AuthorTopic: Frist try at animation. Walk cycle help.  (Read 11048 times)

Offline robotacon

• robotacon
    • View Profile
    • It Got Dark

Re: Frist try at animation. Walk cycle help.

Reply #10 on: May 15, 2008, 06:28:50 am
Also if you plan on doing more animating I also suggest that you get Richard Williams' book, the Animator's Survival Guide. Many pixel artists approach animation blindly, just making it up as they go (I was guilty of this myself), ignoring the techniques that the masters have been using for almost 100 years, and there's simply no reason for that when there is such a wealth of knowledge and technique built up already.
I second that proposal, the Animator's Survival Guide is by far the best book I've come across when it comes to animation.
I've got lots of books on the topic but Richard Williams' book has the best examples and explanations for why things work like they do in animation.

Also, this might sound weird but Scott McCloud has a book called Making Comics which talks alot about telling a story but also about body language and things like that.

Offline sharprm

• INTP/INTJ
    • View Profile

Reply #11 on: May 15, 2008, 11:37:07 am
LuckyF - aren't you being a bit defensive? Your animation isn't terrible, its quite good, but its not perfect! Here is Ptoing's post by the way:

http://www.wayofthepixel.net/pixelation/index.php?PHPSESSID=54ebf05f8be475e26683f03309130c4f&topic=6233.msg73689#msg73689
Modern artists are told that they must create something totally original-or risk being called "derivative".They've been indoctrinated with the concept that bad=good.The effect is always the same: Meaningless primitivism
http://www.artrenewal.org/articles/Philosophy/phi

Offline LuckyF

• View Profile

Reply #12 on: May 15, 2008, 12:37:58 pm
Thanks, I already found it.
 Defensive? I don't know ... it's just a natural reaction =\

Offline Ben2theEdge

• I'ma drink mah coffee!
    • View Profile
    • My Deviantart Gallery

Reply #13 on: May 15, 2008, 03:31:29 pm
I think my comment was misunderstood - I DON'T think this animation is terrible!
I mild from suffer dislexia.

Offline robotacon

• robotacon
    • View Profile
    • It Got Dark

Reply #14 on: May 15, 2008, 07:37:31 pm
1. Make sure the foot travels on the ground at a constant speed. Perhaps this isn't true for all walks but for a computer game it's a heck of a lot easier to implement than to keep track of how far each frame travels.

2. You twist the body on each step but only with her right side. She only twists out towards the viewer, she also needs to twist away from the viewer.

3. You should delay the foot leaving the ground and put it down faster. Currently it's the other way around, like she's walking slightly downhill.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2008, 06:28:54 am by robotacon »

Offline Mike

• View Profile
    • Scribble onto the Abyss

Reply #15 on: May 16, 2008, 12:59:55 am
I gotta be honest, brutually.  This animation doesn't really work well.  I can tell that it may be Lara Croft and she may not have a feminine walk, but your cycle doesn't even hint at a different gender.  The leg spacing is far far to wide.  It would do you well to reread Animator's Survival Guide.  It says in there that women typically walk with their legs closer together and have little head bounce.  There are of course exceptions.  If you don't want to take the critique then why are you here?

[edit]
Whoops, didn't see your newer version there.  That is much better and actually feels like some weight is being put on the foot on the down position, not much but some.  Still it is a bit bland...not much character really.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2008, 02:00:30 am by Mike »

Offline LuckyF

• View Profile

Reply #16 on: May 16, 2008, 09:46:12 am
I got a new version now ... but I don't want to post it without hands, and I don't have time right now to work on them. Well ther's no head either )

Mike, the thing is I want to hear the critique but when someone says something like "bla bla bla ... your method sucks, your animation sucks ... bla bla". There's not much of a use from these kind of comments. It just pisses me off.

There was good replies here that was useful and helped me, and I thank you guys for them.

Offline LuckyF

• View Profile

Reply #17 on: July 16, 2008, 11:49:35 am
Hello again. Got a liitle update. I think it's better now )

Offline joe123

• View Profile

Reply #18 on: July 16, 2008, 11:52:48 am
LOoks like she has a limp...

The torso moves too much really, and the legs don't move in unison with the torso.

Offline h4x0r

• View Profile

Reply #19 on: July 16, 2008, 03:41:18 pm
I personally think the walk animation is great...for a man.  I'm not trying to be sexist, but that walk animation isn't very womanly.  I mean, look at the idle image...she swings her hips at least when she walks.  Women also take shorter steps when they walk, yet I'm 6'2 and they always tell me to walk faster...  Anyways, that's my 2 cents.