AuthorTopic: 3:4 perspective door issues  (Read 4281 times)

Offline fingas10

• View Profile

3:4 perspective door issues

on: August 02, 2016, 04:56:57 pm
How can I make the side door and side walls fit the perspective more correctly? Now It looks like the character is sitting on top of the wall for the side doors that are open.

UPDATE I recolored the wall tops, made the side walls thinner, added a 1 pixel layer of visible side on the inner wall face of the side walls. I think it is a big improvement. Still not sure about that open side door though...

UPDATE UPDATE I changed the side doors, partially based on suggestions. Still not perfect because the feet overlap the top of the wall but not much else can be done.

« Last Edit: August 08, 2016, 03:29:54 pm by fingas10 »

Offline Cherno

• View Profile

Re: 3:4 perspective door issues

Reply #1 on: August 02, 2016, 08:40:36 pm
What irks me most is that the tiles are qudratic while they should be rectangular (more wide than tall) at this perpsective.

Offline surt

• Meat by-product
    • not_surt
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/2254.htm
    • View Profile
    • Uninhabitant

Reply #2 on: August 03, 2016, 02:45:59 am
Very hard to read as is. I thought the floors and walls were swapped.

I'd suggest going for something like Laser Squad or Lords of Chaos with thinner walls.

happymonster's Space Crusade stuff is a good example:

Also, is it weird to combine perspectives like this?
Yes.

Offline fingas10

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: August 03, 2016, 04:58:45 am
I took my inspiration from doom RL tiles, I think my walls need color work.

Offline fingas10

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: August 03, 2016, 02:13:41 pm
_
« Last Edit: August 08, 2016, 02:03:32 pm by fingas10 »

Offline fingas10

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: August 08, 2016, 02:03:43 pm
bump for feedback

Offline Curly

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: August 08, 2016, 02:08:02 pm
I think the floor and walls need more contrast and some color. Look at the references that were already posted.

Offline fingas10

• View Profile

Reply #7 on: August 08, 2016, 02:29:45 pm
Both have already been given more color and contrast, I don't want to get to the point where the walls and floor are more noticeable than the characters. I'm trying to keep the characters and monsters as the first thing your eye is drawn to. I also need the black outlines to separate limbs and body parts for the characters so I can give more customization options. I would prefer shifting hues and not having black outlines but when people start altering colors for character customization, things will get messy.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2016, 02:42:41 pm by fingas10 »

Offline Jim16

• Damian_G_R
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/18544.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #8 on: August 09, 2016, 07:39:36 pm
Both have already been given more color and contrast, I don't want to get to the point where the walls and floor are more noticeable than the characters.
Colour wise the floor and walls are pretty much grayscale at the moment with little to no colour (Those yellow lights don't count!). So in terms of adding colour, working with metal its very common to shift the darker colours to purple and the brighter colours to a bright blue or yellow colour. All within reason though, shift to much in either direction and things might look a bit funky  :crazy:

Now on to contrast, which Curly kindly pointed out is still a problem. But I'll take a twist on the "there is a contrast problem" and talk briefly about values instead. So when we're talking about values were talking about the range in colour between the darkest black to the brightest white. Its important to know that outside in the real world you can see almost a full range of values (unless its dark out  :noob:), even in the middle of the day you'll find a very large range in values. My point here being that an image not using a good range of values generally has contrast issues. And looking at your image the tiles in use for walls and floors have colours that tend to sit in a small range smack dab in the middle of the full range. The fact that the floor and walls both  share that small range means that visually there is little contrast between the two tiles, which is weird seeing as both receive different amounts of light. This can cause a few visual problems, such as the image looking flat, or our eyes translating the walls and floors as inverted, which I think Surt pointed out. So when people talk about contrast, don't think about colours only but also contrast between objects receiving different amounts of light.

Now on to fixing those values. So what I like to do is make the image grayscale, as I've done below. In grayscale all colours have been converted to greys sharing the same value, and visually its then easier to work out whats goings wrong with the image, because you know, sometimes those pesky colours can play tricks on your mind! What I like to do then is add blobs of both pure black and white and then some other values in between the two to reference against. A gradient might be better though.

Checking values
And as you can see while the characters are mostly okay, the tiles aren't. They all share that small range of values I mentioned before. Now I'm going to up the contrast based on what I can see. And I can see that the your values fall short on the brighter side of things, so I just want to push them up a bit, not all the way up though, I want to have a realistic range and make sure everything looks fine based on what material they are. Hopefully now the image makes better use of a larger range of colours.

Does that look better?
You should see there's a noticeable difference, the tiles just pop out that bit more. Do take into account though that I've done this very crudely, so the sprites are probably all over the place as I'm focusing on the tiles.
Next, still not right. When I made the values of the wall tiles brighter, I did so because they were just slightly brigher than the floor tiles in the original. But when you take light into account, if the light source is from above, then the top of the walls and the floors are facing the light source so will be brighter and the side of the walls pure and simple aren't, so should be darker. So I changed that.

Fixed things based on light source
So if you compare the first with what we have now, you can clearly see that there is a clear contrast between the walls and floors and overall a better range of values.

Now all thats left is to add colour. Which I've done as quickly as possible, but I hope it gets the point across.

I've rambled on long enough, I hope that helps.

Please also post your most current update in your posts too.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2016, 07:45:21 pm by Jim16 »

Offline fingas10

• View Profile

Reply #9 on: August 10, 2016, 11:42:08 am
Thanks a lot for the tips! I really like the contrast changes you made. I was worried that it would make the characters not stand out from the background but I think it actually retained the characters while giving everything more depth. I modified the colors for my tileset and made some slight changes to character contrast. I also dropped the yellows to match the wall darkness throughout. Here is one more sample layout with the new tile colors.

These tiles are actually for the ship used as a home base, so wont include monsters. But I just like playing around to get a feel for things.

« Last Edit: August 10, 2016, 01:13:48 pm by fingas10 »