AuthorTopic: Portrait, need critique  (Read 2673 times)

Offline Jelly_Donut

• View Profile

Portrait, need critique

on: June 10, 2008, 06:24:58 pm
Hey everyone! Okay so I've decided to take a very short break from those small sprites I posted (which still need some more critique if anyone is up for it :)  ) to do something larger. The idea behind this is, one I needed an avitar, and two - I wanted to do pixel art on a larger scale and with very limited colors. SO! It's a work in progress, but I want to know if I'm headed in the right direction. This for me would count as something of a second attempt at pixel art -

and here is the photo I'm using -

To do this I spent a lot of time studying that mono-lisa remake Helm posted (but did not do ((I don't think he did it... I'll re-check and update this))) in the master remake challenge thread. I was blown away by the use of few colors to represent so well an amazing painting.

I'm using even fewer colors here, so I'm wondering if I've used dithering correctly? It seems to be the best approach when doing skin tones on a larger scale.

I was hoping to do a simple animation with this when I'm finished. Right now I've used 7 colors total.

Offline Jelly_Donut

• View Profile

Re: Portrait, need critique

Reply #1 on: June 11, 2008, 03:14:48 am
-update-

I'm having some issues with the pearls using so few colors.

Offline AdamAtomic

• natural born medic
    • View Profile
    • Adam Atomic

Re: Portrait, need critique

Reply #2 on: June 11, 2008, 03:49:35 pm
Try working off of a much darker background, and staying away from colors at first, just use a few shades of gray.  And stay away from outlines!!  I don't see ANY outlines in that photo.  As you're working from a black and white photo this seems like a much more reasonable way to start!