AuthorTopic: Skeletroids dump - Update: You've got friends!  (Read 56544 times)

Offline AlienQuark

• be triangular
    • View Profile

Re: Skeletroids dump

Reply #20 on: April 18, 2008, 03:46:51 pm
I think the idle animation is good, but the pause he has in his breathing either needs to go, to be more like your avatar, or it needs to be more subtle. It looks kinda weird with the pause in there in my opinion.

As for the jump animation, I think i'd give him more hang time, right now it seems like he could barely jump over anything. but it's still a WIP so maybe you already realize that fact.

In general I'm loving everything in here, you've got so much talent for this stuff. I want to see a game out of this! You've taunted us with so many mockups and loveable character designs. Give us the goods already!!!

Offline chriskot

• View Profile

Reply #21 on: April 18, 2008, 04:24:56 pm
All of this amazing.

My only criticism is about the jump animation and the fact that his hair doesn't move. I'm pretty sure that you were going to fix that anyway though.

That boss is indeed still in the game; all the "main" bosses are dinosaur themed actually.
It sounds like you know what the other bosses look like. Do you have any other boss finished/in construction? Because if you do, I'm pretty sure we'd all like to see them. That one boss is fantastic.

Great stuff. Keep up the good work.

Offline buloght

• View Profile

Reply #22 on: April 18, 2008, 04:28:45 pm
I think I'm being too detailed an ass in this one  :P but the hat-thing in his run view has the lines rotated at the same angle as idle stance though the head is rotated differently.

Anyways, I absolutely love this, this new character and especially the dino boss from before. I was wondering about the enemies, you used to have a small feet style for your main character too, now his style changed somewhat, will you re-model the enemies too in that regard? I'm not certain if it's important though, everything looks perfect :).

Offline Xion

• View Profile
    • FourbitFriday

Reply #23 on: April 18, 2008, 11:27:59 pm
I think the idle animation is good, but the pause he has in his breathing either needs to go, to be more like your avatar, or it needs to be more subtle. It looks kinda weird with the pause in there in my opinion.
totally agreed. If he's supposed to be breathing slowly its way too unsubtle. The whole rise-fall thing doesn't look like a controlled breath. If he's supposed to be ready/breathing hard or something, the pause just totally messes with that appearance. I mean, if you're ready you wanna be actively moving, not "I'm ready now. Oh wait not yet. Now okay. No. Yeah. No. Yeah." The way his arm is limp at his side, contributes to this unreadiness too, methinks.

In the jump, when he lands, the sword looks entirely too light the way it just settles onto his shoulder. Like a smooth rotation into place. I think it'd look more weighty if you had it go down quickly from its upward-pointing position, then overshoot the target angle by a bit, and then rotate back onto the shoulder comfortably.

Offline Faceless

• View Profile

Reply #24 on: April 19, 2008, 04:27:15 am
Agree with AlienQuark and Xion on the idle.

I also have a concern with the weapon. It just doesn't look like the circular end is capable of rotating; it looks like one solid length of metal with a stud in it.
I'd suggest going with something more like this:

Offline Ben2theEdge

• I'ma drink mah coffee!
    • View Profile
    • My Deviantart Gallery

Reply #25 on: April 22, 2008, 04:33:07 am
Faceless: Good idea w/ the sword. Maybe I'll play around with it some more.
Xion: I agree about the idle anim; I tried removing that pause in-game and it looks far better. I still don't like it though; I'm thinking of doing something very subtle, maybe at the sub-pixel level.

I made some progress on the jumping animation.

And normally I don't post stuff this rough, but I wanted to give everyone a peek at one of the bosses  :D

Hopefully my skills have improved since the last time I attempted something this big, haha. (Having a Wacom definitely helps)
« Last Edit: April 22, 2008, 04:35:05 am by Ben2theEdge »
I mild from suffer dislexia.

Offline tehwexxl0rz

• Swing the bat.
    • ianwexl0rz
    • https://pixeljoint.com/p/15996.htm
    • View Profile
    • Ian Wexler | Game Developer

Reply #26 on: April 22, 2008, 05:23:13 am
The jumping animation is great! My one critique would be how the hair SHOOTS up on the descend. I think even one in-between frame would make it look much more natural.

Great work in general! That new boss looks awesome. :D

Offline EvilEye

• Game Developer Extroaordinaire
    • View Profile

Reply #27 on: April 22, 2008, 05:29:59 am
 The right arm on the jumping animation bugs me. The forearm is doing something weird when he falls back down.

I am not sure if it should be horizontal like that.

Other then that it is great.

The dino is nice, but it looks like someone shot a missile through his nose.

Offline Conzeit

• Camus
    • conzeit
    • View Profile
    • CONZEIT

Reply #28 on: April 22, 2008, 06:01:42 am
LMAO at the boxer dino! the bosses here look like they'd be fun. I can already imagine smashing at them oldschool noitu-love style =)

the tigh to the right (from our view) is definitively a whole lot shorter than the LEFT one.....and lacks that trapesoid shape. Everything else seems good to keep working on. if I were to change something I'd give him a stance from which it'd be more easy to go into footwork.
You should probably give the armguards on the right a bit more of a cone shape, it's much too round and reasembling the fist right now...one easy way would be to make the highlight triangular...although, I think it'd be best if you just came up with a diferent type of armguard
« Last Edit: April 23, 2008, 04:32:43 am by Conceit »

Offline buloght

• View Profile

Reply #29 on: April 22, 2008, 11:36:35 am
The boss looks great. It's still rough as you say, but those arms are very confusing, as well as the head. In case of the hands they fight too much with the metal on his chest (if it is on his chest and not held by his hands), considering his big head and shoulders, his metal on the chest will be covered more in shadow which will help the arms be more clear. And it's impossible for his right (our left) hand to be so far accross below his body considering where his red arm guard extends at the far side. I would agree with conceit, the arm guards are very round and red and adds to the confusion for me (and overly cartoony maybe), I would change them to different arm guards. The holes on his head is also a little unclear still. I know you say its still rough so ignore what I say if you are still working on parts. Keep up the good work  :y:

edit: you have do something about the yellow outlines on the skeleton belt buckle thing.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2008, 11:42:33 am by buloght »