AuthorTopic: Running animation  (Read 8748 times)

Offline coffee

• JohanAronson
    • View Profile

Running animation

on: May 07, 2008, 08:45:51 pm
Hi there!

I suppose no one knows who I am.. So maby I should consider myself new here for the moment.
This is not my first pixelart. I have been doing pixelart since 5 years ago actually.
I have done graphics to a couple of games and my art is quite a lot inspired by Kennethfejer's.

It's been some trouble with school so i haven't been able to do my art in about 2 years now..however,
I will try to start up again and I hope you will enjoy my works!

I made a small picture of myselves (my avatar...)
This is my try for a "running animation":

did this "update" later on:

Last update:

Personally I think it looks a bit stiff and it looks like his legs are faster than his arms but i can't figure out what it is? any idea?
You are very welcome to say whatever you feel!
« Last Edit: May 10, 2008, 11:50:23 am by coffee »

Offline Opacus

• Entangled
    • View Profile
    • www.jimjansen.net

Re: Running animation

Reply #1 on: May 07, 2008, 09:05:53 pm
I think the sprite is pretty nice. The Selout is too prominent though. Either lessen it, or get rid of it all together.
The main isue is the walk animation. It doesn't work. At all.
However, lucky for you, our big bad pal Ptoing just made a nice breakdown of a run animation in another recent thread:
http://www.wayofthepixel.net/pixelation/index.php?topic=6233.msg73689#msg73689

Take a look at it.
A walk animation basicly exists out of 4 key frames per side. So 8 in total per cycle.
The contact, the recoil, the passing and the high point.
In Ptoing's picture the 'extreme's' are basicly the high points in the animations. The kind of highest, furthest stretched point in the walk cycle.

The contact comes directly after the high point, and the passing directly before the high point.
With inbetween, the recoil.
I don't know if this actually is a normal way of aproaching this, it helps me out atleast.
Once you have all these, you can make more betweens, to smoothen out the walk animation.
Remember though, depending on your image speed you may not want to make it too smooth.

A thing that I think has alot to do with wy it looks wrong is that he nearly seems to be flying.
His legs spend far too much time in the air. Remember that when walking or running, you're pushing the ground away to propell yourself forward.
You're not trying to swim in the air :)
Something that can also help give your guy some character, is to turn his head a small bit when walking. Or making it woble up and down a bit.

Often it helps to just really look at yourself.
In the mirror, or just normally. Take a walk and see how each leg and arm moves when you take steps.

The walk animation aside again, is this a boy or a girl?
Not because of his face, which seems manly. But it's his shorts, which seems to react like a skirt.

That's about as much as I know of it, anyway. Hope it's some help, haha.

Here's a bit of an edit like example thing I cooked up.

It's quick and sloppy. But hopefuly gives you an idea?
« Last Edit: May 07, 2008, 10:19:26 pm by Opacus »

Offline coffee

• JohanAronson
    • View Profile

Reply #2 on: May 07, 2008, 11:35:47 pm
Hey!

thank you for the great critics! It really helped me a lot!

This is what I came up with:

I didn't bother doing the "bumping" now, just wanted to get the right motion
better?

(It's me, Male)  :P And the "skirt" is my black shorts
« Last Edit: May 07, 2008, 11:39:56 pm by coffee »

Offline Cure

• http://pixeljoint.com/p/2621.htm
    • facebook.com/logantannerart
    • View Profile

Reply #3 on: May 08, 2008, 12:12:17 am
The lack of head movement and insanely straight spine are the most glaring faults with the animation.  And the shorts would look much more like shorts if each leg of the shorts acted independently.

Offline Willows

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: May 08, 2008, 02:13:47 am
Analyzing this on the fly, so my conclusions might be a lil astray. Bear with me.

First things first, I dig the arms. This is primarily because they work a heck of a lot better than the legs do, but also because I very much doubt I could do better myself. Well done on that count.

The reason I'm posting at all, though, is that you still don't seem to understand the motions/functions of the legs, which isn't helping your animation be believable. Think about how your foot works while running. If you were to simplify it, you could do so by imagining the two points of contact (Heel and ball) connected by a steel rod that keeps them the same distance apart, but able to pivot independantly of each other. The edit below will demonstrate that.

That imaginary rod dictates that they stay roughly the same distance apart. Likewise, one should be imagined between the kneecap and ankle, and hips and kneecap. Those lengths should stay the same.

