AuthorTopic: deamon fighter (hi..!)  (Read 3354 times)

Offline sinie

• View Profile

deamon fighter (hi..!)

on: May 30, 2008, 10:07:17 pm
That's my first post.. hi there everybody..
I've been fascinated by pixel art for quite a while now (Super Mario probably started it all ^^).. especially by the wide range of expression you got despite (or because if you like) the minimalistic approach.. by the way you can work with patterns.. and the many ways you can "trick" the eye to see more than there actually is..

I've found a lot beautiful and interesting stuff by browsing these forums.. so I'm a bit afraid to post my first pixel art..  :-[

I don't know why I haven't tried before.. probably because I draw less often then I should and still haven't learned to look really closely at things

edit: forgot to mention that it's fanart for (the upcoming mmo) the chronicles of spellborn

2nd edit: I removed the black outlines. c&c would be welcome if somebody could spare some time  ::)

« Last Edit: June 02, 2008, 11:11:20 pm by sinie »

Offline Xion

• View Profile
    • FourbitFriday

Re: deamon fighter (hi..!)

Reply #1 on: June 05, 2008, 05:29:25 am
I'm finding it hard to tell what's what. What's it holding? where's its head? the far leg looks funny. Do you have a reference?

Also, don't be scared. We're here to help.

Offline Sherman Gill

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: June 05, 2008, 07:52:05 am
Ahh, you're off to a good start. I assume you have some experience in other forms of art ;)?
The main problem I see with it is that the upper body, including the arms and weapon, lacks a true sense of depth. The legs do really well there though, but you could stand to get rid of that light band around the back leg's knee.
Also, the only color range with good contrast is the legs, most else is either dark or light, which doesn't really work here.

Lastly, if you're using a reference it's privvy to post it :).
Oh yes naked women are beautiful
But I like shrimps more haha ;)

Offline sinie

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: June 13, 2008, 02:23:42 pm
Thanks for your feedback Sherman and Xion.. I'm sorry my answer is somewhat late.. Not sure if the forums had been down lately?
here's my reference screenshot..

http://img403.imageshack.us/img403/3627/pic803id7.jpg

I've got quite some experience in drawing and painting (oil, acryl) but I find it hard to keep on practicing constantly.. even though I think understanding the basics of drawing (and painting) is vital for any other form of art (including digital art)

I'll try to make some changes to the daevi (that's what this race is called in the game) pixel this weekend.. I'll try to add more contrast for more depth..
In the reference pic you can see that she's actually holding an axe  ::) I guess the angle I chose makes it hard to identify it..

edit: Not sure how much of an improvement that is..

« Last Edit: June 17, 2008, 08:40:24 pm by sinie »