitor if you cant tell. Your shading is fairly decent, and the forms are fairly good, your main problem seems to be the palette. Careful when using the same colour in two different colour ramps, in yours it looks a little like the girl has holes all over her.
There are some other points I want to bring up, but I will leave it there for now so not to bombard you with to much stuff.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2008, 02:35:09 am by zeid »
View my Devlog... unless you aren't ready to have your mind blown.

Offline alkaline

• may be caustic
    • designflaw
    • awstenn
    • View Profile

Reply #5 on: June 12, 2008, 02:37:19 am
in your edit zeid, you have only darkened the image really. be careful to give it a higher range of values, not just adjust brightness.

Offline Hyrule_SwordsMan

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: June 13, 2008, 12:29:14 am

meh
idk, its kinda more colorful

Offline PypeBros

• Pixel Padawan
    • PypeBros
    • View Profile
    • Bilou Homebrew's Blog.

Reply #7 on: June 13, 2008, 07:40:33 am
the elbows look very angular to me, and her left forearm is surprisingly thick compared to her right one.

Offline Hyrule_SwordsMan

• View Profile

Reply #8 on: June 13, 2008, 11:32:56 am
i don't know why you added the sky color to the skin
andd i think it lacks of dettails, but that may be what u wanted in first place
so yeah

Offline Kcilc

• View Profile

Reply #9 on: June 16, 2008, 01:41:57 am
While there is a small problem with the contrast of this piece, what really hurts it is the lack of depth; everything is very iconic and flat.
When you're working with smaller pieces of pixel art, well any size of art for that matter, it's very important that you worry about details last. You want to focus on the form, depth, and, lighting first.

Here's a sloppy edit:

The first thing that jumps out at me with this piece is that there is very little atmosphere; the colors looks pretty straight and flat, like a road.
It can help to try to imagine where your art is, like in my edit it's in a dry place, a little bit like a desert because I've lowered the saturation and gave everything yellowish tint. This might not be what you wanted in this piece, but it's just an edit to show how you could give it a little more character.

Second, you're not really looking at the body under the dress, this is most evident with the skirt. The folds look as though they were just kind of thrown in there to break it up a little and not because of the tension the cloth would be put under in her current stance. Her face is too iconic for my tastes with such a small surface to work with; as you can see in my edit I've simplified it quite a bit, I removed the mouth because I've had this problem before and found it can look much better to just hint at a mouth than actually try to draw it with so little space. The arms are also lacking any coherent form; I can't say I'm very good at shading arms myself, so you and I should study how to shade arms more effectively.

Third, you haven't really shaded anything with as much care as is needed at this size; the shading is probably the best tool to convey detail without having to actually draw the object, which is a skill that can take some time to develop. What you have at the moment is highlights and mid-tones, but no shadows anywhere in sight; this is probably why a lot of people have said this piece is lacking contrast. Remember that shadows are a little different than the other two of the triad because instead of nice curvy ramping there is a flat void, if you will, where an object is blocking the light-source that would have illuminated it like the rest of the object; in short, the shadows are where the light just can't hit, so these should be left flat, but very dark. Look at the hair right next to the head, and just under her breasts to see how drastic shadows can get.

In closing, I'd like to point out that I have not touched the clouds and sky, and the rocks I just played around with a tiny bit; you can ignore these.

I hope I've helped you out in some way, happy pixeling!