AuthorTopic: Tileset and Animations  (Read 12947 times)

Offline vierbit

• 0.09 posts per day
    • View Profile

Re: Tileset and Animations

Reply #10 on: May 02, 2008, 04:27:33 pm
Game title: Kings Kväst
http://www.audmobile.com/game-details.htm?game=236

@Ben
I know the animations are not perfect, i also find it often boring to do some.
For animating i use both, rough keyframes(the runcycle for example) and copy/paste.
Animating more technical stuff is far more easier for me though.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2008, 02:53:16 pm by vierbit »

Offline Draco9898

• Toucan-tastic.
    • View Profile
    • Trevor Dunbar's website

Reply #11 on: May 04, 2008, 03:44:08 pm
wow, great work. Trully inspired. I have nothing more to say. I like the edited pallete and the non-edited pallete for some reason
« Last Edit: May 04, 2008, 05:14:07 pm by Draco9898 »

Offline AdamAtomic

• natural born medic
    • View Profile
    • Adam Atomic

Reply #12 on: May 06, 2008, 05:44:09 pm
I agree that the tileset should stay lower-contrast, like it is now.  However, the characters I think need a LOT more contrast, they all seem to blend quite a bit into the background, maybe this is not so much a problem when they're in motion?

Really fun tiles, very...Amiga/Megadrive to me, not sure why :)  Nice job!

Offline PypeBros

• Pixel Padawan
    • PypeBros
    • View Profile
    • Bilou Homebrew's Blog.

Reply #13 on: May 07, 2008, 07:45:33 am
impressive artwork. i'm just not quite convinced by the vulture attacking (won't he fall if he stops flapping wings when doing the attack ?) and by the "walking with chainsaw" animation (where the chainsaw seems not be not that solid. Maybe sub-pixel or AA would have help'd us into believe that this is actually a rigid chainsaw oscillating.

Offline robotacon

• robotacon
    • View Profile
    • It Got Dark

Reply #14 on: May 07, 2008, 08:41:37 am
It looks fantastic, but at this size it could look even better with more subpixel consideration.
Currently you're moving pixels around relying too much on copy/paste.

Study Ben2theEdge's latest animations (or his avatar) for some great examples.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2008, 08:43:30 am by robotacon »

Offline Conzeit

• Camus
    • conzeit
    • View Profile
    • CONZEIT

Reply #15 on: May 07, 2008, 01:48:56 pm
Ditto with B.O.B on your tiling, jawesome  :D

Dont even think of changing the contrast of that background! it has a godly awesome arcade platformer feel to it that is worth it's bits in gold :p
I think however low the contrast is (and I think it's fine) the platforms are flat and obvious enough that realistically nobody playing it could feel confused. I'd hate to change the mockup, but if I absolutely had to I'd just light up the foreground platforms, there's just something soooo beautiful about those uncontrasted shadows

However, you MUST do the kind of upped contrast Ptoing suggested for the background on the characters instead. They just blend in way badly.

Animationwise, they all look quite evidently boxed in, the vulture most of all. it seems as if they KNOW they're inside a ## by ## field and wont move too much so as to not exceed that limit. I think you went overboard with taking advantage of all your space and didnt leave room for your actions...hope you learnt your lesson you little punk, you  :crazy:

Dude, I like the feel of the background so much...but I cant place what it reminds me of. Did you think of any specific game as you drew it?

Offline Opacus

• Entangled
    • View Profile
    • www.jimjansen.net

Reply #16 on: May 07, 2008, 02:17:15 pm
Ditto with B.O.B on your tiling, jawesome  :D

Dont even think of changing the contrast of that background! it has a godly awesome arcade platformer feel to it that is worth it's bits in gold :p
I think however low the contrast is (and I think it's fine) the platforms are flat and obvious enough that realistically nobody playing it could feel confused. I'd hate to change the mockup, but if I absolutely had to I'd just light up the foreground platforms, there's just something soooo beautiful about those uncontrasted shadows

However, you MUST do the kind of upped contrast Ptoing suggested for the background on the characters instead. They just blend in way badly.

Animationwise, they all look quite evidently boxed in, the vulture most of all. it seems as if they KNOW they're inside a ## by ## field and wont move too much so as to not exceed that limit. I think you went overboard with taking advantage of all your space and didnt leave room for your actions...hope you learnt your lesson you little punk, you  :crazy:

Dude, I like the feel of the background so much...but I cant place what it reminds me of. Did you think of any specific game as you drew it?

I reminds me of Henk Nieborg. Perhaps that's who you were thinking of?
Anyway, this is completely awesome. Sorry, I don't have anything usefull to say furthermore. I just love it.

Offline [High Templar] Tassadar

• View Profile

Reply #17 on: May 07, 2008, 03:42:18 pm
it all looks very pretty to me  :), only thing i find a bit strange is the animation of the chainsaw when he's running: it looks a little bit wobbly (as if it's falling apart) beautiful stuff elsewise and post more!

edit: oh, OH! it's swedish! mouahahahaha!

Offline Elk

• Choice Architect & Nudger
    • elkdarkshire
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/4683.htm
    • darkshire
    • darkshire.elk
    • View Profile

Reply #18 on: May 07, 2008, 05:25:54 pm
this is very very nice :D good work
the original with the brown as darkest color of the tree is better one, really awesome ^^
the ambience of the jungle can be felt :D

btw i use a similar technique now...
my art professor told me to avoid using black in colors :p (did that when drawing a casper david friedrich-like "ice" tempra painting, but i used black
for snowshading and it looked so dirty ^^
you didnt use any black <3 ^^
i love it
« Last Edit: May 07, 2008, 05:29:53 pm by Elk »
Open for business
elkdarkshire@gmail.com
Elk#2299

Offline vierbit

• 0.09 posts per day
    • View Profile

Reply #19 on: May 07, 2008, 07:42:10 pm
Thanks for the comments guys.

Tileset, Colors

@[High Templar] Tassadar
yeah i know the issue with the chainsaw, my goal was actually to show it tilting, doesnt work in the right way.

@Elk
Iam surely not an art professor nor do i painted much in the past, but attleast in pixelart black has its use, imo.
Would blue not better suited for snowshading? Oh and black is actually not a color ;) afaik