AuthorTopic: New/Old Forum-goer and some fresh-baked pixels  (Read 10618 times)

Offline garland

• View Profile

New/Old Forum-goer and some fresh-baked pixels

on: May 29, 2008, 04:31:16 am
Uh...Yeah, I guess the subject kinda explains it already, but anyways. I'm new here, but not really. I used to post on here way back in the day, but it seems the forums have changed hosts a couple of times since then, and the community seems to have grown. (In it's talent, if not it's size.) So, I guess I'm saying hey and stuff. Prolly the wrong forum for this, but oh well, perhaps I can save myself with some pixel art.

I got bored, lost track of time. C+C still much appreciated though.

Offline dtek

• View Profile

Re: New/Old Forum-goer and some fresh-baked pixels

Reply #1 on: May 29, 2008, 05:37:16 pm
Hi, I like the red dithering under his shorts, kind of jumps out at 100%, interesting
I think he's cross-eyed though...
later

Offline garland

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: May 30, 2008, 06:13:33 am
Hmm...so I take that it's terribly unobvious that the sprite is supposed to be female. I guess that's...not good...hmm?

Offline tehwexxl0rz

• Swing the bat.
    • ianwexl0rz
    • https://pixeljoint.com/p/15996.htm
    • View Profile
    • Ian Wexler | Game Developer

Reply #3 on: May 30, 2008, 06:24:40 am
Hmm...so I take that it's terribly unobvious that the sprite is supposed to be female. I guess that's...not good...hmm?
Hehe... If you give her some hips and decrease the width of her waist relative to her bust it should help. ;)

Offline garland

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: May 30, 2008, 06:46:52 am
Small edit:

I raised the breasts a little and thinned the waist and widened the hips. Hopefully feels a bit more female now. Actually the sprite started as a buff dude, and when I started to detail it, it sort of changed into a chick. So I carved away a bunch of it already, but I guess it's still got traces of manly-ness in there. Not that there's anything wrong with a good solid woman. :P

I don't really have any plans for this thing, I guess I could try animating it or something...

Offline Caliber9

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: May 30, 2008, 01:10:39 pm
I think that the problem is that the hips aren't round enough, female's hips are very round and end up a lot higher on the body. I try to think of the curve of the hips extending the whole way down to the knee.  Her hips are too straight so that gives her a more manly look.  I did an edit hopefully it helps its not perfect by any means and I don't claim to be a master in anatomy or anything but I think it helps give her a more feminine look. 

« Last Edit: May 30, 2008, 01:14:21 pm by Caliber9 »

Offline garland

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: May 30, 2008, 01:54:02 pm
I made some more small changes:

The newest sprite is on the far right. Apart from some random changes to the neck and the horns, I tried to address the manliness issue again. I rounded the hips somewhat, but it seems to me that she's got unusually wide hips now. I'm not sure if this is a matter of anatomy or a matter of taste. But her legs look too big for the rest of her body to me now.

Offline PypeBros

• Pixel Padawan
    • PypeBros
    • View Profile
    • Bilou Homebrew's Blog.

Reply #7 on: May 30, 2008, 02:45:11 pm
it's not that much about her legs to be big, but more about how straight they are. (just my 2cents)

Offline huZba

• MekaSkull
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/19396.htm
    • huzba
    • View Profile

Reply #8 on: May 30, 2008, 03:15:26 pm
It's an okay start, but there's a lot of issues. What's the litgthsource? It seems random. From the top, left, right, below? How is she holding the shield? Are you going to give her a spear? Have you decided what kind of light shines on her?

Lots of things to work on, but i suggest you start pulling it together by giving her a more exciting pose, or just work with the legs a bit. Google around for vikings and maybe you'll get ideas on how to give her more personality too!
Once you have the pose done, try making the different clothes look different enough. Give a distinctly different value for brown parts to lose the flatness. and make metallic parts shinier.

Once you have all that done, then it's time for pixel polish.

Offline wah_wah_69

• View Profile

Reply #9 on: June 07, 2008, 04:45:35 pm
Long hair?