The below were more for my benefit than for yours, but I'd imagine they'd be of some use to you, so feel free to use 'em as you can.

That's about all I've got in me for today. As a closing note, I'd suggest increasing the difference between the two legs, as it's virtually impossible to tell which leg is in front and which is behind at any given moment. Avoid using minor edits of repeat frames unless the contrast between the legs is much larger. It works well enough for the arms because overlap makes it very easy to tell where the arm is positioned in space, but it doesn't work for the legs because the legs aren't thick enough to noticeably overlap.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2008, 02:18:26 am by Willows »

Offline Joseph

• Shut up and pixel.
    • View Profile

Reply #5 on: May 08, 2008, 05:03:14 am
what willow's pictures don't show, is the difference between the background and foreground on the legs, the left leg currently being in the background, being darker colors than the right leg, which is in the foreground.  they also don't any knees, which on your current animation, drop down pretty low...about 6 inches from the ground.  extend his feet in front of him further when he reaches to step, and then when he bends his knee, pull it up closer to his body.

to fix your black shorts from looking like a skirt, use what I said earlier, about the background and foreground.  leave the background leg black as it is, but use a dark gray on the foreground leg to bring it closer but keeping it an obvious black.

finally, your hips don't go backwards.  they pull forwards a bit, but when you move your leg back, your hip stops and waits for your leg to come forward again.

Offline coffee

• JohanAronson
    • View Profile

Reply #6 on: May 08, 2008, 07:05:38 am
I made this edit:

old new

first, I changed the background leg colour and put a brighter colour on the shorts.
second, I added some headmovement.
Third, I lifted the knee on the forth and last picture and made the knee shorter.

His spine is still straight..But I like it that way  :)

This is really great! Thank you for all the efforts to help me, I hope I don't disappoint you too much!
If it is something you want to add, you are welcome. However, I wont be able to answer so quickly due
to a pretty harsh national test in mathematics this week...

see you later!
« Last Edit: May 08, 2008, 07:28:06 am by coffee »

Offline robotacon

• robotacon
    • View Profile
    • It Got Dark

Reply #7 on: May 08, 2008, 07:24:41 am
I'm starting to feel like an idiot here because I'm constantly bringing it up but...
HEELSTRIKE!!!

You always land with your heel when your running and then you plant your toes.
With the next step your heel leaves the ground before your toes does.
In other words the heel leads your foot through the entire step.

ps. I like the design of the character. You're making great progress.

Offline PypeBros

• Pixel Padawan
    • PypeBros
    • View Profile
    • Bilou Homebrew's Blog.

Reply #8 on: May 08, 2008, 07:54:52 am
(It's me, Male)  :P And the "skirt" is my black shorts
a short would follow your leg much more. Here, it seems to just "stretch" when legs move appart, giving it a skirt look, indeed.

Offline Willows

• View Profile

Reply #9 on: May 09, 2008, 01:06:18 am
I'm starting to feel like an idiot here because I'm constantly bringing it up but...
HEELSTRIKE!!!

You always land with your heel when your running and then you plant your toes.
With the next step your heel leaves the ground before your toes does.
In other words the heel leads your foot through the entire step.

ps. I like the design of the character. You're making great progress.

Eh? Based on my memory whilst playing soccer, the faster I'm going the less likely my heels are to touch the ground at all, let alone strike the ground first. The ball of my foot absorbs almost all the impact. It is during a WALK that my heel strikes first. Perhaps I'm an anomaly :)

The new edit is an improvement, but two frames for the foot might be a few too few. The entire body weight is going into the contacted foot, so flat feet or 90 degree turned feet don't exactly make sense.

That being said, it reads well enough as a run animation as-is. Could certainly be improved upon, but it's clear enough as-is if that's all you were going for.

Offline Sherman Gill

• View Profile

Reply #10 on: May 09, 2008, 03:27:06 am
Ah, but you don't use the entirety of your foot. I mean, you can, and I did as a child, but it hurts like hell after a while and makes you move slower.
Oh yes naked women are beautiful
But I like shrimps more haha ;)

Offline Joseph

• Shut up and pixel.
    • View Profile

Reply #11 on: May 09, 2008, 04:15:45 am
I really only changed the legs a bit in a couple frames and helped with the coloring/shading in some spots.
I moved his back foot down in one of the frames.  it's like he snaps them down as he steps forward.  I think I improved the snapping so it's a bit smoother, but you'll need to do more to completely fix it.

don't ask about the background.  promotion couldn't figure out what colors to choose for the palette...

