AuthorTopic: A tileset..  (Read 12046 times)

Offline PypeBros

• Pixel Padawan
    • PypeBros
    • View Profile
    • Bilou Homebrew's Blog.

Re: A tileset..

Reply #20 on: May 26, 2008, 04:20:06 pm
I've updated the tileset. Mainly the tree texture, but it still seems wrong to me. Help greatly appreciated with that tree.
problem #1 with your tree is that your texture has a strong "vertical" look. E.g. things are highly vertically-aligned in the texture pattern, which is fair for the trunk, but do not fit roots and branches.
#2, your transition between non-shaded and shaded part of the tree is very straight, and (again) follows a vertical line, reinforcing the feeling that the tree must have a sharp, vertical edge there.
#3, roots and branches are usually shapes of their own (cylinder-likes) and thus have their own highlight and shadows.

So far, my best suggestion for you would be to re-start a new tree shape without texture (add it later), with 3 or 4 colours and focussing only on shaded and highlighted areas. I once collected trees of various video-games on my blog, maybe it could be helpful for you ...

Offline Joseph

• Shut up and pixel.
    • View Profile

Reply #21 on: May 26, 2008, 09:09:13 pm
yes, and your character's hair is really bright compared to everything else in this game.  and he looks awful cliche.

Offline brod

• Chocolate Covered
    • View Profile
    • Website

Reply #22 on: May 27, 2008, 10:18:54 pm
I've updated the tileset. Mainly the tree texture, but it still seems wrong to me. Help greatly appreciated with that tree.
problem #1 with your tree is that your texture has a strong "vertical" look. E.g. things are highly vertically-aligned in the texture pattern, which is fair for the trunk, but do not fit roots and branches.
#2, your transition between non-shaded and shaded part of the tree is very straight, and (again) follows a vertical line, reinforcing the feeling that the tree must have a sharp, vertical edge there.
#3, roots and branches are usually shapes of their own (cylinder-likes) and thus have their own highlight and shadows.

So far, my best suggestion for you would be to re-start a new tree shape without texture (add it later), with 3 or 4 colours and focussing only on shaded and highlighted areas. I once collected trees of various video-games on my blog, maybe it could be helpful for you ...

Alright, thanks! That blog is actually pretty damn helpful, I think I have some new inspiration for a tree.

yes, and your character's hair is really bright compared to everything else in this game.  and he looks awful cliche.

Alright, I'll lower the sat. And I'm not too worried about that, you're talking about his hair, right? I think he looks fine, I wouldn't have him any other way.

Offline Teknogames

• Indie Game Dev - http://teknopants.com
    • View Profile
    • Teknopants.com

Reply #23 on: May 28, 2008, 03:39:23 am
I would consider adding some tiles that break the grid look. Try adding indentations in the grass or some hills or something. Perhaps multiple cliff sides? Some rocks and other objects would add some well deserved variation.
Indie Game Dev - http://teknopants.com

Offline brod

• Chocolate Covered
    • View Profile
    • Website

Reply #24 on: June 11, 2008, 01:35:40 pm
Yep, have been working that. I'll post an image of some of my newest ideas when I get back >_<