AuthorTopic: Yaaaarrrgh! Here be a pirate! **UPDATED** Mock up added  (Read 10659 times)

Offline Xion

• View Profile
    • FourbitFriday
He has a massive ear.
Like EvilEye said, his feet get real pancakey what with the 45 degree lines on the back-kick and whatnot. In fact, I don't even think the feet should be at that wide an angle. Maybe something more like / ?
Also,
He has a massive ear.

Offline monteboyd

• View Profile
    • monteboyd.com
C+C noted, thanks guys I'll see what I can do about it.

Originally I designed him with a massive ear because I was going to give him an earing. But then the earing just added readability issues so I took it out. I'll reduce the size of the ear.

Offline monteboyd

• View Profile
    • monteboyd.com
Some changes to outlining and feet on the run. I've actually kept the big ears and added the earring. I tried taking away the big ears and kinda felt like he was losing some of his character.

Offline Fool

• View Profile
    • Fool's House
Thats a nice character.=) The only issue with animation i see - his arms are way too long compared to the stil. Try to combine run cycle with a standing and you'll see the problem.

Also with his head rotated that much I got a feel he doesn't have a neck and his head attached straight to the shoulders since it follows directly. Oh well, maybe just me.=)
« Last Edit: May 05, 2008, 01:56:06 pm by Fool »

Offline EvilEye

• Game Developer Extroaordinaire
    • View Profile
Nice, but maybe you should use a different color for the earing, it looks like part of the ear to me.

Offline Xion

• View Profile
    • FourbitFriday
I agree with fool, the head rotates too much.
earring looks awesome.

Offline monteboyd

• View Profile
    • monteboyd.com
Thanks for the feedback everyone. I'll reduce the amount of rotation in the head and shrink his arms a little in the run.
I'll also change the colour of the earring - make it more gold - although that will mean I'll have to stop using Arne's 16 colour palette. That was bound to happen eventually as keeping to a 16 colour palette is not the aim of this project but it was a great starting point.

Offline PypeBros

• Pixel Padawan
    • PypeBros
    • View Profile
    • Bilou Homebrew's Blog.
Some changes to outlining and feet on the run. I've actually kept the big ears and added the earring. I tried taking away the big ears and kinda felt like he was losing some of his character.

wow. That one will really be fun to play with... i can't wait to see him shoot a hookshot to reach treasures and slay cannibals with his saber ^_^

Offline AdamAtomic

• natural born medic
    • View Profile
    • Adam Atomic
Classic animation problem here!  This is something I used to do ALL the time and it always bugged me and it wasn't until I had to do like 5 or 6 straight runcycles on different characters for a job that I figured out what was going on.

The issue here is that your intervals are too even.  This is a really natural thing to want to do when animating pixel art!  For example, when animating the arm that is closest to us, one would instinctively place the hand say 3 pixels from its former position on each frame.  That is, the hand would move at 3 px per frame in a uniform fashion.  This has a tendency to yield a fairly wooden, boring, but also an oddly reversible result that can create a bit of an optical illusion.  I would advocate trying out something like this:

Assuming this is a 6-frame animation that starts at one of the key frames (arm fully extended either to the front or the rear):

Old Intervals: 3-3-3-3-3-3

New Intervals: 2-5-2-2-5-2

Or something like that.  Essentially, slow the hand down as it approaches the apex/zenith/whatever.  This will add some weight and acceleration when played back at a steady framerate, and it will look pretty sexy!

Offline monteboyd

• View Profile
    • monteboyd.com
Thanks for the advice Adam and right you are about the first frame being a key with arms and legs extended. I will definitely give what you've mentioned a shot as I was going to shorten the arms as per Fool's advice as well.