Offline Feron

• Carpe Diem
    • View Profile
    • Pixelheart

Reply #12 on: May 09, 2008, 08:58:12 am
Whats with the dissapearing knee highlight.... very distracting.

its improved, but it still doesnt look very natural....

Offline robotacon

• robotacon
    • View Profile
    • It Got Dark

Reply #13 on: May 09, 2008, 09:20:29 am
Here is an edit that addresses most of my issues.

I leaned him forward a bit.
The leg is stretched out more when taking the step.
There are proper contact frames when the foot hits and leaves the ground.
I tried to get a more distinct arm movement, like he's putting some effort into it.
The head moves along a circular path.
I tried to put some bounce into the hoodie.

/robo

ps
I bumped it up to 12 frames. I'm sorry about that. 8 frames is probably easier to animate because you can draw the inbetweens much easier.

Offline coffee

• JohanAronson
    • View Profile

Reply #14 on: May 09, 2008, 02:20:53 pm
Hi again!

sorry i kept you waiting :)
Its great that you help me this much!

Edit:

(sorry for the black dotts from his foot in the right corner)

I changed 2 foot frames when he is landing so he is now doing the famus heelstrike  ::)
I leaned him forward some and gave his body a little movement...

better now?  ;D

Offline Shrike

• View Profile

Reply #15 on: May 09, 2008, 11:03:20 pm
Hey, welcome!

you have improved quite a bit, but the run looks mechanic. it like... snaps from position to position. more fluid like in robotacon's edit. a more prominent heelstrike would be good, and lean him into the run a little.

great work!
:D

Offline robotacon

• robotacon
    • View Profile
    • It Got Dark

Reply #16 on: May 10, 2008, 06:07:45 am
You have four frames that look very similar where one leg passes over the other.
During those frames the foot in the air travels a very short distance.
I have some of that problem in my edit as well.

This is a recolor of your latest run cycle with some trace data.

From these traces you can see that the foot travels at different speeds on the ground too.
Just move frames 2 and 6 back one pixel and it looks much better.

The arm movement is pretty good now, probably better than the one in my 12frame silhouette.
In frames 3 and 7 I guessed where you have the hidden arm. I'm not sure that was where you intended it to be.
In my version I'm hanging a little longer on the arm movement when the arms change direction but I'm not sure that's better.

EDIT:

here's your and mine next to each other

It's obvious my version has a few issues. I've messed up the speed of the foot movement as well.
And nothing really moves in a smooth path and I have no idea of how I was thinking about the arm movement.

I wll might make an new edit, 8 frames full color, that I can feel happy about.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2008, 08:23:28 am by robotacon »

Offline alkaline

• may be caustic
    • designflaw
    • awstenn
    • View Profile

Reply #17 on: May 10, 2008, 09:14:52 pm
it's a little sloppy but i think it can help if you look at this

as robotacon said, the tweening needs to be fixed in some areas.
also, there is too much forward and backward movement going on with the head, and the body is practically still.
what happens is, when one of your feet lands in front of you, it is bent forward, right? so your whole upper body lowers.

my edit is still a little strange looking actually but it covers most of the important problems.

also: the selout is a little harsh looking  !yus!

Offline Opacus

• Entangled
    • View Profile
    • www.jimjansen.net

Reply #18 on: May 10, 2008, 09:19:32 pm
Yeah, I explained the whole outlining thing to you. Now go use it on this sprite!

Offline robotacon

• robotacon
    • View Profile
    • It Got Dark

Reply #19 on: May 11, 2008, 06:32:55 am
what happens is, when one of your feet lands in front of you, it is bent forward, right? so your whole upper body lowers.
That is true but I wouldn't throw away the contact frame where the leg is straight for a catch frame with a bent knee.
You can have them both in there but with only 8 frames to work with it could be a hassle.
I've got a catch frame with a bent knee in my 12 frame version but I try not to go too deep.

Offline Fool

• View Profile
    • Fool's House

Reply #20 on: May 11, 2008, 02:48:31 pm
I think alkaline's edit is very cool, I would lean a torso forward a bit to get more feel of it.